Reviews for Esgalion's Mask
Mischief's Angel chapter 12 . 3/20
I really like the direction you went in the development of the character relationships. At first, the relationship felt a bit on the mortal guy/elf girl cliche. However, in your recent writing the relationship went in its own, very good and original, direction. I look forward to seeing how the characters develop further in the story.
UnofficialBrideOfPeregrinTook chapter 13 . 2/28
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! WAAAAAAAAAAAAT! But... but.. BUT... WHAT?!

THAT was a plot twist! And for the sake of people like me who read the reviews of stories sometimes before they read them I AIN'T GONNA SPOIL IT. But all I can say has already been said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!
Certh chapter 12 . 2/19
I do like the hopeful feeling this chapter left me with. Those little nods to canon and history with the remarks on Menelvagor were a beautiful touch. And the slow mending of Caladhiel and Aradan's relationship is so very charming. Looking forward to Thranduil's reactions when they get back to Mirkwood.

Just two tiny things I want to comment on.
'We sink into the silence' - the definite article is unnecessary, I believe.
'Listen, Aradan' - what with the Elves' more refined and archaic, if you will, manner of speaking, having one use the word 'listen' (or 'look' or something to that effect) to get another's attention lends a more modern touch to the whole. I guess it could work if the Elf is a young one, but beginning a speech without preamble lends more gravity, I think. But that's just me. :)

PegasusWingsVW chapter 11 . 1/25
Very interesting story :) Looking forward to reading more.
Certh chapter 11 . 1/24
Welcome back! Nice chapter with good descriptions, filled with emotions. I like that awkward interaction between Aradan and Caladhiel, that feeling that both know things aren't the same between them... for now. And I do like how Thranduil's love for his children shows through Elhadron's words.

Just two small things. I noticed you used the pronoun 'her' when referring to the wind in one the first paragraphs. While it is canonically established in Tolkien's universe that the Sun and Moon are often referred to as 'she' and 'he', because of their predecessors of sort Laurelin and Telperion, I don't recall there was ever reason to make the wind a 'she'. If it's a headcanon thing, it would be quite interesting to read the explanation.

On Legolas' being halfway through Middle-earth doing who knows what: at first reading, the wording makes it seem as though noone knows why he set out from Mirkwood. A bit of tweaking would remedy that, shedding more light on the reason of his journey east to Rivendell. But perhaps I'm being nitpicky. :)
Certh chapter 10 . 1/23/2014
I am speechless. That *was* a heavy hitter. I still can't figure out how that happened. I mean, all that narrative in the first chapter really indicated that Esgalion and Caladhiel were two different people, not the two sides of one coin so to speak. Unless the lady has a split personality? Joking. Still, great twist. And it's so nice Aradan's alive!
UnofficialBrideOfPeregrinTook chapter 10 . 1/22/2014
Well dang. It's not like I needed a heart or anything. And what color is Baldor?
Certh chapter 9 . 12/19/2013
Loved the inkeepers! Plus, it was good to see those little snippets of realism like the feeding of bland food when one's that physically exhausted, and the inkeep's notion that only Elven royalty would understand the Common Speech. They may seem like trivial details, but they are important, and not many writers include such important little things in their stories.

Certh chapter 7 . 12/19/2013
It seems we've all misjudged Sereg. He seems a decent guy after all.

A bit of nitpicking would concern the Quenya word 'Tancavë', but I've already noted that in another review, so need to repeat it :)
Certh chapter 5 . 12/19/2013
Oh, I do like the fact you mentioned that using a Vala's name in the form of a curse (or something close to a curse) is a misuse. Glad to see someone pays that much attention to canon. :)
Certh chapter 4 . 12/19/2013
A sad chapter. I admit I wasn't expecting both of the Rangers to meet such fates, but surprises are what make a story intereting. And I do love your portrayal of Esgalion - showing that he is afraid, even considering himself a coward, that makes him incredibly realistic, unlike so many Elven warriors who are fearless and ready for everything.

Certh chapter 3 . 12/19/2013
Loved the mention of the forgotten rope, it reminded me of Sam Gamgee! And I am getting more intrigued by the chapter - what is Esgalion hiding?
Certh chapter 2 . 12/19/2013
I think this is the first time I've come across a drake in Mirkwood. Bit of an odd feeling, but it really makes Mirkwood look more sinister. Spiders, goblins, Orcs, drakes... yep, sinister indeed! And I rather liked how the encounter between Esgalion and the dragon was written.

It was very nice to see athelas used by Rangers in particular, rather than by other mortals - that's a great nod to canon. It was only the Rangers of the North who retained the knowledge of its healing properties, after all.

Just a tiny thing about Sindarin. When used as a possessive pronoun, 'nin' should be spelled with an acute or a circumflex accent, otherwise 'nin' without an accent means 'me'.

ZabuzasGirl chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
Update immediately, please!
Certh chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
I am very much intrigued. As I said before, lovely prose and descriptions. This is the first fic I've come across concerning a daughter of Thranduil who faces an arranged marriage, and the notion of her running from it and losing herself on purpose is rather refreshing. I do like the details you've given concerning both the life of Thranduil's family and the marriage-to-happen. Not least, I rather like the fact that Caladhiel isn't proficient with a bow or a good warrior (as all original children of Thranduil seem to be in fics).

The story's title is very interesting, quite attention-grabbing, and Esgalion himself is a quite intriguing individual. All that mystery surrounding his face, it has me hooked.

There was just one tiny slip-up that caught my eye: 'Thought (an extra final 't') it blocks my eyes . . .'