Reviews for A Girl You Knew
ameliapemerson chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
That's how you do it! amazing twisting canon inside out and making it work better! The confrontation with Robert was spot on! And the understanding between MM perfect! I loved the little scene with Matthew so happy! And the happiness of Isobel! Yay!
Guest chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
I was wondering why Robert kept bursting in on the two of them. I should have known that you were just holding the reins of the plot as masterfully as always. I really like this story and will be sad to see it go, as each chapter actually revealed more and more (rather than less and less, as can happen in less gifted hands) of the characters' intertwined lives. But it must be exhilarating to be so close to the end. This story has seen me through a lot of Bad Stuff this past year, so perhaps the end will bring a nice closure for author and reader alike. Thanks for writing.
luvgoround chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
Wow - what a confrontation! But really, really good! I loved Matthew's bliss in the morning and how he told Isobel and basically telling Carson - step aside - I'm going in...Love this whole chapter - and of course, the ending...
trinadeckers chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
I have no words. So good. OMG
Alexa chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
Well, finally! Finally! And now even baby!
Speetsy chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
AHHHHHHH THEY'RE TOGETHER! FINALLY! IT'S HAPPENING!

I just had to get that out of my system. Anyway, incorporating the money storyline with a twist was genius, really. The situation, in a way, is reversed. Weird. Was it always meant to be reversed? Mary loses her spouse/lover and inherits money instead of Matthew? The flipped parallels are interesting nonetheless.

Your portrayal of Robert is quite lovely because I want to bash my head against the wall when I read this and when I watch the show. BRAVO! Your characters are so wonderfully because they're never OOC. You and Chickwriter know how it's done in an AU. Big round of applause!

Now that the couple is finally a couple and happy, does that mean this story is coming to an end? I can't remember how much you said you have left. It'll be the end of an era for sure. This will be the story I knew. ;)
Guest chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
Love love these two and your wonderful writing!
Naniee chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
Oh Robert... I mean, seriously ugh. I'm glad Mary will take charge haha. I'M EVEN MORE GLAD THAT SHE IS FINALLY SURE ABOUT MATTHEW thank god.

Very nice chapter :)) I like how it's reversed compared to canon, that it is Mary's dead husband's money that will save the estate. I'm glad she came up with the solution this fast, and is not questionning the morality of it, like Matthew did in canon. You show really well the difference of character between the two here.
golden12 chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
It's going to be difficult for me to pinpoint the highlight of this chapter. There are so many wonderful moments. Maybe I should try the order in which they appear...
Matthew telling his mother that he is marrying Mary, and his mother realizing what it means to him. What it means to Matthew to be able to share it with her.
Matthew telling Carson that he loves Mary.
Matthew's utter astonishment that Robert thinks he will be coerced into marrying for money.
Mary standing up to her father and telling him in no uncertain terms that she is an adult, that she is wealthy in her own right, that if she agrees to save his ass, he will no longer be making the decisions.
Mary telling Robert that even thought Mack's money will save him, that she resents that he never had much to say to him.
Mary telling Robert that she didn't appreciate being pawned off onto Sybil and Matthew when she was at her worst.
Matthew telling Mary that he likes knowing that they are on the same team.
Can you tell, I loved everything about this chapter? Finally, Mary has had the voice to tell everyone, except Matthew, to stuff it. (I wanted to lead a cheer for her!) You've given her such a wonderful tone, she is angry, but not unreasonable. She just wants to be heard. Matthew, he now understands what it was like for Mary, being told to marry Patrick.
Perfect!
megspazzy chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
Mary deserves a standing ovation for putting Robert in his place. For the first bit of this chapter, I was convinced that Mary would say that Matthew had misunderstood and she wasn't going to marry him, so I'm glad to be surprised, as Matthew was. I loved Matthew and Carson's interaction, it was much more like Carson was acting as Mary's father than Robert.
Audrey C chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
Oh my goodness! Thank God Mary didn't have a change of heart the next morning. Loved how Mary stood up to Robert. Yes, lets get the reigns of Downton out of Roberts hands. Interesting twist with Mary's money from Mack saving the day instead of Lavinia's fortune. The conversation at the end between Matthew and Mary is just sooo "them." She's the prickly one but he knows exactly how to soothe her and she responds so well to him. Sad to see the story coming to a close, but what a wonderful story it is!
Eternally Romantic chapter 40 . 2/19/2014
I love the way you resolved this. And I still love Mackenzie even though I am happy Mary and Matthew are together. Bravo. :)
kaos2405 chapter 39 . 2/17/2014
I loved it. Perfection.
kaos2405 chapter 38 . 2/17/2014
Awww go Matthew
Juicyjools chapter 39 . 2/13/2014
So happy to see this.
I just love this story, full of angst and I also want to kick Mary into her senses.
Bring on chapter 40.