Reviews for The Better Sword
metaladdict chapter 31 . 3/3
interesting series, looking forward to more.
Aiur chapter 31 . 1/1
I'm very glad I came across this piece, and I'm sad to see that it is likely dead. You did an amazing job of creating believable plot divergences instead of shoehorning your selected changes into the existing framework. Your dialogue comes across well sometimes, and very flat at others, but other than that and occasional typos you did a fantastic job.

If you do decide to pick this back up, don't be afraid to finish the story however you like - your guess on Martin's resolution is as good as that of anyone else at this point, I you could undoubtedly get your version out before him. I would recommend leaving out the whole White Walker plot-line for simplicity's sake, since there are zero major characters that are affected by it in this story.
Lilyzinha chapter 31 . 12/8/2013
this is one of the best song of fire and ice fanfiction! I love this Robb and his love for Margaery, also Arianne seems to be amazing as well! And Arthur Dayne is a terrific character! Hope there Robb/Jon interaction and Jon ask question to Benjen about Lyanna
oldman543 chapter 31 . 12/3/2013
Good stuff. Sad you stopped updating.
LauraJenCC chapter 31 . 11/27/2013
Nooo it can't be over :o please please update this is the best story I've read in ages
chiquijurema2011 chapter 31 . 10/19/2013
I love your story and have it bookmarked! I hope you come back because I would love to see how it ends!
Nemrut chapter 31 . 10/11/2013
Fascinating concept since it changed quite a lot that I hadn't forseen it would change. For one, it seemed that Westeros was better off for a while, with no outright struggle between Stark and Lannister. However, as bad as things got, so far it still seems better, although I can feel that it will get worse, seeing that there is no Tywin left to reel in Joeffrey and Cersei.

Overall, I liked the depictions of the characters, however I do think there are certain weaknesses in their portrayals;

For one, I do not think Cersei was quite this unreasonable at the early stages. This "slight" against Joeffrey would not have caused her to resort to poison quite that early. Cersei may not be the genius she sees herself as but she is also not the retard the fandom likes to portray her as. She would know that killing the Lord of Winterfell in the most obvious way possible would be a very bad idea. Which leads into the notion that the Queen of Thorns decided to do the same.

I can get why she didn't like the match but it wasn't like Margery decided to marry some baker or blacksmith or anything or someone's third son. She would be the lady of the largest part of the kingdom, with a good husband. After all, while she can play the Game of Thrones, quite well, in fact, she is not really one who actively seeks out to participate or raise the stakes. If it had been her call, Highgarden would have never followed Renly and later Joeffrey. She knows that there is no true "winning" and that they are actually better off not being too involved in this or play a more cautious, long term game without obvious assassinations.

So, it seems a bit out of character for her to try to poison Robb so that her beloved grandaughter ends up marrying Joeffrey, someone whom she by now knows to be a complete and utter piece of shit.

Likewise, Doran seemed way more emotional than he is, with his outburst. After all, Dany really knew nothing about the plans and he seems too cautious and intelligent to ever lose his calm like that.

Also, may not be true, but wasn't Ser Jorah exiled after Daenerys acquired the unsullied? Shouldn't she already have that army by now? May remember wrong though.

Still, really liked the changes and where this story goes. Quite liked this kinship among Tywin and Cate, of course, nothing good lasts long in this series.

Am curious to see where this duel will go. I mean, I can see Arthur sacrificing himself at some point in order to make sure he will not kill Robb, since there is really no chance for Robb here and he may not want to kill a young boy who is just grieving for a father he had never met.

So yeah, quite like the story, thank you for sharing this.
purple sky always chapter 31 . 9/22/2013
The ending was rather shocking. I wonder if the Morning Star will purposefully lose so as to spare Robb Stark's family.
Grumpywinter chapter 31 . 9/1/2013
Can't wait for the next chapter. and the look on Tyrion and Jaime's faces when they learn what Cersei did.
Tavarus Magnus chapter 31 . 8/18/2013
This... is really awesome. Great AU. Love it, Need more... I can't write more complex sentences due to the awesome.
turtlepie chapter 17 . 7/29/2013
The whirlwind romance (more like whirlwind exchange of a handful of words on two occasions) doesn't really fit the tone of AsoIaF, so this plot line feels rather forced. I can't bring myself to care that Margaery was poisoned, and I can't help but roll my eyes at the thought of Robb being "broken" over her death.

It's all too much like some kind of Disney fairy tale with a GRRM ending tacked on rather poorly.
ChairmanJeong chapter 31 . 6/25/2013
Quite interesting but I really would have been glad if dany and robb were... engaged... that might have been the cost for the north but excellent story
ColdHandsLuke chapter 31 . 4/16/2013
I really like this story, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next chapter!
Veridissima chapter 31 . 4/14/2013
This story is amazing
I love your idea
So happy that Jon has finally met Robb. And love Jon relationship with both Dany and Arthur. Can't wait for them to meet Aegon
I was so sad when Margaery died, and Robb was so heartbroken. But love how Jaime protected Cersei. And happy that Tywin died, not really happy with the idea of Tywin and Catelyn
So sad that she never got to know Ned, and so sad that when she describes his father to Robb, she describes Brandon, with us knowing how different they are
And love that Jon is still a warg, I hope they found direwolves (Robb with Greywind and Jon with Rhaego in one side and Ghost on the other... would be awesome)
And I hope Robb changes his mind about fighting Arthur
Hope you update soon
Darksnider05 chapter 19 . 3/26/2013
This chapter is still mind boggling and sorta stupid she needs an Army and Dany never struck me as stupid enough to believe she could get by on her name alone.

She needs to go get her slave Army and free them thus giving her some actual power.