Reviews for A Girl You Knew
thorteso chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
Very interested to see where you take this. I think this could be a great story and one that not very many people write.
Hope to see a new chapter of this and Grace soon!
Meg chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
Good start, looking forward to seeing where you're taking Mary.
nolongerinuseee chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
Loved this chapter. It was so poetic and the words just seemed to flow perfectly. Update please!
miss Kittyplank chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
Oh I love it! I always wanted to read a fic which would deal realistically with what would happen if lavinia survived and you're doing it - matthew would marry her. Loved the part about him looking at mary as he walked down the aisle and she just knew it would to adultery and unhappiness, because that is so often them - they want and crave each other but rarely make each other happy per se. Cannot wait to see where you take this!
Sandrinha2 chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
One of the clich├ęs that i hate in fanfiction is that true love is always pictured when one person or both are miserable LOL. That's rubbish!

I'm glad that Mary has decided to get away from DA and try her hand at happiness, even if it isn't with Matthew she deserves to at least try and be happy on some level. Matthew has made his choice (Lavinia) and now has to live with it, i don't hate him at all but i don't feel very sorry for him to be honest because like Mary said, we are all stuck with the choices that we make.

And i'm glad you are going to make then cheaters, M&M fandom or canon would have far too much respect to resort to that behaviour IMO.

Don't stop writing Grace or this baby, DA fandom needs fantastic writers like you :).
sasita747 chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
Yay, this sounds very promising. I'm in!
MayLilia chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
Wow, always love a strong, independent Mary. Please keep going.
Grace chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
I definitely want more! That was amazing, I loved it! I always liked the idea of Matthew marrying Lavinia and all the trouble it would cause so i definitely want more! X
Shanghaied in LaLaLand chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
Interesting. Other fic writers have played with the setup/premise before ("what if Lavinia lived"), but you seem to be aiming for something different with respect to Mary: something empowering, something redemptive. In that respect, I do see some similarity with Grace. In both universes, Mary does something proactive - namely, she exits the life she has always known - to heal, to regain something which has been lost (though to very different degrees and for very different reasons).

It's funny ... I feel like the plausibility of their having an affair has been discussed quite a bit and there seems to be a general consensus that it probably would have happened had they stayed in relatively close proximity to one another. Although I don't think Matthew would have resigned himself to this - I do think he genuinely would have tried with Lavinia at the outset. He screwed up in 2x08, but he's still a decent man with a strong moral compass (albeit misguided in his thinking about the correlation between duty and marriage; he is unfortunately a product of a bygone era). But he knows on the eve of his wedding that something is missing and I think eventually he would have succumbed. Perhaps you mean to convey a sense of Matthew's self-deception and fatalism. That I do think is accurate.

In any event, I also see this as a perfect rejoinder to those who ship M/C because Matthew is supposedly not right for Mary or toxic to her somehow (though what can be more toxic than marrying a man who will threaten and blackmail his intended?). It's as if "No M/M, ergo M/C." As much as I love M/M (and I do ship them so very hard!), I've always felt that if things hadn't worked out between them, Fellowes' idea of Mary setting sail for the New World was an inspired one. (And I have a feeling that's where you're going here.) Talk about something bold and empowering that would free her from the strictures of the aristocracy and give her independence. Much more so than a conventional marriage to a nouveau riche media magnet twice her age. Beyond the unhappiness of such a union ... yawn.

Suffice it to say I'm in. (But please do continue with Grace; I'm so looking forward to the conclusion!)
Guest chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
Well done. Very sad but makes sense for Mary. I may be alone, but I'd rather not know what happens next. I hope you will write something new.
circa1910 chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
Yes. This is good. Mary's strong. Thanks for taking us through her emotions and thought process. I am looking forward to what you create for her. She is choosing to act instead of react. She isn't going to accept crumbs from Matthew. He doesn't deserve her. The nerve of him mentally planning trysts at his wedding reception. Humph!
maricejayo chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
*sobs* more please, more
meegsz chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
More. more. more. Please! While the story might be different, the amazing storytelling is the same!
acct-delted chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
This is beautiful. The magnet metaphor is just lovely. Splendid. I would love to see more.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
I've never written a review before because I never know what to write but I had to put something in this box in the hope that it might encourage you to continue. That was amazing and made my heart ache. Please, please write more.
1,596 | « Prev Page 1 .. 96 103 104 105 106 107 Next »