Reviews for Frostbitten
KynthiaOlympia chapter 13 . 4/1
Frost is Sarah! I knew it... well I had suspected in an earlier chapter, but the little exchange kinda confirms it!
KynthiaOlympia chapter 12 . 4/1
Oh my Elder Gods shiz just got real! I literally was contemplating killing Frost, and you should now that when your audience wants to do things like that; that you have a great story and have perfected the personalities of your characters. Great Job!
Poe's Daughter chapter 44 . 4/11/2014
To the guest reviewer, Outspoken:

I appreciate your heartfelt story, and I agree with you. Pitbulls aren't born mean. They're MADE that way by ignorant, cruel, and evil people. I am so sorry that you had that experience. That wasn't right, and I won't begin to make excuses for your idiot neighbor. Sadly, that's how people are: self-righteous a**holes.

I wholeheartedly understand where you're coming from, and as you've guessed, I really only meant those pitbull comments as a way to describe Frost's personality. However, I have a story to tell too, and I suppose subconsciously they inspired me to describe Frost the way that I did.

My brother and his now ex-wife brought home a pitbull, and to be quite frank, they didn't take care of her properly (which is a different issue entirely). From the get-go, she was aggressive and mean. They didn't make her that way, she came by it naturally because I don't think she was ever properly trained. Ironically, her brother from the same litter was the sweetest, goofiest dog I ever saw. I wish my brother had brought that big lug home instead because he was a great dog.

At the time, my brother and his wife were living with my parents, and because I couldn't have pets in my apartment, I was forced to leave my black lab with my parents too. His pitbull inexplicably started attacking my lab, who was an old dog, blind, and increasingly frail. She had cancer too, so that didn't help matters any. The attacks on her grew worse and worse, to the point I asked her vet about it. The vet warned me that pitbulls do that sometimes, and that I needed to get the pitbull out of the house as soon as possible because for whatever reason, she saw my dog as a threat and would not stop attacking her until she succeeded in killing her. I told my family this, but they said I was being a drama queen and trying to stir up trouble. So the pitbull remained in the house. And as the vet predicted, the attacks kept getting worse.

Then, one morning, I got a phone call saying that my mother was being taken to the hospital because the pitbull had attacked my dog, and my mom, trying to break it up, got badly bit up in the process. I was told to come get MY dog as quickly as possible because she was dying and needed emergency treatment too. I got there, and I will tell you that it looked like a crime scene. Blood was splattered everywhere in the kitchen, even on the cabinets up high. It looked like someone had been murdered in my mom's kitchen. And MY poor baby was gravely wounded. I had to pick her up because she was too hurt to walk. The vet had to perform emergency surgery to reattach her ear because it was hanging by a thread, and she had to sew her up in several places. My dog spent a week in the doggie ICU just recovering, and she very nearly died from her wounds. And I will tell you that I have never been so angry at my brother in my life, and we very nearly cut ties because of it.

My mother had to have several stitches. She probably shouldn't have intervened, but if she hadn't, I knew my dog would've died for sure. It was a senseless attack. My lab was the sweetest, gentlest dog in the world and wouldn't hurt a fly unless someone was coming after me or my family. She got along great with most dogs. Except this particular pitbull.

While my mother was getting both of her arms stitched up in the hospital, I called animal control and had them remove the pitbull from the house. They put her on quarantine for rabies, but when she came back clear my brother surrendered her and they put her up for adoption. My dad later told us that a rancher adopted her - oh, yeah right - so I'm pretty sure they wound up euthanizing her. All of it was so senseless. If only my brother had trained her. If only my family listened to me when I told them about the vet's warning. If only...

So, mine is a not-so-great experience. So, again, when I described Frost like a pitbull that wouldn't let go, it was not to incite mass hysteria against pitbulls. It was merely to describe a very distinctive trait that, you can't really argue, is accurate. When they see a target that they want out of the way, pitbulls latch on and WON'T let go. I'm sorry if you found that offensive, but even though it's oftentimes an unjust reputation, pitbulls have that reputation for a reason.

