Reviews for Cold Embers
mswyrr chapter 1 . 5/21
This fic does what I love, which is write sex and sexuality as characterization - it’s a realm of intimacy as organic and specific to the characters as a conversation. You explore some painful issues with mental illness and how medications can leave people “anorgasmic” - it's intense but the writer is so good at the intimacy scenes that the struggle they’re going through–to claim this part of their feelings and bodies and share it with each other like they want to–makes for a really beautiful, sexy reading experience.

There's pain and there's joy too, all wrapped together, as they seek each other out in this intimacy.

I love how they communicate during sex. That they’re physically and emotionally “switchy” - by which I mean control and activity shifts between them in ways that, again, make it feel as meaningful and true to them as a really good conversation. Since they’re also talking, I suppose it’s two really conversations: the physical and the verbal.

I just adore how there's so much about how individual people and their bodies and feelings differ; about how difficult it can be for a woman to get off distinct from med side-effects. And there’s even an awesome example of how to go down on a girl right – not making assumptions, not letting your pride in your prowess get in the way. Which is totally in character for Peeta. Oh, and Katniss has the moment where she pins him and he looks at her like she's the sunset...

That made me SO HAPPY. Because Katniss taking charge for a moment is in character and Peeta feeling wonderful at the proof that he’s wanted by her is also super in character. But it’s not a shade of their dynamic that is seen often, so I cherish it.

Thank you so much for your wonderful story!
Saw this on a tumblr master list rec... I really enjoyed the way you wrote them working through this together, without it being a bunch of hormonal rushing... More about realistic growth and exploring.
MyMagentaPeach chapter 1 . 4/22/2015
Apart from your writing being so SO WONDERFUL, I appreciate so much how you go all in an describe such a complex subject in so much detail. As someone who has a mom and two siblings who are suffering from severe mental illnesses of various kinds and constantly have to take pills, it was so good to read on the subject of pills making life harder too in ways. My siblings struggle a lot with being made to feel numb in ways, just so the chemicals in their brains work less intensely together:(
You did a great job of approaching all that. THANK YOU!
Everything else was so harmonious too. I really loved reading this, and am quite sure I will come back and read it over again and again. Can I just say, I just finished rereading the third book in the series and looking for fanfiction after found your gem here, which is so in tune with the novels tone. I really adore that about you and your writing. Thanks again! xo M
Safely Away chapter 1 . 1/2/2015
This was a great fic loved it
Orienter chapter 1 . 12/27/2013
I just loved reading you. What really amazed me is how realistic your sex scenes are. There are no exagerations, no superficial descriptions that sound completely unrealistic. It's all so... true. Great job! Plus, the way you make the characters interact... it feels so canon! I mean, Peeta is so much like Peeta and that is hell of a hard thing to do.
Once again, I just loved this!
MockingJayFlyingFree chapter 1 . 11/20/2013
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Delia chapter 1 . 5/20/2013
You say "I'm lost" quite a bit.
MagTwi78 chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
This is my first HG ff and I loved it! You captured vulnerability, pain, and shifting power in just this. I really enjoyed this, thanks for writing.
MissWinkles chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
So I think you should know how much I fucking love this(you). So well written, so perfectly canon - which is a real talent - and so REAL. I'm so glad you took the time to write this. As a TwiFic reader I'm not used to the realness of a perfectly imperfect first time/s. You're swaying my fandom allegiance with you wonderful wonderful words. Is there anywhere else you post? AO3? Okay. I'll ease up on my stalking tendencies. Thank you x
Delia chapter 1 . 4/27/2013
This is perfect. I think there might be soe tips, though, because some sentences don't make sense, like " And after all they did you me".
Prizz chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
Great story! It seems Katniss has a tendency to be a slave for sex. xD I just hope, whatever happens, she will only do it with Peeta.

About the mood elevator, it gave me an idea about Peeta's unrequited love problem after the first games. After the whipping, Katniss decided to choose Gale because Peeta is the Capitol's design. If Peeta wanted to move on in a non-healthy way, but works, he can have the white pill meds. At least it's not alcohol. xD

I hope you write more Katniss x Peeta fics! You're a great writer!
xbecbebex chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
that was written so well and it still had so much heat in it. good job. i'm a big fan of all of your work.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
Very nicely done!
Guest chapter 1 . 11/15/2012
Wow, so realistic. Great job. I really liked the way they kept talking to each other during their lovemaking, and that it wasn't just this completely perfect first time experience, which is most of the time not exactly how it goes. LOL
LeahLUVER chapter 1 . 11/7/2012