Reviews for Arms and the Girl
Jillian A.K chapter 3 . 11/13/2012
I enjoyed this. I liked the persective Joan brought to the council of heroes and her discourse to Grace at the end. But I don't really understand Grace's objection. To me, it feels like she's trying to ban a book. I think it's ok to say you don't like a book, but to have it pulled from the class reading list? And just because you don't like a thing doesn't mean you should be excused from studying it. Otherwise, how many people would take Algebra? In an English class, you are bound to run into a book you don't like, sooner or later. But if Grace really doesn't want to read the Iliad, maybe she could ask for an alternate assignment.
SANDEFUR chapter 3 . 9/25/2012
Fascinating conclusion with Joan now seeing all sorts of concepts about how to view The Iliad. Historically there probably was a Trojan War (archaeology supports that), but how much did Homer make up? We will never know, and probably Homer didn't know either as he no doubt built his tale on an oral history passed down through many generations. I'm really liking your Joan-in-a-book stories.
SANDEFUR.
SANDEFUR chapter 2 . 9/9/2012
This is an interesting introduction to a society so removed from our own, they might as well be aliens from another world. Motivation and actions are so difficult to understand, it is difficult to say if any of the 'heroes' would be viewed favorably today. Assuming Joan waking up now will allow her to familiarize herself with more of the Iliad, and maybe explain a time jump when she goes back. Wondering what lesson Joan is to learn from this experience. An enjoyable read.
SANDEFUR.
SANDEFUR chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
The Iliad, a fascinating choice and from the clues in the first chapter, I'm assuming we are skipping the ten years the Greeks spent outside the walls of Troy. I see Joan is using a time/culture appropriate name. Is she also dressed in the fashion of the day? So does Joan get to see and/or ride in the Trojan horse? Get to meet the famed Helen (and does she have a face that can launch a thousand ships, or was that just a political excuse for the war?). Looking forward to which way you take this story.