Reviews for Delirium
Rosa Heartlily chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
Lovely addition to the challenge. Liked the conversation between them that echoed the 'I'll be here...' conversation :)
WishingDreamer5 chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
Wow, I really loved this! You captured their emotions very well, making it even more real, and I was glad to see that the ending was peaceful again. Great job! (but I'm sure you already knew that.)
supersonique chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
This was a very nice piece! You write extremely well! The fluidity of your words allow for a great understanding of the characters' feelings especially for Rinoa's growing concern and Squall's epiphany :) Keep up the great work!

- supersonique
Twin-Lance chapter 1 . 8/31/2012
All I can say is I'm so glad that I knew one of the stipulations for the challenge was that neither Squall nor Rinoa could die. Because you had me on the verge of tears there for a bit and if I hadn't known the stipulation I would've assumed the worst. :( I really liked this story. It had a slow tranquil speed about it despite Squall quite literally fighting for his life. Truth be told I was never that big on Squall & Rinoa stories until I started reading all the submissions for this challenge. I've read so many over the past few days that I feel like I've been converted. lol And this one was one of the best.
gleamfang chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
It was quite a light hearted twist you had with Squall bleeding forgetting about everything. Not that I can blame him since he was so obviously delirious.

One thing I want to say is that in the game, Marlboro venom never really seemed to hurt that bad. It just seemd like an esuna and a good bonk on the head would solve bad breath issues. I guess that bad breath attacks and actual Marlboro Venom are 2 different things. It is really interesting to see though how to reconcile the KO status and actual death in every cannon story I read and I like how you do it!

Very nicely done and I love that ending!

Cheers
Keep Writing
Ashbear chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
First, to your notes, the FFVIII community is glad to have you here – in our corner of the net. And, you know, an eight year hiatus may seem like a lot but, sometimes, it’s just what was needed. It doesn’t matter how long you were away, you’re back now… Although I’ll say you were never really ‘gone’ - we’ll just say you were slightly distracted in ‘time-compression.’ Hey, it happens, right? XD

Also, we really do have some interesting history – it’s funny how things often come full circle. I do remember talking to you and reading the stories at your website. I think we exchanged a few emails, though I don’t think we were really friends, just more acquaintances… But, of course, against your will we are friends now…. which I bet is the one thing you’re regretting since the day you signed up for ffnet! :p

…But too late, can’t run. I basically know where you live and with the power of the might Jack Rabbits I’ll find you. Well, after it cools down, because it’s wayyy too hot in your neck of the woods, er, desert now. :)

As for the story, what can I say? It’s everything I’ve expected from you since reading Gunblade Practice. The same solid writing, emotional connections, and the way you draw the reader into the world you’ve been crafting for over a decade. In this piece – it’s the conflicting emotions that are awakened in Squall amplified by the toxins; continue to build on your characters. Also the ‘human’ revelations Rinoa makes (such as her comments about Squall’s fear/not being fearless) she sees the real person beneath the ‘hero’ exterior.

Again, I’ve always admired your ability to build on their relationship – on how you’ve kept the same timeline going and everything stems from that; even now, you still know exactly what you’re doing – the characters, places, everything has taken on a life of their own. Each story meticulous fits into place like a crafted puzzle piece; it’s amazing with the years you’ve put into the post-canon universe you’ve created.

I can’t wait to catch up on everything. I’m going to start with even the ones I remember from before. I think to know you universe you need to read them all. Thanks again for everything, not only the stories, but the support, and especially the help during the challenge. Yep, we’re friends now.

…RUN!

Kris [Ashbear/Eternal Tiet]
Niqsta chapter 1 . 8/12/2012
Lovely. I like how we see Squall's vulnerability when he's delirious - a bit like Rinoa in that sense - and then quickly pulls those walls up again after he's healed. See it many times in the game every time he goes to save Rinoa, while his chivalry goes in full force, his emotional obligations stands out. Of course he himself is quick to quote the contract, but Squall's foundations are built on being taken care of until you can find the strength to take care of yourself, or a situation befalls that forces you to. That's sort of how I see his relationship with Rinoa, protecting her until she had the courage and confidence to fight alongside them.

Good work!
Summoner Luna chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
I really love this for several reasons... First, is the very real-life way you describe the malboro poisoning. I love it when writers take things from games that in-game are very fantastical, and apply them to a more real-life, what this would actually be like setting, and you did a really great job with that. I shuddered just with the memories of the malboros in VIII, since they really are, I think, the most wicked in the series.

I also love this for the relationship exploration. I have thought often about the point in time in which this is set, when everything is still so new and confusing to them and there's too much going on with Ultimecia (and with their friends watching...) to properly think about it.

Finally, I love it because of how Rinoa got to contemplate herself as a Sorceress in its newness. The line "What good was such power if she couldn't heal the man she loved with it?" is just... Wow. It's similar to a line from The Last Unicorn, and is so powerful.

So in other words, wonderful story!
Missyluv chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
This was good. Very good. The healing power of love, and well, sorceress powers. I like how they were mentally linked, even so early in their relationship. And I really liked how Squall realized he loved her as he lay near death's door. Beautiful.

But damn, do I hate those nasty malboros! Like a coward, I run whenever faced with one of those suckers. They get me every time...well unless I junction accordingly. But seriously, in every ff game, I hate those guys the most.

Great fic. And seriously, you wrote that in a day? That amazes me in itself. :)
Chel-esque chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
Loved this. Sucks that Squall didn't really remember what happened, though it adds to the riveting sense of the story.

I liked the way you showed the bond between Squall and Rinoa, and the fear portrayed by Squall as he tries to survive. It definitely tugged my heart a bit.

Awesome job on this one-shot! :)
Bebedora chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
Fantastic! Your ability to capture both Squall and Rinoa's fear is incredible. It shows us that no matter how invincible Squall may seem, he is still a human and can still be scared. This was incredible, so descriptive! Great job!

-B
Emerald-Latias chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
Splendid writing as usual. Not that I expected any different, coming from you. ;)

The best indicator of solid writing in a mid-game piece is the whether or not you can believe this could have happened during the events of the game (or the believability in explaining story gaps in some cases) and I totally buy this. You really capture the dichotomy and contradiction of Squall's inner thoughts and outer facade by using the fever as an ingenious plot device to bring his inner thoughts front and center with his defenses lowered because of the toxin (not to mention I really felt for Rinoa in this situation - poor girl). I really love the ending of this for that reason because it just illustrates so much of in-game Squall's struggles, confusion and denial so wonderfully.

And yes, random inspiration is random. I can attest to its fickleness first hand on many an occasion. ;)