Reviews for A Girl You Knew
yamada-shiya chapter 6 . 9/9/2012
oh my gosh mack is adorable! I seriously do not understand why some people in the comments dislike him! I also kinda visualise the handsome smiley-faced Josh Bowman as Mack so it helps a lot. XD Hahaha I really hope there's a chance that he and Mary goes and visits Downton and show them how happy and friendly and sweet they are to each other! I simply love this story and I can't wait to read the next one!
nadstar3 chapter 6 . 9/9/2012
It's bittersweet as we watch these 2 fall I'm love. Solid m/m ending still plnned, right?
nolongerinuseee chapter 6 . 9/9/2012
Loving it. :)
grapeseedy chapter 5 . 9/7/2012
I think it is so interesting to see your take on what would have happened to Matthew's character if Lavinia didn't die. I think (in canon, after she died) that he blames himself more than anyone, but drags Mary down with him - not to make him feel better per se - but because he needs someone down there with him. He cannot deal with the guilt alone. And that line about being cursed I've always interpreted to be that they are cursed because Lavinia died, not that she died because they are cursed. But this guilt in this story is a different kind of guilt, because it's more that he loves two people at once, in very different ways IMO and will therefore never be happy and basically he feels he has ruined all three of their lives (without admitting it). ANYWAY - that's just my interpretation of Matthew in this story. I also love how much you focus on Lavinia and flesh out her character, I think you are still very on-point with her - she wants to save all of them from this mess that they find themselves in, in a very self-less way. Which is kind of the opposite of Matthew. Who I love dearly and I believe is truly a good-hearted person who just wants to do the right thing, but because he has this need to do the right thing, he does the wrong thing in the long run. So very good, but so very flawed. OMG, these characters! You really do them justice. Again, your writing is perfect. LOVE (Sorry for the rambliest review ever!)
MistressBlack523 chapter 5 . 9/6/2012
LDI ilu.

i just love your characterisation of everyone, i think it keeps completely within character but in an AU setting. in both your stories tbh!

the contrast of atmosphere in england and america is so compelling, where in england is always tense and angsty, in america it's the complete opposite. for which i am glad bc mary needs have some fun. i'm so glad she's found a friend in mack, bc she really does lack friends, no one to divulge her thoughts to and have fun with (there's anna but social hierarchy won't allow it)

matthew is STILL doing wrong by both women. though i know that he didn't want to post that letter to mary, i think he still would have after a time (just like lavinia said) he's hurting BOTH of them. i don't really care much for lavinia (SORRY it's not your lavinia its just lavinia in general, i know i shouldn't feel this way but i doooo lol) but my goodness i'm feeling so much sympathy for her

"What do you really want, Mary? Name the terms." what does this even mean?! matthew stop. mary will want him to stop writing to her and so he will actually have to adhere to her wishes.

(psst are you going give hints for the next chapter like you did for some of grace? :P just wondering! you totally don't have to of course :))
thorteso chapter 5 . 9/4/2012
Again, Mack and Lavinia are my favorite characters in this story! Thanks for posting (Now off to eat some ice cream)
Katie chapter 5 . 9/4/2012
This is a great story! I found this last night, on the hunt for the perfect Matthew/Mary fic, and this has caught my eye. I so badly want to know what happens next. This is one of the only fics where I like all the characters the same as how I like them in the tv series, which is a very good thing because it shows that you are portraying them correctly (or at least I think you are). Mack seems like a nice character, I want to learn more about him.
Hess chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
I must confess that I was a little apprehensive about reading a story where Matthew is married to Lavinia. I kept putting off reading. However, I finally started the story. WOW what a story. It is really nice to see Lavinia strong, with lots of backbone and willing to fight for Matthew.

Matthew in this story is very interesting. It certainly sounds like he his regretting his marriage. What will he do going forward. He is so conflicted. He can't have both Lavinia and Mary in his life. He must make a choice.

Love the Mary and Mackenzie storyline. He sounds like a very interesting and loveable character. Can't wait for Mackenzie and Matthew to meet! He is a person that Matthew is just going to hate!

Looking forward to more chapters now that I am totally hooked this story!
Julie chapter 5 . 9/3/2012
Great story! It made me cry. Although I would prefer to see Matthew and Mary together I am enjoying this story line a lot. Look forward to the next chapter!
rcfan2007 chapter 5 . 9/3/2012
Well, this story gets more and more complicated, doesn't it?

Mary...honestly, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Things are going a bit too well for Mary. I'm sure you've got something up your sleeve. I loved Lavinia's comment about her being "free". It came at a high cost though, one that Lavinia wasn't willing to pay.

Lavinia...fascinating turn with her here. By eliminating the bedside confrontation, you make her less culpable in this messy marriage and make Matthew more-so IMO. What I mean is, during the show's confrontation, Matthew didn't exactly make a great case for himself or their future marriage. His main argument for continuing with their wedding was basically, "No worries. Mary's unavailable. Marry me!" But here, Matthew does say all the right things and Lavinia wants to believe him so, so much. She did turn a blind eye though and should have confronted him herself about the kiss...so yeah, she still partially dug her own grave and I can only muster so much empathy for her.

