Reviews for By the Side of the Road
Guest chapter 1 . 12/26/2014
fantastic one shot :) keep writing more
anon chapter 1 . 12/20/2014
Brilliant story! I love the banter. Sherlock's peevishness, and Lestrade's honest curiosity. (And Mornington Crescent.) But mostly just the banter. :)

One little nit-pick, though. You seem to have negative reinforcement confused with positive punishment. Negative reinforcement is when something undesirable is taken away, like that annoying beeping noise a car makes until you put on your safety belt. The negative doesn't mean bad, merely that something is negated or ended. Likewise, the positive in positive punishment doesn't mean the punishment is good or enjoyable, but the something is give or gained. So foot smashing as a reaction to bad or distracted driving would be positive because Sherlock's foot gained something (ie: SH's foot gained Mycroft's foot which caused pain.)

That explanation took much took too much time and likely doesn't make sense. Sorry!

Anyways, this is a great story and I genuinely love the humor. You are a great storyteller and you capture the characters brilliantly. I read the story thinking it sounded like something out of the BBC show. That's a really rare gift and I commend you for it.
Fandomology chapter 1 . 11/11/2014
*snort* the equation stick. So funny!
becgate chapter 1 . 4/22/2014
Poor Lestrade ! !
Radon65 chapter 1 . 4/6/2014
Aw. That was cute. That was a very interesting little piece, quite enjoyable. Characterisation was decent, and it was fun to see Sherlock call John, hang up without saying thank you or goodbye, and then descend almost instantly into boredom while Lestrade looked on. The bits and pieces Lestrade found out about Sherlock were believable, and I liked how Sherlock wondered why Lestrade cared, and then ticked off all the info he knew about Lestrade that was important. I particularly liked how Sherlock pointed out that it wasn't meant to be complimentary - it was simply a statement of fact. Calling it a statement of fact is very much in the Holmesian character, so it pleased me greatly. I liked Lestrade laying down in the grass and the beautiful day - description of the atmosphere was rather thin on this piece, but the characters and dialogue carried it well enough that that wasn't necessarily needed. I also enjoyed the mechanic when he finally arrived, and the ending was a nice little way to wrap everything up. An enjoyable oneshot.
Heather Snow chapter 1 . 8/4/2013
This was loads of fun. I've had to reread it a time or two :-)
Louey06 chapter 1 . 6/23/2013
zAh Sherlock and Lestrade. I think that Lestrade deserves a medal as well as john. After all they nboth put up with Sherlock, and even like him. Great story, highly amusing,
no name please chapter 1 . 4/21/2013
You did an excellent job with writing Lestrade's character. He doesn't have a lot of screen time and it's rare to find a story centered on the (admittedly strange) friendship he has with Sherlock. The bit about Sherlock snatching the tart made me laugh out loud-he can be such a child sometimes and you did a really great job with showing that, too.

I did have one bit of constructive criticism though- Sherlock's deductions about Lestrade were unusually...impersonal? I'm not sure, it just didn't sit well with me that Sherlock could deduce that a dead woman had a string of lovers based on her wedding ring, only to rattle off some basic information about the respect Lestrade's colleagues have for him. I'm not saying it was poorly written-I could definitely hear Sherlock's voice saying that bit-but I would have liked to hear Sherlock deduce some more personal details about Lestrade.

But, that tidbit aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this. It was a nice look into the strange dynamic that they have- they equally like and irritate each other, and as much as I love the deep friendship that Sherlock and John have, it's nice to see Sherlock's friendship with Lestrade showcased from time to time. Thank you for writing this!
Novoux chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
This was perfect in getting me to laugh. Thank you for writing this.
VivaCohen chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
I loved this! Made me laugh. I want more:)
AvaRoom chapter 1 . 9/5/2012
Hey there!
Thanks for sharing this lovely scene between the two of them. I know for experience that it's much harder to write a small, innocent story to laugh about than to get some slash on the paper and you really did a good job in that. Therefore, you made my working-day a little more bearable. ;-)

Hang on, Ava
Chjajcjjslakncjska chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
Haha! So funny and CUTE. "I think your mind is a very scary place". I love Lestrade!
noodlearms00 chapter 1 . 8/22/2012
"Sherlock Holmes, in the middle of the nowhere, with the equation stick."
Love it. Thank you.
Bookworm85 chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
This was such a fun read. Thanks for another awesome Sherlock story!
1895 chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
This is a brilliant idea, brilliantly done. Man, I feel sorry for Lestrade!