Reviews for Sly Cooper: Heart of Darkness
cheesebread222 chapter 10 . 2/23/2013
Excellent as usual.

I am glad that Juliette has returned. Though I'm not sure how I feel about knowing you changing the direction the story is going. I only say that because of the first chapter and because, with a story like this, it's nice to know that it is going somewhere and we will not simply be left "hanging" as it were. Still, I have faith in you. So I look forward to whatever comes next.

I also look forward to Sly as a Fox and your Valentine's Day story.

I have really nothing left to say, other than that I enjoyed it, and of course that I can't wait for more.
NinjaxSketcheartx chapter 10 . 2/23/2013
As much as I love Juliette I honestly expected you to just leave her where she was. I was prepared to say goodbye but it's nice to see that she's going to appear more. Who knows what she plans to do. I doubt that she wants to stay holed up in a hotel room for an unspecified time. Who knows? Maybe she'll sneak out when Sly's gone and then she'll be caught again? I don't think Sly would go through the trouble of saving her again.

Hmm, I enjoyed the inner conflict Sly had concerning Juliette's well-being. Of course, he's always looking out for his own tail. Speaking of tails, I don't recall what animal Juliette is. I'm gonna have to refer back and see if I missed that.

Now, why would Bentley send those wolves after him? It's natural for Sly to be paranoid but Bentley was the one who went looking for him. Why would he suddenly turn on Sly?

And Carmelita… what has she been up to? I have a feeling that the next time she and Sly meet, it will be an unfriendly encounter. Then again, isn't that how it was at first? Hmm, now that I think about it, she's kind of, sort of working with Scar. Even though she won't be directly involved, whose to say that she and Sly will be on the same team if Scar's around?

After reading Sly as a Fox, I have to admit I've become more interested in seeing more updates from Heart of Darkness. I just prefer this since there's a serious tension and it's more realistic. Don't get me wrong, I love your other fanfic but I've become accustomes to reading this.

My goodness! You got a hundred percent on Sly 4? I haven't even got up to eighty percent! But the game is pretty nice, right? Aside from the cheesy jokes and the fact I got annoyed running around searching for the last clue bottle in every place, I gotta say it's okay. Though, I'm a bit disappointed that Henriette "One Eye" Cooper wasn't there. Sure, she was mentioned but still.

And the ending! Ohmygod! I didn't see that coming! I expected someone to die! I don't know who but somebody. I didn't expect THAT to happen. Did you notice that Clockwerk makes an appearance? Like that mission in the prehistoric era, there's a statue of him. I don't remember where but it's some place high.

Well, that was rather long. My morning started off when I read this and I'm more than awake after reading. Do I even need to say this chapter was awesome as well as the previous ones?

Anywho, I look forward to the next update! :D
cheesebread222 chapter 9 . 1/21/2013
its unfortunate we probably will not be seeing much more of Juliette. but another excellent chapter. and excellent way to introduce the cane into the story.

not really anything else i noticed that i feel i need to go into detail about, so as always, i can't wait for more.
timexgone23 chapter 9 . 1/21/2013
Haha I would have to say that you are absolutely correct on the basis of our complements being very well covered by the many amazing and wonderful adjectives at our disposal in the English language. But again I must say that this is an awesome chapter - while undoubtedly a filler, it was necessary and I'm exceptionally happy that you decided to break it up...Personally, I wouldn't have been able to follow the more tech-savvy speech; however, do not mistake this for my ignorance of the subject :P

And yes, I knew exactly what you meant when you had said that haha, no worries there at all. I know you wouldn't do that to a lady such as myself. In any case (and while we're undeniably on the subject) I completely agree with how you had managed Carmelita and Sly. You've not only made it very believable, but you've captured their essence and I'm elated by this.

Oh yes...The Alex Cross series was very drab and exceptionally dull after a while. I loved the first three books, after that I simply stopped reading them. James Patterson is one of my favorite authors, but I do not believe that it was his best work by far. And I was aware of that actually - I have, regretfully, not read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, but I knew that the term "It's elementary my dear Watson" wasn't used until much later. But, I digress :)

In any case, this was a wonderfully written chapter (in hopes of returning to the topic of my review, obviously). As I mentioned at the very beginning, we have certainly encompassed nearly as many positive adjectives and descriptions to even begin to express our love for the other's work, but I still feel it necessary to provide with positive feedback and will certainly continue to do so as your work (even though I know you are too humble to accept it *rolls eyes mockingly and with a smile*) is exceptional beyond belief and I feel as if encouragement is never harmful.

And yes, PMs will be sent as I WILL be in correspondence with you in the foreseen future haha, and take your time reviewing my work - I have no idea when I'll be updating again...I'll leave you with hopes of the next chapter coming soon and to wish you luck and congratulations on your Masters Program!