However, that being said, I do think people tend to get rather reactionary about pitbulls, and they don't use logic and reason. They know that pitbulls have the reputation for being aggressive and vicious, which I dutifully acknowledge is not always the case. Again, I cite this pitbull's brother as an example. He was a sweet dog who, like my lab, wouldn't hurt a fly. And I can also cite my current dog (my lab eventually died of cancer). My current dog is a pitbull mixed with Great Dane and black lab, and she's a sweetheart. A big, dopey sweetheart. But she definitely comes in handy when it comes to scaring away the religious missionaries who like to harass me on a regular basis (I spray and spray but they just keep coming back). She has the deep, resounding pitbull bark, and even though she'd never hurt them unless they were trying to hurt us, that bark is enough to keep them from coming to my door.

So, I appreciate you bringing this issue to light. I personally think that if you're going to own a pitbull (or any dog with a reputation for aggressiveness - doberman, rottweiler, etc.), you need to educate yourself as much as you can about how to train them and exercise them properly, and how you can protect yourself and them from ignorant people. When we brought my current dog home, I was mildly worried about it because if anything happens, even if she's innocent, she'll automatically be condemned solely because of her breed. So I take great care in making sure that nothing happens (like her getting out of my yard and running loose around the neighborhood). She's had all of her shots, she's licensed, and she's trained. I make sure she gets plenty of exercise because pitbulls are energetic dogs and need a lot of exercise to keep them from getting violent. Plus, I don't hit her or do things to make her mean. I show her plenty of love and give her lots of praise. I think that's the duty of every responsible pitbull owner.

Anyway, thank you very much for your review on my story. I definitely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in order to raise awareness :)
Outspoken chapter 32 . 4/10/2014
I really do love these stories. You're an amazing writer.

However, I do have one problem to speak about. The comment about Frost being like "a pit bull" because she will keep attacking until something is dead, really bothers me. It's the second time that you've used the word "pit bull" to describe an aggressive killer.

I know that you probably don't mean it in a horrible way, but it's not awful thing to say.

I had a pit bull, whom I loved very dearly, and he was the sweetest dog I've ever met. He loved people, obeyed as if he did not know how to disobey, and even shared his food and doghouse with the neighborhood stray cats.

I was walking my pit bull one day and a neighbor asked me his breed. When I told the man proudly that my best friend was a pit bull, he reprimanded me for housing a "man killing beast" and warned me that my loyal companion was a mindless killer that would turn on me one day, because that's what "all pit bulls do."

He ended up writing up a bullshit petition to make me get rid of my "mindless killer" before he got loose and "ripped out their childrens' throats."

The petition did nothing and I was allowed to keep my companion. Two weeks later, I got home from work to find my beloved best friend an inch from death in my back yard.

The vet was able to conclude that my baby had ingested an extreme quantity of poison. He died shortly after arriving at the vet. Poison was something that I absolutely did not keep in my house. I have pet cats, rats, and guinea pigs, so I did not keep any sort of poison on my property.

My neighbors, police, and my vet were sure my dog's death was at the hands of my pit bull hating neighbor or one of his mindless followers. No one was caught because there wasn't enough evidence to prove anyone was responsible.

The worst thing about it was having to explain to a five year old little girl that her best friend wasn't coming home because people thought he was going to attack and kill everyone in his vision.

I volunteer at a pit bull sanctuary now, but I never got another pit bull because I couldn't bear the thought of losing another beloved pet at the hands of bigoted jerks.

Moral of the story is that even if you don't mean anything by your comments, it will always fuel mindless propaganda that weighs heavy on the hearts of pit bull owners. These wonderful dogs will always be the victim of undeserved prejudice and comments comparing them to mindless killers only serves to fuel the bigotry.
darkassassin224 chapter 45 . 4/10/2014
Wow... I'm both impressed and pissed.
What happens next?!
Will Kuai Liang survive?!
You are my new favourite FanFic writer.
darkassassin224 chapter 21 . 4/8/2014
God damnit Rain! I know you're already done... But I hope Kuai gets back with Anya. Also... I hat Frost.
SpinoGuy Productions chapter 44 . 11/26/2013
Yay, more chances to talk about how awesome this series is, woo!

