Reviews for Not That Girl
Child of Dreams chapter 1 . 5/16/2019
Cinderella?
Clar the Pirate chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
Oh man, I realised as soon as they announced the engagement ball ("they primly correct inside" - such a well-made distinction) just what you had to have used as your inspiration from 'The Glass Riddle' and read the rest of it with my heart in my throat.
Unfair unfair unfair. Is this what it feels like to readers when I write these endings because I take it all back. EVERY ENDING SHOULD BE HAPPY.
Gah, I'm so exquisitely dejected. And I love the girl, her honesty and hope and terrible poise in the face of heart-break.
I'm going to go read it again now.
Elfine Starkadder chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Oh my goodness! Not only is this short story just splendid and well-written, it's sprung, somehow, in all its purple-velvet-and-romancy wondrousness, from my story?
I love it that you've written it from the perpective of someone else watching Cinderella and the prince together. (Wait a minute...that does sound a little familiar! I see now!) It's beautifully done, too.
"You try to keep your castle in the air together, reminding yourself of everything you have shared together over the years, providing explanations for why he behaves so, why you were left alone under the stars that night…" I really admire that sentence, because it's a clear and heartbreaking telling of how she feels; and you could take it out of context and apply it to any relationship that's falling apart (or simply not happening like you thought it would).
"He never came after you whenever you stormed off in a huff, whether due to genuine hurt or playing coy. It was always Erik who followed you." I love the foreshadowing-of-sorts there, lifting the curtain a little and showing how it is Erik who really loves her, even if she doesn't notice - yet. It gives us a glimpse of a potentially happy future. I like happy endings and sad endings, and when both are combined I am very pleased and go fluttering around with bittersweet feelings. (Kind of like when I watched "Tuck Everlasting".)
Oh, and it can't be exactly a coincidence that Joy Williams was singing "Halleluuuuuuuujah, halleluuuuuuujah" just as I was reading the dedication. Because that's what I felt like saying! Thank you!