Matthew... .Heck?! No hate, but still not feeling the least bit sorry for him. I read a couple reviews not liking how Matthew's being portrayed, but I do think this is a plausible way for him to go. He's coming off short-sighted and selfish here. I think he was definitely short-sighted on the show. A bit selfish too. It all comes back to the dance. He asked Mary, suspecting her true feelings, and yet fully intending on marrying Lavinia. That's not UN-selfish at any rate. Also, the crux of letter seems to be in line with JF's quote about these two not being complete in marriages with other people. He wants her in his life in any capacity that she will allow. Too bad it comes off as wanting his cake and eating it too...not sure if that was intentional or not here.
downtonlove chapter 5 . 9/3/2012
This is incredible! I have so many feelings about this story! You've taken me all over the place with it and I love it! Thank you for that!

I'm on...

Team Mack! How can you not love an American God, who makes her laugh, has proved himself to be a good friend and brings ice cream!? Um, yes please! I hope that Mary and Mack will continue their easy friendship and become closer after Newport.

Team Mary- Poor darling #1. I really feel like she's done the right thing for everyone in the situation. Yes, she loves Matthew and with that love has been a good friend to Lavinia. After Matthew, for better or worse, chose Lavinia Mary broke off her loveless relationship with Richard, moved away is trying to move on. I think she's incredibly brave and strong to move to America and leave all that she's loved.

Team Lavinia- Poor darling #2. I'm really impressed with this Lavinia. I don't know if I could have read Matthew's letter, posted it and then had the patience to wait for him start looking for it before I clawed his eyes out. She deserves an apology from Matthew about his letters and his feelings for another while being a married man. I'm assuming that Lavinia and Matthew are not sleeping in the same bed or won't there be a child soon? And if they are still sleeping together I'm waiting for drunk Matthew to yell out Mary's name while being with his wife. Oh, and poor darling Lavinia envious of Mary's freedom. :(

...the outs with this Matthew (which is ok). His letter? Ok, I'm glad that he apologized to Mary for the drunken letter. What I didn't like was that he talked more about the amount of alcohol he drank, not understanding how he made it back to bed, and Isobel's messy address book more than what he's done to Mary and Lavinia in the past few years. What I really don't get is when he wrote, "What do you really want, Mary? Name it and it's yours" and "What do you really want, Mary? Name the terms." What? I think his letters are unkind and he's still hurting Mary. I hope he starts figuring out the consequences of his actions or lack of actions soon.

So sorry for my novel! I just love all the different feelings I have for this fic! Please don't get me wrong I love all of the characters, the good and bad. I can't wait to see where you continue to take each of them. Bravo.
Rozoben chapter 5 . 9/3/2012
First of all - let me say how much I look forward to an update from you on this fic. I think your characters are very complex. Most of all Lavinia. I think you stated once (I forget whether it was tumblr or here ) that Lavinia has a say in this AU but I didn't realize how complex this Lavinia is ! She witnesses Matthew confessing to Mary and keeps quite yet when she finds Matthew's letter to Mary she posts it to her knowing that it will keep the story alive. She wishes she had Mary's freedom and yet consoles herself that marriage is a long business and Matthew will come around. How can she be so dual and so contrary ? Between Mary Matthew and lavinia , Lavinia is the most complex and most confused. I find her lacking guidance and kind of digging her own grave in this fic.

Now matthew - oh Matthew ...once he was open to Mary about how much he felt for her this game was totally on. dS said in an interview that Matthew is one of the most romantically confused man is correct. Yes he admitted to wanting to let Lavinia go and then when he came back from honeymoon it was to th shock of finding Mary gone and finding out about the pamuk affair. I understand his suffering but for some reason I believe that after he recovers from this shock he will make an attempt to be a better husband to Lavinia. Maybe that is why I feel he would never have posted the letters. Maybe Isabel will once again intervene like she did in canon.

And you go Mary girl ! For being so determined to move on. Of the three she is really the most confident character.

Am waiting anxiously for the next update!
cowherderess chapter 5 . 9/3/2012
Oh gosh, they're all three so sad! Matthew not wanting to be married to Lavinia, Lavinia not wanting to be married to him either, Mary alone in America... I'm so sorry for all of them and I don't see how this will end happily (but, never fear, I will keep reading no matter how long it takes!). But Matthew- Lavinia does deserve an apology. Well she ought to apologize too, for snooping through his things, but then Matthew wrote those letters in the first place... poor darlings. I hope Mary eventually feels comfortable enough to confide in Mack, because I think this situation would benefit from a new perspective- though considering how prickly Mary is with nearly everyone (except Matthew and Anna), that may never happen. Mack is still so nice, though. I hope you update soon!
Guest chapter 5 . 9/3/2012
I love this story! It is my favorite and I am constantly checking to see if you've updated. :) It makes my day when you do.
Eviedee chapter 5 . 9/3/2012
Not sure where this is all going - but not happy with this Lavinia and a very poor Matthew..
1,596 | « Prev Page 1 .. 87 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 .. Last Next »