Anyway, I just like to start out by saying, Frost is a major bitch. Seriously. Sure she has a sad back story, sure she's an interesting character, but still. She has got to be the biggest bitch ever.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get on with the actual review. I said in my review of Sub-Zero Origins that I thought that the romance between Anya and Sub-Zero was rushed. Here, totally works. She's an even better character now that she's in the begining and is here throughout most of the story, which I like.

But there is one thing I must address, sadly, which is the negatives. Stryker's death is probably one of only ones that I can think of. It's not that he died or anything, it's that you never mention it afterwards, and as a favorite of mine, that's kind of sad.

Kabal still kicks major ass though, and I feel he's a great replacement for Smoke, who returns to his obnoxious personality that we all know and love. As you can tell this is the positive side of things. Smoke getting his free will back is beautifully paced, and his interactions with Anya is amazing. Sub-Zero is also a jealous bastard.

Like the first one, amazing. However, I feel as though this one is far better than the first one, and that's saying something from someone who enjoyed the first one so much. So, until next time when I start getting with the program and review your other story, goodbye and update the other one soon. Please, for the children.

Spino, out.
Angry Archer chapter 45 . 11/23/2013
The first thing I would like to start off with saying is that I was so overjoyed, excited, on-the-edge-of-my-seat, fascinated, intrigued, entranced and all the other ways in the universe I could describe how much I loved both this and Sub-Zero Origins that my eyes are literally crossed from reading both stories in two days. I'm usually a lurker around here that doesn't review at all but your both stories are just so wonderful that you cannot leave without letting the writer know what kind of an impact you've left on your reader.

I've been browsing the Mortal Kombat archive for a while now and although there are a few hidden gems out there, your stories are the gigantic gold nugget that made everyone run like hell to Alaska. I loved this story, this is by far one of the best Mortal Kombat and fics on this site in general that I have read in a very long time. There is nothing I hate about it. From the fighting, to how you wrote our favorite characters- everyone was in character .I frown immensely when they aren't and I didn't frown once in this story. :) I even love your OC Anya. I tend to hate OC's-even the ones I write myself- but I loved Anya. She sailed far away from the treacherous waters that have the Mary Sue pirates which is very hard on this site to do, because immediately when you see OC in the summary, immediately Mary Sue can't help popping in and say "HEY YOU GUYS! But I loved her, rooted for her and loved every romantic moment with her and Sub-Zero, nice to see him get some loving.

Your fight scenes, forgive my language were VERY F%#%ing AWESOME! ! My poor little Kindle Fire had grip marks from how hard I was holding it from the torture scenes and every fight scene. They were superbly done- no matter who was fighting who.

And where do I begin with Frost. Although she was a bitch I loved her and loved it when anybody would beat her up. She not only frustrates our Mortal Kombat characters but your readers as well, which is what you want. You need to hate the antagonist, I personally hate when they make you try and relate to the bad guy, give them a soul. Although I understood her grief I really hated her so job well done. I loved hating her and I mean that in the most positive way possible if you get my drift. :) She was a psychopath- and everybody is supposed to hate the psychopath. :)Though while we are on the topic of Frost, have you by any chance ever seen any episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess?

Loved your plots in both story, they were well done and carefully thought it and wrapped up nicely in a big red bloody bow ;). Loved every bit of the plots, they were fantastic and once my eyes return back to normal I will be diving into part three. :) IM SO EXCITED! (clears throat and then punches a hole in the wall to get over fangirl side) Once my eyes are no longer crossed from exhaustion and I'm done mourning Stryker and Raiden (looks up to the sky shaking a fist and screaming 'NOOOOO') I will be diving into the Curse of the Dragon Medallion. Can't wait to see what new adventure and trouble lays in front of our heroes now. :)

I am so happy I found your story, this was a fantastic find that should cross every Mortal Kombat's fans path. Thank you for working so hard to bring us such a wonderful story. :)

Angry Archer
Travis Black chapter 1 . 11/5/2013
If they ever include Frost in the new Mortal Kombat game and gave her a new origin story would you change your story about her even though your story about Frost seemed better?
Poe's Daughter chapter 45 . 10/31/2013
Travis Black...To answer your question, I don't completely know. It just seemed like it would be a good idea to make Frost a psychopath. I thought of how she was described in the games - exceedingly arrogant - and I asked myself what would make her that way. Why would she want the Dragon Medallion for her own? Why would she want to betray Sub-Zero?

For me, it wasn't enough to simply label her "evil." No one is born evil. Something in their life happens that makes them that way. I already knew from "Origins" that her father had kidnapped her and did God knew what with her. So I basically just worked from there.

As for why I made her Sub-Zero's sister? To be honest, I don't think that was terribly original of me. They're both Cryomancers. I just made a deductive leap in reasoning. It was easy to go there because I knew I needed to bring Frost in somehow while answering the question I posed in "Origins": who/where is his long-lost sister? By doing that, I killed two birds with one stone. Plus, I am NOT a fan of Sub-Zero/Frost pairings, which is what most people tend to do with those two. Screw that!
Travis Black chapter 45 . 10/31/2013
Hey I was wondering, where did you get the idea of making Frost a jealous psychopath and Sub-Zero's sister?
SpinoGuy Productions chapter 36 . 10/29/2013
Frost is kind of a bitch. Just saying.
iceangelmkx chapter 45 . 8/2/2013
Phew! I didn't think I'd get through this story so quickly. Anyway...

I loved the different point of views from other characters. It's always cool to get an insight of what the others around Sub-Zero are thinking. Aside from Sub-Zero, my favorite characters you presented here are Kabal and Smoke... Kabal for his humorous one-liners even in the toughest situations (I was so sad for him when Stryker died), and Smoke for his struggle to be free from his cyber prison... and I admit, I got misty-eyed when he named his deceased daughter after his mother.

Sonya was a tad better btw, lol.

I cheered and cackled with glee the moment Frost grabbed the medallion because, of course, I KNEW what was coming. Disappointed by Rain still being alive (I can never take him seriously, personally)... but at least he'll be on a leash. At first I thought his guard would be Tanya, but Sindel was a nice surprise.

Oh yes, and like someone else said, no matter how much you try, some OOC-ness will happen from time to time, especially when games like MK only present us with only a small tidbit of a character's personality. I personally love diving into a character's psyche based on what we already know. The reason I say this is because, of course, some people will inevitably complain no much what you do so don't ever take their words to heart. If I thought the characters were extremely OOC, I would've quietly dropped this fic a while ago.

Only thing that threw me off was Sub-Zero calling Anya a bitch... only because it's hard to imagine for me... unless the bitch was Frost, lol.

OH! Speaking of Frost, I LOVED the reason you gave her for going after the Lin Kuei. I'm writing a trilogy right now myself and have been trying to think up an idea. Originally, I was going to make her the Grandmaster's daughter (rightful heir and all that), but of course, that idea went right out the window once it turned out Sektor was the Grandmaster's son in the canon.

Okay, this is definitely getting long, ha ha, so I'm going to wrap it up. This has been fun to read and I'm about to go and read the next story so expect more reviews from me. -skips off to the story-
Ace of Spies chapter 23 . 8/1/2013
Interesting turn of events. Im glad he got some 1 on 1 time with Kitana, but I didnt like the way that turned out. I like to think after that theyd be more sisterly-brotherly-lean-on-your-shoulder-for-suppo rt but oh well. I wonder how she must be feeling. Also I wonder if they mindwiped Jade and the others as well.
GoodReads chapter 45 . 7/9/2013
Thanks, PD, for your story. I am impressed you finished it, and kept strong throughout most of the story- which is a loooooooooooooooooong story. Like, War and Peace long.