Meg
NinjaxSketcheartx chapter 9 . 1/21/2013
Well, that was interesting. This is starting to become like a movie. I love it! I can visualize just about everything. I absolutely love the way you write the action. I could imagine Sly hitting that wolf with his baton. Just reading it hurts MY head.

The way Sly works kind of reminds me as an assassin. Perhaps I'm being delusional here but in a sense, he still is a thief. I honestly thought Sly would have spared Goldilocks but I guess he can't risk being compromised.

Hmm, no more Juliette. At one point, I thought you were going to kill her. This course of action would have fueled Sly in—I dunno, avenging her? Not because he loved her or anything, but maybe because she was an innocent girl who, technically, wasn't involved in Sly's line of work.

But she and Sly don't have that kind of relationship, not in Sly's view at least. The way you portrayed her in this chapter just showed that she harbors some feelings for Sly. And I'm sure Sly wants to stay in the friend zone because he doesn't want any setbacks, or anything.

But nonetheless, I enjoyed reading this. It was definitely worth the wait and I can't wait to see what happens next :)
cheesebread222 chapter 8 . 12/26/2012
another good chapter.

the only oversight i saw is that, considering Sly's world is one of anthropomorphic animals, when seeking information on someone that had been visually seen, what type of animal they were would have been provided. other that that, excellent work.

really nothing else to say other than i hope you also had a merry Christmas, and i cant wait for more.
timexgone23 chapter 8 . 12/25/2012
This, good sir, is amazingly written. I would have commented in every chapter, but I find it a waste of time to review work that is already followed up by another continuing chapter. So I'll begin with the previous chapters before moving forward to this last, invigorating, chapter. However, before I do that, I have to say that you have an amazing ability to not only keep your secrets to yourself in regards to this hidden plot, but you're incredibly talented with action sequences, details, character development and realism lol :)

Let's start at the beginning: The way you began this story not only caught my interest, but kept it and was very cinimatic in a way (which I love) that made you wonder what was possibly around the next corner. The details were immaculate and very, very appropriate and even more so when it comes to the progression of the first chapter into the second and so on. The flashback sequence from the first to the second is also a genius move as it makes us as readers question how Sly managed to get him into the situation that he had.

As the chapters progress I have to say that you've taken our beloved characters and matured them greatly. Each cannon is kept in character despite the obvious change from Sucker Punches version to your own. Again, I have to comment on detail as you paint a very specific portrait for us to imagine and I have to relate to this...a specific image allows for more control over the world we as authors are creating for our readers and you've not only aced this exam, but you've breezed through it and left all of us to wonder "how"...obviously an extreme example, but I believe you know where I'm coming from with it haha. Moving through the chapters you not only capture this darkness and underworld, 40's speak-easy type of film-worthy transcript, but you embrace it and it's clear to see that, while you may not believe there is great effort there, a great many authors (myself included) who wished they had the ability to embrace such a plotline. And I say that affectionately! What you've managed to do was recreate an amazing world of crime into an enjoyable plot and even better with our favorite characters in the mix. Bentley and Murray's characters are not only amusing, but very well done. Given the changes you've made to Sly, we cannot assume that Bentley and Murray will also be the same as Sucker Punches as it would be rather awkward. However, I can't help but wonder how they will eventually play out to the situation in the first chapter. I'm excited to see how you do this!

Now, moving onto this chapter: Very, very well done. I tend to depict a slight hinting of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Alder between Sly and Carmelita and I have to say that considering the nature of the story...it's very appropriate :) And a part of me feels as if he takes her up on her offer given the Sly/Carmelita complex of cat and mouse that they develop naturally as both of them are attracted to each other (the pairing in your summary also suggests as much). Overall a wonderfully written chapter that brings us a step closer to where we leave off in the first!

On a more personal note, thank you for the lovely review of my own chapter and it's nice hearing from you again. I completely understand where you're coming from with the situation that college presents...I was also buried underneath loads of work. But, on a happier note, I'm happy that you're back and ready for action! I've missed reading your fictions and I can't wait for your next update :) And a Merry Christmas to you as well and if neither of us update before then, have a wonderfully Happy New Year :)

Much Love,
M
NinjaxSketcheartx chapter 8 . 12/24/2012
I like that you made Sly kind of a lonewolf before he got involved with Bentley. It really affects the way he works and how he's always wary of his surroundings and the people around him.

Carmelita playing the coquette? It's nice to see that she's the one who's flirting and Sly is resisting when it's usually vice versa. It's different but nice for a change. Then again, not all the characters in this are in-character but their trademark qualities are there. Like Bentley being a "sour puss" and Murray being Murray and so on.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Juliette is working for Solomon. Or are you not sure what to do with her yet? In the past chapters, I thought that you would kill her and then I went over the significance and importance of that happening, and how it would affect Sly.

How long has it been since I've read Sly as a Fox? Hmm, I only remember Carmelita breaking into Sly's hideout and Bentley and Penelope disappearing. It has been awhile since you've touched that story but whatever story you choose to update is up to you.

