Reviews for Argo's Compiled Skill Manual
Ningyo chapter 3 . 9/14/2012
I like your guide, and you have some cool ideas, but I would like to point out some discrepancies as well so you can keep this closer to canon.

First you have some problematic post-requisites for thrown weapons.
(Rondo of the Transient Sword, Chap 3) "The only way to attack from a distance was to use a weapon belonging to the «Throwing Blade» category, and it should be made clear that it should be treated as only a supplementary weapon." (Also as a note alot of people are using bows in their fanfics, and many have reviewed your guide so I know they read it, it might be worth putting a page of skills specifically said to not exist. This of course was changed in Alfiem so I suspect some are getting it from that)

Second you have the weapon skills going up significantly too fast. In "First Day (November 2022)" Kirito kills approximately 150 lvl 3 Nepents using between 1 and 4 attacks each to go from lvl 1 to lvl 3 (also finished quest for the level). That would be at least 400 attacks which at even 1 skill per 10 would be 40 skill points. However at the beginning of "Red-nosed Reindeer (December 2023)" his one-handed reaches 950. At the rate of 40 per day it would take only around 3 weeks instead of a bit over a year. Also note he was grinding harder than almost anyone else in the game to get it that fast. So I suspect your rate of skill gain should be through a different method or at most 1-3 per 100 instead of 1-5 per 10.

Third you are missing the following martial arts skills. (Flash hit, Meteor Break, Embracer)
(Rondo of the Transient Sword, Chap 4) "the wasp's round inflated stomach caught it. «Martial Arts» basic skill, «Flash Hit»."
From fighting against skeleton with Asuna on 74th floor "Then I sent a vertical swing at the swaying skeleton, and without pause I rammed it again, with my right shoulder this time. It was a skill that overcame the problem of chaining strong attacks together by combining them with tackles: «Meteor Break». Not meaning to brag, but it was a skill that required unarmed-fighting skills as well as one-handed sword skills."
From killing Kuradeel "I stabbed my hand into the gap between Kuradeel's thick armor. It glowed yellow as it buried itself deep within Kuradeel's stomach. I had successfully countered with the point-blank range skill «Embracer»"

And these one handed skills. (Vertical Arc, Sharpnail)
(Rondo of the Transient Sword, Chap 4) " Without wasting this opportunity, I used my one handed sword to send out two consecutive slashes, «Vertical Arc»." (also the «Vertical» skill is sometimes referred to as «Vertical Slash»)
(Red-nosed Reindeer) "As ants approached from both left and right, I faced towards the one on the right, and threw a dagger to stop its movement before killing the one on the left with the triple attack skill «Sharpnail».)

Dagger skill (Rapid Bite, Fad Edge)
(The Black Swordsman) "As the apes raised their clubs and bared their teeth to roar, Silica rushed towards the one in front to make the first strike. She got a clean hit in and took off quite a chunk of its HP with «Rapid Bite», a middle class charge-type dagger skill, and then went into one of the high speed combos that was one of the greatest advantages of wielding a dagger." (included extra text as it gives info on daggers)
(The Black Swordsman) "But just before she was about to launch her fourth skill «Fad Edge» and kill the first ape.."

Somethings of interest to note
(A Murder in the Area) "It was the «Pierce DoT» trait that only a few of the piercing weapons had." also "and the «Sneaking» skill that was used on non-metallic armor"
From killing ragout rabbit "I had one chance to attack before the opponent noticed me. I raised my pick, praying mentally, and assumed the «Single Shot» position. " (example of Throwing Blade skill)

I hope these notes help And thanks for the guide it was well written.
WhizkidHV chapter 8 . 9/12/2012
Oh, how I love reading this thing. :-)
Good job, really. Though I have different things compiled for my own stories, its fun to read your interpretations of these skills. Especially the comments near the end! Those are great! Keep it up!
CryptIXeeper chapter 8 . 9/12/2012
Thumbs up for Martial Arts Skill, Don't suppose you could explore two-handed spear next?
Mikhail's Song chapter 8 . 9/11/2012
Aaaah, so there are skills that can't be {replaced} or {removed} (so, essentially, a perma-skill; you're stuck with it for the rest of your life...)
Question time!
What is the difference between Hand-to-Hand combat and Martial Arts really? (that is aside from the passive skills; is it the style that's different?)
What are the weapons for? I see that some skills require weapons, so i was wondering, "what are they doing in the unarmed skill section? Are those unarmed skills that are usable with a weapon? (ex. you have a one hand sword, but instead of using the sword, you use your fist in a style that marks a one-handed sword user, Further ex: Cerberus Strike, from Tales of Vesperia?)
CryptIXeeper chapter 7 . 9/9/2012
From reading this I would definitely say its useful. Would it be possible to get a section on spears/polearms?
NecroMac chapter 7 . 9/7/2012
Its a great list of skill that can be really usefull for anyone working on SAO fanfic. Keep the good job!
Mikhail's Song chapter 6 . 9/4/2012
Question!
So I looked at the character sheets in the material editions in Baka-tsuki.
I see that Kirito has 12 skill slots as a level 96 (I'm guessing he got 12 skill slots when he got to lvl 95)
but with that in mind, i was wondering if he can only "choose" 12 skills out of the (assuming) many thousands of skills out in SAO.
But i did hear that he did something to squeeze the fishing skill into his slots/ (plus this equip thing... umm does that mean these skill slots can be emptied so that you can put in and train a different skill?)
So for example, say i had my skill slots full, but i come across a really BA skill but i have no room?
can i just unequip one of my unwanted skills and replace it with the BA one? If so, are there any consequences/penalties/losses (or even gains [really any effect]) after the removal of the unwanted skill?
(srry really long post..)
Guest chapter 6 . 9/4/2012
Such great potential in this story. can even make a guide for differint jobs, monsters even towns to help people write
demonsshade chapter 6 . 9/3/2012
What an interesting idea! I honestly thought it was canon at first. This should help me a lot when it comes to skills for the SAO fanfiction I'm writing right now. Thank you!
F u R o X chapter 6 . 9/3/2012
I have a doubt. If a floor's dungeon is cleared once does that mean the boss won't respawn ever again? Or can other players choose to go through the boss to collect exp. and items rather than teleporting directly to the next floor? Could you please explain it a bit to me? Also the skill Beast Tamer? Is it unique?
LiahFaile chapter 6 . 9/3/2012
You are awesome! This could honestly be canon as far as I'm concerned, and it makes such a great basis for RPG's!
:D
The comments at the bottom are freaking hilarious too.
Sperance chapter 5 . 8/28/2012
Well, this is interesting. The things you say about the skills make sense, and I get the feeling that some of the more "crazy" skills (like Battle Healing, which I think levels by taking damage) will get some snark from Argo. I'll keep an eye on this!
PlainStoryTeller chapter 5 . 8/27/2012
Haha, good chapter, but I have to ask, did you make a reference to my story by chance with the Spirit Sword?
Mikhail's Song chapter 4 . 8/26/2012
This is not so much a review, but maybe a request?
I'd like to know more about [Martial Arts],(and maybe [Meditation], though I'm struggling whether i should make my character use that...)
VarsityKen chapter 4 . 8/24/2012