Reviews for Deliver Us from Evil: Beyond Mortality
Azolean chapter 4 . 2/18/2013
Yet another fantastic little piece! I am eagerly anticipating the final project. I can definitely understand life being chaotic and muses not cooperating...but do I have to beg, really? lol

Congrats on the publication! I know, I know. A bit late on my part, but I will be getting my hands on a copy soon to make up for it.
Ennui Enigma chapter 4 . 2/5/2013
Nicely written!
I feel like I can understand poor Hopkin's feelings of horror at such an awful crime. You've described his posture, his words, his expressions with enough detail to help the reader 'see' into his soul. Great job!

"the boy felt light and nearly boneless, not protesting." - great description!
SheWhoScrawls chapter 4 . 1/24/2013
Absolutely loving these bonus scenes! Can't wait to see the full version in print, either.

I enjoyed your portrayal of Hopkins in this chapter. Come to think of it, being as young an upstart as he was, he probably was a bit unprepared for some aspects of the job. Evidently Holmes liked him though, since he had "high hopes" for his future in Black Peter. I read somewhere that perhaps this means Hopkins' initials weren't a coincidence.

Oh, Hopkins... At least the crime wasn't committed by a flying creature this time!

I agree with you, I didn't think Gregson OR Hopkins had enough time for an introduction in the original. But I still enjoyed it, all the same.

Can't wait to see your other bonus scenes, as well as the forthcoming installment of part 2!

-SWS
aragonite chapter 4 . 1/21/2013
Excellently written. We care about what everyone is feeling, and they do feel. Gregson's gruff experience balances well with Hopkins' youth and (so far) unquenchable idealism!
Historian1912 chapter 4 . 1/20/2013
Wow, I feel really sorry for Gregson now. Glad to see you're still among the living, though I'm not sure if college counts as living or just surviving. Hope to see more from you soon.

God bless,

Historian1912

P.S. Check your email. I sent you something I really need you to look at.
Azolean chapter 3 . 10/1/2012
I absolutely loved the exchange between Watson and Moran. That was fantastic! And, as I recall some of your earlier concern regarding Watson's portrayal in your stories...yeah, you've got nothing to worry about there. His character is one you've clearly mastered.

And Lestrade! I can't begin to tell you how much I love the picture you paint around Lestrade and the other Yarders. That poor man seemed pulled in every direction. So, yes, that part MUST stay. Some may consider it unnecessary, but I think those little tidbits and scenes help build a picture of a character that is incredibly detailed.

The exchange between Watson and Hayter is perfect.

As to the last part...yep, still absolutely love it! Still makes me want to click frantically to the next chapter. lol
Azolean chapter 2 . 10/1/2012
lol "John Watson considered the possibility that he was masochistic." You mean living with Sherlock Holmes wasn't his proof of that? Sorry, but I absolutely loved that line. Just had to point that out.

This was an absolutely wonderful scene. I so can't wait to see how and where you incorporate it into the body of the book.
Azolean chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
I would say I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get around to reading these, but I would be lying. Now I have the excuse I need to go back and read that awesome story all over again! lol

This was awesome. And I would dearly love to see it incorporated into the final draft of the book some day. I think it does need to be there. But, I can also see where the transitional difficulties are in all of that.

Thank you again for such an awesome piece of work.
Ennui Enigma chapter 3 . 9/30/2012
The unspoken subtext, the looks and insinuations b/t Moran and Watson are priceless! I love the line by Moran that goes, "It is an art, lad. All hunting is art in its most primal aspect." I think it sums up his passion and purpose in life - hunting. It doesn't matter if it's a tiger or a man. The bigger the challenge the greater it captures his attention.
The scene b/t Lestrade and Bradstreet gives more insight into Lestrade's concern about Watson and Holmes.
The ending with Holmes expressing his soul through his violin was touching and moving. Well written!
aragonite chapter 3 . 9/29/2012
Oh. Goodness. I'm...I'm speechless.
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 2 . 9/22/2012
"John Watson considered the possibility that he was masochistic." You know, I never really thought about it like that. But that's kind of an amusing observation. I suppose London's climate wouldn't be ideal for a man like Watson. Nice thinking! The way that the old wounds pop up throughout the chapter was quite excellent. I don't know why, but I think it just really added to the whole flavor of the scene, especially in a place such as Tankerville.

I think that this went especially well because of all the time you took to add such delicious description. Sharon was certainly a pleasing character throughout. Very nicely done!

Overall, the extended Tankerville scene certainly didn't disappoint! I'm quite impressed with what you've done here and it'll really add to the chapter in question once you work it in there. As always, if I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask! Keep up the excellent work!

Cheers!
Ranger-Nova chapter 2 . 9/20/2012
I really liked this scene, especially the ending, and there were some lovely descriptions throughout that really enhanced it and made me feel like I was there.

Don't worry about taking awhile to reply, hon - I still haven't reviewed the epilogue of DUE (something I shall rectify very soon), so I'd say we're even. ;) I'm glad you liked the present, and I hope you had a great birthday. *hugs* Good luck with college.
Ennui Enigma chapter 2 . 9/16/2012
A very nicely written chapter! I loved the descriptions of the Tankerville Club and can very much imagine John feeling a bit uncomfortable in such opulence.
This chapter came at the perfect time too - I just finished reading the Reigate Puzzle!
Nice introduction to Sebastian Moran.

Oh, and the beginning, with John wondering if he was masochistic b/c he lived in London, was classic! Made me laugh actually :-)

Thanks for sharing once again!
aragonite chapter 2 . 9/15/2012
YAY!
Almost hit overload there...very rich and finely detailed, and I loved every moment of it!
Ranger-Nova chapter 1 . 8/30/2012
Oooh, I like this very much. I look forward to seeing more of these extra scenes. Good job, hon. :)

God bless,