Reviews for The Night Spirit
StormBrisingr chapter 7 . 1/18
HOLY DAMN! This makes me so happy - everything is so intense and Asami is totally kicking ass as batwoman. I would've loved to see this in the show, but your writing works just as well. I'm so sad at the tension and separation between team Avatar (ie Asami and everyone else) though. I'm glad Bolin has her back and Korra is starting to notice things. Thanks for writing this; I hope you continue!
Lordy lord chapter 7 . 12/30/2014
Please come back. Please! This story is so fucking amazing I almost punched a wall when I was at the cliffhanger and saw that there was no more.
Sandstorm3D chapter 7 . 12/29/2014
I know its been a year since you updated, but I just wanted to say that your story was thoroughly entertaining. A very fun play on batman. Azula as Alfred was the best. Thanks!
Soulfulbard chapter 7 . 11/17/2014
My goodness, this is pretty amazing. I hope it's not truly dead because this is some top notch fusion fic-everything borrowed from Batman is folded seamlessly into the Avatar world.

I'm especially loving Azula in the Alfred role.
y1fellas chapter 7 . 9/12/2014
Y1: Hey, this is a cool story. I could really go for some Batsami Begins.
Story:*hasn't updated in over a year*
Y1: Should have known you were like the others! Well it's not like I cared anyway! Lao was just a stupid villain-sue! *runs away, totally not crying uncontrallably, heavy sobs not wracking his shapely feminine body*
Author-san: *lights cigarette, busy not giving a fuck*
Apparuerit Diabolo et Loqui chapter 7 . 8/30/2014
If you're not happy with the Night Spirit think you could rewrite it?
IceQueenMirrorQueen chapter 7 . 7/15/2014
This story needs more love, man. It would make an amazing film.

And butler!Azula is gonna be awesome.
EarthScorpion chapter 7 . 4/20/2013
My, this is an interesting little story. I think I'll keep an eye in it.

One criticism I might have is that you're a little light on the feel of scenes. By which I mean, I'd say that the background scenery could be developed more, so the "actors" have a better backdrop. The hum of the electric lights, the coppery scent of blood, the way the morning light catches the food-smeared plates. You're a little prone to ignoring such things to focus entirely on the characters - which is better than the alternative, of course, but still might help make certain scenes richer, especially given the kind of 1920s Shanghai feel of Republic City.
Kreeger chapter 7 . 4/1/2013

All together now.

Even you in the back.

Up-date, up-date, up-date, up-date

Now, clap your hands.

Now, the corus. . .

(Disclaimer: this came from the mind of an eccentric youth, it is not intended for a rude and impudent view; or anything of an over all dickish nature.
For hilarious viewing and affecting positive action only.)
David Greybeard chapter 7 . 2/22/2013
What a great story! Wonderful melding of the myths, interesting character interpretations. And Azula, as always, able to see so much and yet still a bit broken. She will make a wonderful Alfred.

Looking forward to more.

D
brainandheart chapter 7 . 2/9/2013
Fantastic and engaging story! The fandom has long joked about the characters being superheroes, but you've taken that, given it a serious and compelling twist, and run with it. Asami as the Bat(wo)man is great, though I would like to see her inner motivations and feelings about the situation explored a bit more. The villain is suitably charming, twisted, and intelligent, and you're good at keeping the level of tension high. Plus, old Azula as her butler? Epic
Loki Silvertongue chapter 7 . 2/6/2013
This is beyond awesome. I can not express how absorbed I got in the story. Very much looking forward to seeing you update this.
Meneldur chapter 7 . 2/5/2013
This is a very interesting story. I enjoy it so far, because I like the focus on Asami, especially compared to the way the show botched everything up. The focus on Asami makes the whole 'non-bender vs bender' thing a lot more serious and out there, because despite being a non-bender, Asami is the one doing what needs to be done, not Korra. Yet despite this, and despite Asami being the one who lost the most in the fight against Amon, Korra is still excluding her, partly because she isn't a bender. This story shows awareness of these problems (and the systemic oppression of non-benders in general) that the show didn't.
Besides that, of course, I love the batman angle to Asami's story, and frankly, being inspired by a bat spirit makes so much more sense than being inspired by just bats. Azula joining in as Asami's Alfred/Cato was a brilliant idea, and Lao seems so far to be an interesting and competent villain. Can't wait to see where this goes.
Discreetly chapter 7 . 2/4/2013
Now that I'm fully caught up, I have to say that I'm loving what you're doing here. The highlight is probably your understanding of action, so often I see writers flop on creating compelling combat, leaving it to only the barest of details or just skipping over it entirely instead. The action has made Freedom a visceral threat and given Asami's Batwoman so much more weight. Add that to the strong sense of flow you have and this story becomes the sort of reading that keeps you on the edge of your seat. I desperately want to read more.

That said, I have one complaint which is that as exciting as the story is, I feel like it hasn't given Asami as Batwoman enough time to breathe. Being caught up in all this action doesn't really give the story a lot of time to reflect on how Batwoman affects Asami as a character. The threat level keeps escalating, but even as she combats it Asami's motivation seems weak. Is she compelled to do this by the spirits? Is she just trying to prove nonbenders can fight too? Is she trying to make up for what her father did? The story suggests these motivations one at a time, but Asami doesn't seem to be holding on to any of them with real conviction. To me, she doesn't feel as compelled to vigilantism as Batman does.

The Batman Begins movie starts off with about 40 minutes of Bruce Wayne's journey to Batman even though everyone pretty much already knows Batman's origin story. It's important to go over those details again not just for the one or two people who don't know about Batman, but to really get to the heart of the Batman character. The most memorable scene of Batman Begins I think, is when Bruce Wayne prepares to assassinate the mugger who took his parents from him. The film tapped into that inner anger in all people to not just seek justice, but retribution. Batman's character is about finding that fine line in between and why he always ends up agonizing over not killing his plainly evil foes.

For Asami, I don't quite feel a matching conflict or drive and for a person driven to masked vigilantism that's absolutely crucial.

The story takes it for granted that Asami won't kill, but why not? In the history of real-life vigilantes, they're not known for their restraint and even the story of Superman takes the time to explain why he doesn't kill. Bruce Wayne's reason for being Batman and how he operates as Batman reveal all sorts of details about Bruce Wayne's inner character so what does Asami's Batwoman/Night Spirit reveal about her?

Sorry for going on so long. This is definitely the longest review I've ever written, but I really feel like this story is worth it. Thanks for all you've written so far.
Discreetly chapter 2 . 2/4/2013
This is the hype chapter and without a doubt, I am hyped. All the pieces are starting to move into play and even though I'm only on the second chapter so far, I just wish there was more.
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »