Reviews for The Sound of the Rockets
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/3/2014
I'm beginning to think I need to take a refresher on WWII, with all these historical tidbits you keep throwing my way. Well done.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 3/29/2013
As soon as you mentioned Bethnal Green, I knew what had to be coming: I've been there and knew about the disaster. You did a great job in recreating what it would have felt like to someone who was there, and Mavis is a perfect character for giving us a view into this part of history.
CaraLee934 chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
Wow. That is horrible. I've never even hear of this before. Thank you for bringing it to your readers' attention.
Content addressed...well written, suspenseful...very good.
NickTonyK chapter 1 . 1/10/2013
Great story!
Jennaya chapter 1 . 11/21/2012
I love your take on Mavis and Peter knowing something is wrong with each other. I've heard multiple accounts of similar things happening to family members across the world and this is a believable account of a horrific scene. Well done.
Cruelest Sea chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
Deeply tragic and fascinating. The thing I always love best about your stories is what they teach me about WWII. My knowledge and study of the war is entirely Italy with only a basic knowledge of elsewhere so I always learn a great deal from each of your fics as well as enjoying spending time with the heroes and their families. Very well done as usual. (:
Sgt. Hakeswill chapter 1 . 8/19/2012
Interesting one-shot. Mavis' experiences were so vivid. The only thing I can think of i that the crowd panicked for some reason, hence the stampede.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
Your depiction of Mavis's terrible experience was chilling, as was Peter's almost mystical sensing of her peril. I love stories that show how close in spirit two people can be, when they love each other as much as Peter and Mavis do. But Peter suffered so much, not knowing what had happened to his sister! It was a good thing that the Colonel was able to find out her fate and reassure Peter.

What a terrible, senseless disaster to befall an already traumatized population! I read some of the references you mentioned, and it was truly appalling, especially since the survivors were warned not to speak of what had happened.
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
As soon as i saw your summary, I knew what to expect...sadly. I recall seeing either a documentary, or fictional play on the disaster, sometime in the 70's perhaps. Probably from the BBC, on a PBS station. I don't know why they say it was censored from history. Interesting and certainly worth further investigation.

Anyway, your one-shot was extremely well-done, and showed the terror of the experience and the aftermath really well. Great job.
ColHogan chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
Beautifully written and told story on the relationship between Newkirk and his baby sister separated by thousands of miles, yet he knows something is desperately wrong. I also checked out the Stairway to Heaven site. The stories of those who survived are so heartbreaking.
buggleston chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
You have really brought to lite this true incident and the gripping terror that Mavis felt was truely horrible ! The ties between brother and sister shown here are great when Peter had sense something happening to his baby sister .
I really liked the worry and care of his friends to find out what was wrong!
This truely was a touching oneshot!
Ellen chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
What a wonderfully written sad story. I went to the Stairway to Heaven Memorial website. The stories that people that lived through this distaster are heart wrenching. Thank you for telling this story.