Reviews for Keeping up Appearances
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 9/20/2012
I love this portrayal of Druella. It's interesting to see how she copes with the situation and her determination to still find a way to get the best for her daughters. I like how you manage to portray her strength along with her other characteristics to make her a believable character.
dragonflybeach chapter 1 . 9/18/2012
You've shown a dark, unconventional side to the Black family, well written, and makes sense, considering how they believe family and blood status are more important than anything else. Good story.
Gamma Orionis chapter 1 . 9/15/2012
I loved the way you wrote the characters here. It's wonderful, reading how different people imagine these characters we know nothing about. I liked the way you wrote the dynamic between Cygnus and Orion in particular, actually, even though it was present for such a short period of time.

As a bit of constructive criticism, I didn't find that the line "Druella's voice was sharp and betrayed /the heated argument they were in the middle of/." worked very well. I think that her shouting at Cygnus would have been enough to convey that they were in the middle of a heated argument, and you didn't really need to tell us. Just my opinion, though :)

Also - "I'll get back to you later, witch!"... I feel like it was intended to be an insult, but, of course, Druella /is/ a witch and there's no reason that it would be offensive...

Those two comments aside, I did thoroughly enjoy this.
opaque-girl chapter 1 . 9/15/2012
I love how you always write on the underrated minor Blacks rather than the well-known, over used Blacks. And your stories - they're always, always original. And I love orginality - so this was refreshing to read, and I could actually feel Druella's spite for Orion. I thought you characterized Druella really way and really differently from the way she is normally characterized :)
the drowsy poet chapter 1 . 9/15/2012
Great characterisation of the Blacks, I love how you write them. This was really sad, and very dark, which is wonderful. Dark is good. You are good.
slightlysmall chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
This is really sad. You capture the Black family dynamics well, and it was a bit difficult to read Druella being treated that way, although it all made sense. No SPaG errors, and you held my attention through the whole piece. I like that you could get across what Orion was doing to her without getting too explicit about it; any more detail would've been unnecessary. Well done.
selenehekate chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
Wow, this one has a bit of a darkness to it. I feel like Druella is realistic and well characterized and that the determination that she displays at the end is really awesome. I was a little confused at times, though, but I think I managed to ascertain the overall story well. No significant Spelling or Grammar errors either, so well done.
Tammi-Stark chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
This was pretty good. I don't tend to read a lot of stories about this couple because, well, everyone in the Black family, with the exception of Sirius, Andromeda, and Tonks, are horrible. This was well writen and I didn't see many mistakes.
The Last Poison Apple chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
I love how you gave us a really strong female character. This was nicely done -I could clearly see how desperate and disgusted she was.
alarics chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
You have characterised the whole of the Black family really, really well and I can imagine something like this happening. Their behaviour towards women was absolutely appaling but, nontheless, you have written it excellently. I really liked it! :)
still kat chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
It sickened me, but in the way you wanted it to. I thought you showed the spirit of the Black family very..(what's a good adjective?)...honestly, with Druella's commitment to her daughters, her doing unspeakable things for her family, and the whole 'debutante ball' thing. You write very well, as I may have said before :)
whatpassesformymind chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
I feel sorry for Druella. But good fic, I can imagine pureblood holding events like this.
the lola chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
You were spot on with the stereotypical Blacks here, and I loved it. I don't know about you, but at times I find it tricky to write such cold people, but so fun at the same time. Interesting how Cygnus turned the tables on Walburga, I felt very sorry for her. All of that just to keep up with the name of the Blacks... it's a lot to go through, but it shows just how important appearance and status are to even the character that we as readers are supposed to feel sorry for. I liked her change of mind and determined attitude at the end!
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 9/1/2012
Huh, this was a really interesting look at the Black family. I can definitely picture Cygnus and Orion acting the way they did here, as I'd never thought of either of them as particularly good people, and I can definitely imagine them being this cruel. Never thought of Cygnus having a problem with spending too much money, but it's certainly an interesting idea. I would have thought that he would simply curse Druella rather than physically hit her, but that's just my personal opinion - I know plenty of people write characters like Cygnus as being physically violent, so you're not alone there. I like your characterization of Druella as well, and she actually seems pretty normal for one of the Blacks. You did a good job keeping the dark tone of the fic as well, and overall nice work on this.
HedwigBlack chapter 1 . 8/29/2012
This is very well written and totally believable for a story about the Black family. The way they treat women is appalling but you wrote it very believably. The characterization of everyone is interesting especially since we know nothing about what Cygnus and Druella were like. Nice job!