Reviews for Gilligan's 'If'
J Lahoud chapter 1 . 6/8/2013
I think I missed this one as I trolled these archives the first time. Probably some sort of negative reaction to the words "poetry" and "Kipling" from my school days. Of course I've grown so since then (wink, wink) that I can now appreciate these things and appreciate this I did.

Gilligan is the perfect character for this poem. Humble to a fault and always conscious of trying to do the right thing with concern for everyone involved. That things don't always work out, but he continues on makes him the ultimate self-less protagonist that we can all relate to.

That really shows through here as I can see every rebuke he suffers from the "cap slaps" to Howells mocking to the Professor's condescending intellectual lectures. Well done and a great reminder why we all love the G-Man!
Li'l Milk Glass Chicky chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
To have floated away from the Gilligan's Island fandom only to flit right back to it and find all these wonderful new stories, it's overwhelming (in a good way, of course)! I don't know if you remember me, but I used to be The Milk Glass Chicky. I've changed my pen name for right now :P

I definitely like this Gilliganized take on the classic poem!

- If you can cause both calmness and disaster,

And hope that people love you just the same. - I was watching the episode "It's Magic" last night after I read this, feeling so bad when they said those things about Gilligan then feeling kind of smug when poor Giily disappeared and they all realized how terrible they'd been. Yes, while the castaways can get angry with our Little Buddy, they do love him even more!

- If you can look at Mary Ann and Ginger,

And not let obvious charms distract your mind,

From seeing all the goodness and the beauty,

Within a girl who's soft and sweet and kind. - Ha, of course Gilligan is definitely a Mary Ann fan boy! ;D

- If you can find a million things to do,

On a tiny island, each and every day,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

But best of all, you're Gilligan. Hooray! - Hear hear! Sums it up perfectly, that's our show alright!
Sideshow Cellophane 26 chapter 1 . 8/27/2012
Aw, very sweet! Our G-Man should think about this everytime he gets in trouble, he deserves some credit for the good things he does, not the messes (at least less blame). Good job!
JWood201 chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
Yaaaay! What a fantastic poem about our boy. I wasn't overly familiar with the original, but this made me want to look it up and I love both! You really captured the very essence of G Man in this short piece. It makes me love him that much more. He's considerate and brave and doesn't let anyone get him down, but when he does he puts his head back on straight and rejoins the group. And he's not swayed by Ol' Ginge and only a little bit by MA and he loves everyone and isn't intimidated by anyone. Not a bad guy to be. Brava!

It's hard to write poetry, so I'm giving you a standing ovation today, girl!
Matthew White chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
Very nicely done! Bravo!
autumnrose2010 chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
Encore! Encore! *applause*
TereseLucy384 chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
Wow - love love love

Perfect - so true and applicable to our loveable, hapless first mate.

So glad you posted this. It was a wonderful surprise to come home to after a day of . . . painting (again ;)

*hugs*
Cristy W-S chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
Aww...very, very good! :)

I'll be honest, when I saw this in my mailbox I was in two minds about reading it. 'If' is a very special poem to me and I don't really like to see it parodied, usually because the parodies are naff and disrespecting. But Teebs, your GI take on it was brill, and yeah, I can see how it does indeed suit our little buddy. Especially like the bit about the 'cap-slaps' (LOL!) and 'you can cause both calmness and disaster'. Ain't that the friggin' truth! :)

But he means well and stays true to himself in spite of all those domineering personalities that people the island. He's a treasure and he deserved this special treatment. Rudyard would be proud! :D

Love ya, teebs - glad to see you back! :)
Louise Hargadon chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
I FRICKIN' LOVE IT!

As you probably know, Teebs me ol' mucker - I'm not much of a one for poetry. But I do love this poem. Well, I mean, *this* one, but I suppose I was initially referring to Rudyard Kipling's poem. There are very few poems I actually love and so - well - yay you for picking one of 'em.

Gilligan does go through an awful lot, doesn't he?

"And, being mocked, don't give way to mocking/And yet don't let them cut you down to size."

- It's true, that's totally what he does, he just lets all that teasing go right over his head, but he's still got enough about him not to let them get him down or make him feel bad about himself. He's comfortable enough in his own skin to do that.

"If you can dream, and in your dreams live faster,"

- I don't know why I can only think of Pirate!Gilligan! No... he wasn't a pirate. He was on a ship though... he was like a heroic captain ... no, wait - PROFFY WAS A PIRATE! I can't remember the episode. You know the one I mean though. That was the first thing I thought of anyway. You know me. It's all about piracy.

Aww, and he DOES cause both chaos and disaster, but he only ever tries to help, that's all so true!

Love the bit about letting Mr Howell 'think' he's boss! It isn't called 'Gilligan's' Island for nothing!

Love the way you subtly got MAG in there and what it is about Mary Ann that makes Gilligan love her and not Ginge (even though we all know Ginger's not just a pretty face and obvious charms!).

And yes! He DOES always find a million things to do on the island! It amazes me how he never seems to have a day of 'meh', he's always interested in everything, all the time.

"Best of all, you're Gilligan. Hooray!"

- And who can argue with that?!

Brilliantly done, Teebs me ol' mucker. Really enjoyed this.

Looking forward to a Gilligan themed version of The Ning Nang Nong by Spike Milligan next...!

Yours in being poetic