Reviews for promise not to promise anymore
St. Aelphaba chapter 1 . 8/27/2012

Just wow.

I love when I read a story, and every line feels like poetry in prose.

And sometimes there are lines, like:

"Peter Parker is like a foreign film in a language she doesn't understand, but his touch subtitles all the things she can't hear him saying. And maybe hers is the same for him."

that make my breath catch in how simple but beautifully they're written.

This is the kind of story I'm gonna reread over and over because it feels like there are so many nuances in each line. You've captured the emotion perfectly, and the details you've added are perfect. (I loved the line about Gwen being a feminist, for example, and Peter's fantasy about singing Gwen a song.)

So just, wow. Thank you!
sharoncarters chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
flawless story, 'nuff said.
September Light chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
I actually read this late last night, so by the time I was finished I honestly felt like I wouldn't be able to give you a substantial review.. And now it's the morning so here we go..

This was absolutely beautiful. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time, and just written with a certain poise that you seem to have. I absolutely loved this to pieces and I know how much work you must have put into it. Brilliant!

You captured an angry and hurt and empty Gwen really well.. And I'm just awe-struck! Please keep writing more! I am anxious to see your next fic!
justawritier chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
This was great. Very well written and the progress felt natural. That part about her worrying about the recommendation for college just felt so real,I know I've thought about things like that after someone I love has died and then the guilt she feels was exactly how I've felt. Wonderful story.
mediate89 chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
Great job! I love finding decent movie fics out there. Disappointing that they didn't do anything on the bed, haha...but...I suppose that's realistic and sticking to comic book canon. I gotta respect that.
jennwrote chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
love this! great job.
amore1993 chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
This almost made me cry :( but in a good way.
sallysally chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
This is very good. You have written the missing scenes in the movie. I wish her dad hasn't died. And the movie didn't focus on his death much. So, it's really nice to read your story to get the missing pieces. :)
Alice-in-french chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
Way to completely wreck my was beautiful!
Vladimir the Hamster chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
Fantastic stuff, you really captured Gwen's feelings very well. The anger was fantastically portrayed and I really felt it, but it was more nuanced than that. I love all the detail, too.
Alex chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
This was sooooo good!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
*Throws up on everything and then flies into the sun*
Padlei chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
UGH. This is perfect. Like really. I don't leave a lot of reviews usually but I had to this time.

First, the way you described what you go through when losing a loved one was spot on, so spot on it felt real and it was exactly what everyone goes through in this sort of situations (the little inane things that pop to mind, the way the little brothers reacted, everything basically). I teared up several times and felt for Gwen so much. I also felt for Peter because yeah, he can barely deal with losing his own uncle, how could he really help her?

Which brings me to the second part. You wrote from Gwen's POV which is great already and you made her so REAL, such a great character, you explored the little tidbits we had from the movie and made her a real character (and yeah for science and feminism and her relationship with her family. I felt for Gwen so much I was actually mad at Peter too (which didn't happen when I watched the movie!).

And finally you write very beautifully. I hope you write more stories for this fandom. Thank you for this in any case.
KelseyO chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
(So I wanted to liveblog this but since they're stupid and they put the review box at the bottom instead of having it pop up in a separate window, I opened a Word document and then copied and pasted everything in here after I was done. I'm awesome shhh it's okay)

I don’t think I mentioned it when I looked at this the other day, but I love Gwen’s (I totally didn’t just start to write “Emma’s”) stream of consciousness at this part: “That man watched her grow up, like an uncle to her, her father’s best friend, her father is *dead*…” That was an awesome emotional slope to watch her slip down.

“So that’s what she focuses on. She resents Peter as she fixes bowls of cereal for herself and her brothers, her mother long since gone to the police station; she blames Peter when she searches through her closet and can’t find something even vaguely appropriate to wear because she’s never owned much black…” I love this, how whenever something bothers her it’s always just “FREAKING PETER.”

Gwen lying in her mom’s bed with her still kills me, so that’s a thing.

Oh my god Phil’s little play-by-play to Gwen-not-Emma was super cute, especially the “Howie said to go get you so… so… I’m getting you.” Such a kid thing to do.

“Daddy said monsters aren’t real but they *got* him, I *saw* it—“ UGH MY HEART I HATE YOU

Ugh Howard trying to be the big kid and not cry I CANNOT

“She thinks it’s kind of special that Mom knew who *he* was implicitly.” I love that detail.

“He’s always been unreasonably beautiful, and she’s never been very good at ignoring that.” SAME GWEN. SAME.

“Where have you been?” she demands, because he doesn’t get to start this conversation. (YES. That’s such a good moment.)

“oh, FUCK his hi.” HAHAHAHAHA I shouldn’t be laughing because this is sad but HAHAHAHAHAH

“He looks at her like she’s the most precious thing in his universe.” You know those faces I tell you I make when things are sad/adorable/agonizing/etc? Just happened.

“It’s strangely cathartic, though she isn’t sure if she means half the things she says. She knows she wants to, but it feels almost as if she’s inventing a new version of herself: one that has moved on, one that can see the silver lining in even the most tragic circumstances.” Perfect.

Ugh god the spider. I know I helped you come up with that one but ugh it hurts anyways.

“Hi. Um. I’ve been—stupid.” “You think?” she throws back at him sarcastically. You wrote that so perfectly. It’s so hilarious and so not hilarious at the same time.

“Never mind, it doesn’t matter. It—I—I go away sometimes, too. Up here,” he clarifies, rapping one finger repeatedly, manically, against his temple.” Still possibly my favorite moment of the entire thing.

“Of all things, he starts chuckling, the sensation thrumming through his chest and into her. ‘Gwen. That’s not… that happens every time I’m near you.’” GOD THAT LINE WILL NEVER NOT STAB ME IN THE FACE.

“Peter Parker is like a foreign film in a language she doesn’t understand, but his touch subtitles all the things she can’t hear him saying.” Nope I lied THIS is my favorite part because AWESOME METAPHOR IS AWESOME HOORAY

Yes yes good. I love this whole fic so much. There’s nothing quite like human grief, especially when it comes in the fucking ADORABLE form of Emma Stone I mean Gwen Stacey.
29 | « Prev Page 1 2