Reviews for O, Brave New World
Silvara chapter 13 . 12/11/2013
Hi! So...where to begin? This and the first chapter are my favorite ones. Through all 27 chapters of the story, enjoyed the delicacy of dome passages and the finite cruelty of others, even if those were generally a tad bit overdone. Especially with the veryyyyyyy… long onomatopoeia (I'm not sure that the correct word) sometime stretching on 3-4 lines...(?), the unexplained italics passages...premonitions (?) seldom broke the flow of the narration, confusing and did not improve the narration in any way IMO. A few tech inaccuracies like video games sprites hinted at being programs. I can see Tron mistaking them for that, but it would have been easy for the users to explain. In these games, there is an AI which impersonates all enemy characters plus the avatar's commands, simulate everything and calculate the scores. I don't see how there could be derezzing anywhere in the process. Even if the sprites where independent characters, they would simply disappear from the screen, their configuration would be reset, but they would still not be wiped out). If Flynn or Alan had took time to explain that to Tron, none of the drama could have ensued, so this plot device didn't really work for me. Now, to build drama, there are plenty others things a program could be traumatized about, namely the fragility of a computer System, wiping out programs accidentally or seeing his own user format his computer. Because that would technically have been real genocides then. Then feeling unimportant, non real, less than a true person, beginning to realize that the Grid might just be a sandbox game for Flynn. These would be take a lot of ice cream and false user promises to begin to calm.
On another topic, I don't see why Flynn was so stubborn about keeping Tron out of his System from chapter 2 to the end, when was never supposed to be the purpose of his trip out. Why he tell Alan something as big and hard to believe as programs being sentient but won't tell him he has found a way for Lora's laser to bring them in, that nothing kept him from visit Tron on the Grid. Then, when Tron says he can never go back because he has seen too much to fight for the general users or Flynn, then why doesn't he simply ask Alan to be rezzed on his System (it would be easy to configure a drive to look like the ENCOM server for him), or on the Grid, but with independent functions and a slight upgrade in is purpose so he would be on the same ground as CLU or even Flynn there.
Jordan was a little uncanny (devious to point of caricature, egoist beyond limit, and then changing her mind quite simply).
For a 27 long chapters, considering the length of this review, and despite of these little things, your story really moved me and made me care (at least until I understood) I'm very glad that you didn't try to change Tron, making it seem easy for a program to fit into the analogical world, or to question the reality of his own world as I've seldom read in others fanfiction because, just as Alan and Kevin realized too late, alienation through forced assimilation is never alright. And I don't know how much you're accustomed with, but the scan reports really sounded like the real deal. Too bad that Alan never got know the real Tron, that himself was so egoist, that Flynn is never taking anything seriously, and that Tron didn't got to ask Alan to restore Yori and then Flynn to take her /out/ too. This was a great story, with very deep and touching moments, heartbreakingly so. Which is maybe the reason I feel a little bit frustrated by the conclusion. The Brave New World theme was fantastically followed and revisited Tron-verse. So very much that the overall story let me with the same feelings as the original book did.
For another end, I could have imagined the epilogue to happen while Alan is trying to break Tron free out of some military base en route to Nevada or something, and both of them ending killed. But I maybe you wanted the tragedy to look less merciful and with more horror elements for the final? SO I pointed out many things, but just remember that the overall result was quite impressive in its sick Huxley like poetry. Tron, Alan and Flynn were very realist character in a way, and relatively unrealistic in another.
I especially enjoyed the sweet 'Alan-One' cuddling moments which made sense from what I now realize to be a twisted and egoistic way from Alan's point of view. His so special User/Maker/Admin's tenderness was quite deceiving, and perhaps somewhat conditional because Alan cannot only delude himself for so long through the years.
If Tron had happened to break his illusion of a filial bond in a sudden way, like by breaking the codes of that kind of relationship through eagerness/ignorance, or even insisting to be regarded as a program with every detail it entailed, I'm not so sure how the programmer would have kept his creation so close anymore. Anyway; under your pen, those were moments with a very precise, on-tune solemnity, one sadly rare among others fanfictions and one of which I shall never tire. :)
"He would have to forget everything he had ever accepted as truth - even, to his surprise and dismay, his User himself - and instead be the willing tool and servant of another entity altogether."
The passage, among may genius others, tricked home. I tend to find it creepy how when it comes to Tron, both in the franchise and in some other fanfiction, it is easily forgotten or shrugged off that Tron's User is also his Admin and his Maker, which must had considerably reinforced the normal bond common User-believing program normally have to theirs, and made it ever more impossible to accept being put in another System without normal updates, authorized directives, I/O intimacy, and being the only one to experience it, as all others Grid program call Flynn the Creator instead of the Administrator, hinting that he may have created/duplicated all of them himself. That is, among all others things that Kevin neglected (no compatible directive, critical reports shrugged off, no explanation for being severed from Alan among other things, if not alienation from unauthorized patches/possibly forced upgrades, etc.) So...well that's why I always feel better when I see Tron&Alan interacting as they should (neither as strangers nor as as lovers). and having that mystical connection between User soul and Program's spirit follow even into our world.
Besides, I love how true the character sound if they are to be situated midway between the two movies.

