Reviews for Esgalion's Mask
Certh chapter 19 . 7/15
Beautiful chapter. I do love how Caladhiel's power and authority shines through, how her skill in ruling shows so wonderfully. I liked the scene with the orphan Elf-children - it was very sweet, highlighting Caladhiel's compassionate nature. Her losing her temper with the Orc... that was one intense moment, making it clear she's not one to cross. I do hope Aradan's alright - after that oh-so-sweet declaration of love and ring-giving, it would be sad if something happened to him.

On "nissi", that is indeed the word for "Elven women", although it's Quenya. The Sindarin equivalent would be "ellith".

(On a sidenote, I don't know if I'm on your author alert, but I've finally managed to update Part II of my LotR series)
Rapier Thirteen chapter 19 . 7/7
Between Aradan and Castien, I is dead. My feels are beyond repair.
Certh chapter 18 . 1/27
Gee, who'd think that Thranduil would pull a Thingol on poor Aradan. Such an overprotective daddy. A nicely emotional chapter.
Rapier Thirteen chapter 18 . 1/26
THRANDUIL WAS AWESOMESAUCE. I could hear his voice in my head, as well as voices for Calad and Aradan! This was amazing! Moooore!
UnofficialBrideOfPeregrinTook chapter 17 . 8/16/2015
"I am mortal; you are one of the Eldar. You are privileged; I am homeless. You are a princess, and I... I am just a fool."

FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS! FEEEEEEEEEEEELS! ALL THEEEE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS! I sound like a hormonal squealing thirteen-year-old and my ability to write a scholarly-sounding review has taken flight on the wings of my FREAKING SHATTERED EMOTIONS. Darn you! Darn you! DARN YOU TO HECK!

Not really. That's mean. I looooooove you. :D

But in all seriousness, this was awesomesauce. Just... awesomesauce.

PS - As Castien's "owner," let me expound upon how much you are NAILING his character. He has a very intimidating appearance and a very scary business persona/game face when crap goes down or he's on official business with the King, as shown in the meeting, but once you get to know him, he's such a mischievous dork! His comment on his wounds leaving a mark was just perfect. You've nailed that in the bit that you've had him in this story. Feel free to write AnĂ­riel and Rodwen if you want to. :D

PPS- Consider this a fire hose, to go with your fire extinguisher. You know what I mean. :)
Certh chapter 17 . 8/16/2015
I like how Caladhiel's mind fills with memories of Aradan so completely while she's working in the healers' halls. Their quick succession makes it all the more evident that she's utterly smitten. And, awww, fluff! It's so cute I can't help thinking that something bad will happen in their future. I think all the morose streaks in Tolkien's Elf-Man relationships (or would-be relationships, in the case of Turin and Finduilas) is getting to me...
Aquafin chapter 17 . 8/16/2015
Aww, so sweet. Please update soon. I would love to read more.
Aquafin chapter 10 . 8/16/2015
OMG. Wait, I'm confused. Have to read the next chapter then.
Aquafin chapter 9 . 8/16/2015
It was AMAZING. I loved it with so much. I love hobbit and LOTR fanfiction, mostly LOTR.
Mischief's Angel chapter 16 . 8/13/2015
Your most recent chapters (14-16) have consistently shown great attention to detail and imagery as well as noteworthy character and plot development. While maintaining the stories consistent drama and undertone, each chapter seems to become more entertaining and engaging than the last. Esgalion's Mask continues to me a well written and, thankfully, very original story.
UnofficialBrideOfPeregrinTook chapter 16 . 8/13/2015
Oh geez. Poor everybody! And that Orc attack was the last thing I saw coming. Good job; get cracking on the next one woman!

(PS - Consider this your fire extinguisher. You know what it means. ;) )
Certh chapter 16 . 8/12/2015
Added to 'Lord of the Rings OFC Stories' Community
BlondiezHere chapter 16 . 8/13/2015
You have an incredible story here. I am so glad to have found it, and most definitely look forward to the next update. It's refreshingly different from the other "Thranduil has a daughter" stories I've come across.
Certh chapter 16 . 8/12/2015
Such a sweet chapter. Beautiful description as always, painting vivid images effortlessly.

The funeral scene is short and poignant, devoid of excessive wailing, quite Middle-earth appropriate. I very much like the ring-melting bit - it's wonderful to see a writer who doesn't neglect the Elven customs at such times. The words 'we will not marry' have an additional haunting meaning, it seems, solidifying the fact that, since Caladhiel did not love Sereg romantically (albeit never telling him), there is no chance of them ever being united in marriage even in Valinor.
Also, I like how the reactions of those surrounding Caladhiel convey their sadness and yet are not exaggerated.

Those moments between Caladhiel and Aradan are quite sweet, warm and fuzzy without being overly fluffy.

Another thing I like very much is how balanced Calathiel's portrayal is. She is a high-born lady who acknowledges her place in the society she lives in and acts accordingly, and in those instances when the reader is shown that she can protect herself, her skill with weapons isn't overplayed and doesn't overshadow everything else.

A few things that caught my eye. The plural of 'elleth' is 'ellith'; 'healer's hall' should be 'healers' hall'; in 'the pressure the wound' there's an 'off' missing.
Before stiching a wound, the site has to he disinfected (the wording 'strong spirit' could serve here if you don't want to go into much detail concerning the exact nature of the disinfectant) and after stitching an antiseptic ointment should be applied before the pads of gauze (clean cloth in this case) and the bandage, in order to minimise the risk of infection.

EC
Certh chapter 15 . 7/17/2015
Again, a nicely emotional chapter. Thranduil's portrayal felt very in-character, and the scene with him and Caladhiel ran very smoothly. I liked that awkwardness between Aradan and Caladhiel in the library, it was almost cute.

Just one slip-up that caught my attention: 'I let my hair down breathe deeply . . .' (there's an 'and' missing).
And a suggestion that might lend more gravity to a certain moment: in 'I can't. I-I have to go.', I think that if 'I can't' is taken out, Caladhiel's pulling away will seem even more sudden and have more impact. Starting her excuse with 'I-I have to go' would be more effectual, methinks.

EC