Have a Merry Christmas, and Happy New Years! May God bless you and those you cherish! :D
cheesebread222 chapter 7 . 12/14/2012
good chapter as usual.

sorry to hear about your computer, tech failures almost always seem to happen at the worst possible times. if you cant get MWord for whatever reason, i would recommend looking into open office. its grammar check isn't great, but otherwise it works great.

back to the story at hand, great to see you kept Murray pretty much the same even though all the circumstances are different.

anyway, great story, and I can't wait for more.
NinjaxSketcheartx chapter 7 . 12/9/2012
It's a good thing I'm very patient. Once I didn't get a reply from you, I knew something was wrong and I just told myself to wait. And it's strange, I had a feeling that your absence was caused by Hurricane Sandy. Nevertheless, it's alright and I understand. No need to apologize.

And this chapter was worth waiting. When I read the chapter title, I immediately thought, "Murray." I liked that you went back to give us in more detail as to explain exactly how Bentley located him. And it seems that Sly still believes in the "all for one, and one for all," hence what he said in the comics.

Truthfully, when I have trouble writing first point of views, I always come to this story and read it. It has helped somewhat but that's only because my other stories are taken in a third point of view rather than first person. My thoughts become scrambled and I always have trouble. Heh, but whose fault is that? Mine.

As always, this chapter was an absolute joy to read. I didn't see anything wrong other than the fact that the action scene was a little hard to imagine but that's me whose at fault.

I hope you update soon!
cheesebread222 chapter 6 . 11/10/2012
that was great. and it was long, but also action packed so it seemed to flow well and didn't feel like it was dragging on. great amount for one sitting.

nice introducing Carmelita into the story, I can honestly say i didn't see it coming.

I didn't notice any errors this time around, and I'm sorry that there was a bit of a delay between you posting this chapter and me reading it, but I've been quite swamped lately.

anyway, another great chapter, I'm looking forward to Murray's introduction (though I'm sure if you had introduced an OC it would have worked just a well), and I can't wait for more.
BananaB0mb chapter 6 . 10/16/2012
I know I've said this a ton of times before, but once more, you've impressed me with another awesome chapter. It was great to see how well Sly had trained himself in this entire thing, and in a way, how he can still smooth talk his way out of most situations. He's still the same Sly we know, but with your own twist, haha. And also, very interesting with the fact that Carmelita was shown. Either it's really her, or just someone using the name... Hard to say really, and perhaps you mentioned it beforehand, but it's late, and I'll have to check it in a few hours after some sleep.

And to respond to what you said in the author's notes... That may be the case, but I've always had an interest in gambling. Not sure why, and I don't actually delve into it myself, but it's certainly fun to research/watch. Poker especially, which I've played myself, but am not exceptionally good at, haha. Regardless, I enjoyed this one, and looking forward to an update soon!
NinjaxSketcheartx chapter 6 . 10/16/2012
Ohhh... Perhaps when I get older, I'll understand poker and baccarat. Although (to me) baccarat sounds like some sort of dish...

FINALLY! Carmelita is introduced! And I was so wrong on Juliette being Carm. God, why didn't I see it coming? Well, I loved the fight sequence between them. Reading this actually makes it feel like I'm watching a movie. Just wanted to let you know.

I understand that your busy (who isn't? And I'm not being sarcastic about it) and I appreciate the offer your making for advice. I'll let you know when I need something.

When you mentioned that a certain female will appear, for a moment I thought you were going to bring A.C into this but then I thought against it. Speaking of which, I now realized that A.C stands for Assassin's Creed. And speaking of Assassin's Creed, I'm reading a fanfic of it right now.

Getting off topic here but nonetheless, I think this is my favorite chapter. And as always, reading this absolutely made my day.

Hope you update soon! :D
cheesebread222 chapter 5 . 9/30/2012
excellent as usual.

i did notice two, um, typo's, as it were: when Sly is about to be seated, you have n where I think you meant to have in, and when Sly is first questioned by scar, you have a breach in there twice, which I don't think you intended to do.

but other than that it was a great chapter. and I am quite looking forward to your continued works. both with this story and with Sly as a Fox.

so as always, can't wait for more.
BananaB0mb chapter 5 . 9/30/2012
Once again, you impress me with this chapter. I quite enjoyed the gambling aspect in this; I'm not sure why, tbh, but it was really well written. I'm anxious to see how much of a bigger role Juliette is going to play in this, and what Sly plans to do with Scar incapaticated. That, or it makes me wonder if it could have possibly not worked on Scar, or if he somehow knew about the drug. I suppose we'll see soon enough.

And yeah, I knew it would be something like that, haha. Unfortunate, yes, but I suppose having less readers who take the time to give much more thoughtful reviews is better than just a simple, "update soon!1" and whatnot. Regardless, it's a shame, but I commend you for writing what you want, and not catering to readers, haha. I'd like to think I can do the same.

But anyway, another fun chapter, and I look forward to a new one soon!