A last thing I'd like to ask is about the concluding chapter. Since I not a native English speaker, I may have forgotten a reference or a clue there or there. I'd love it if you could explain who was the Creature/Warrior so I can sleep peacefully again without being haunted by all of these /feels/ anymore. XD
Briannajs-22 chapter 27 . 1/25/2013
Correction - 27 was rather unexpected. Talk about a plot-twist.
Briannajs-22 chapter 26 . 1/22/2013
Different ending then expected. But nicely well done. Shame that Tron never was able to get back home.
3LW00D chapter 26 . 1/22/2013
*clutches heart* These past two chapters...author I believe you are trying to break my heart. This story is so wonderfully written, but damn it is heart-wrenching.
kiyohunter chapter 25 . 1/20/2013
Oh my God. Is this the end? Since this is is labeled a tragedy. Tron' s going to commit suicide by hanging himself, isn't he? Please tell me it doesn't end here.

Excuse me while I go sob in a corner.
FlynnLivesndIwilbuildtheGrid chapter 25 . 1/20/2013
screw plot bust down the arcade door and go home tron give it a good kick show the whole world!
Briannajs-22 chapter 25 . 1/20/2013
Just...wow. Here's hoping it's a nightmare Tron can wake up from. O_O
Galaxiacana chapter 25 . 1/20/2013
Wow, poor Tron! And where's Flynn? Trapped on the Grid? This chapter has me hooked, and I cannot wait to read more. Easily a :D rating for awesomeness.
Briannajs-22 chapter 24 . 1/18/2013
Interesting fortune reading. Glad to see both Alan and Flynn agreed they haven't been fair to Tron during this whole ordeal. No wonder why the guy's sporting gray.
Galaxiacana chapter 24 . 1/18/2013
These chapters have been so interesting so far, and they never fail to keep me captivated. I really can't wait for the next chapter, especially if Tron finally returns to the Grid. Seriously, well done :D
kiyohunter chapter 24 . 1/18/2013
Cue plot-twist. I can almost see it coming.
Briannajs-22 chapter 23 . 1/18/2013
Love the symbolism found within the latter portion of ch. 23 with how much alike the situation of Tron and the bottled-up butterfly really is. Can't understand why those supposedly his friends won't acknowledge they're killing Tron by forcing him to stay.

Although I am curious about the legality of Tom Bradley's existence, or actual lack thereof. He would possess none of the official I.D. or any other important papers. Not even a Social Security number or a birth certificate to "prove" he's an American citizen. (I'm sure Tron would love to be "deported" back to his true home if the authorities went that far...but whta would then become of the Grid?)

Can't wait to read the rest.
Briannajs-22 chapter 22 . 1/10/2013
Now I'm really starting to get worried for Tron. Another -year- passes by? Isn't this all killing him bit by bit (no pun intended. Ok, maybe pun was intended). Gotta wonder what Flynn is playing at. And whether or nor Alan actually would help Tron fulfil his wish if it meant they may not see one another again.

In the earlier portion of the story Tron did overhear his User didn't even expect him to be a sentient, living being. Since Alan was first caught up in a dream world of having the program as a son...will be hard for them both when reality kicks in.
kiyohunter chapter 22 . 1/10/2013
Not much to say about this chapter (I'm getting in that mood where I feel as though I don't leave thought provoking reviews and thus am not fit to say anything).

My only reactions were: Tron-Tom has an admirer. But is she more interested in his connection to Flynn? Also, look like we'll never see Tron return to the Grid. He's going to miss the whole coup, should it happen. I genuinely thought Flynn would have his mysterious disappearance in this chapter. Not that I'm miss it, but I really was expecting him to vanish after saying he'd take Tron back.

But the ending...Tron/Yori feels all over.
Briannajs-22 chapter 21 . 1/4/2013
Came in late. Enjoying reading your work though. Have to feel for Tron though. Dealing with gridbugs must be way easier than human.

Doesn't surprise me Flynn's hesitant on taking Tron back to the Grid. Ironic since when when the Program was first invited on the -vacation- Flynn didn't expect he would really be staying. Can't help but wonder just why Flynn's stalling.
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »