Reviews for The Twine Bracelet
Bianca di' Angelo1 chapter 1 . 7/13
This is soooo sad. Stars...
You plagiarized this from Lady Altair’s ‘Red Ink Remains’.
Fumbls chapter 1 . 2/1
whos been cutting onions in here *sniff
Moon Witch '96 chapter 1 . 6/18/2017
I knew where this was going as soon as I saw Colin. But damn did this not punch me in the heart as I read it anyway. Bitter-sweet, a faint look at how separate the muggle and a magical world was and how even teenagers can understand that something was going to end by Colin's gesture to give her the camera. I loved it, even if I would think the death of Colin would be told to the neighborhood at large, if not how, but to explain his absence. Shame that the girl never took the courage to ask after Colin instead of waiting for him, but I suppose that would have ruined the intent of the story.

Kudos,

Moon Witch '96
TremblingPhoenix chapter 1 . 5/25/2017
why why would you want what was left of my heart take it already you (amazing author) horrible human
VibrantVenus chapter 1 . 5/16/2017
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
ProphecyBitch chapter 1 . 4/21/2017
Such a refreshing & unexpected story. I loved this so much.
batch of books chapter 1 . 3/30/2017
that moment when autocorrect decides to be your best friend in the middle of a review: perfect, not prefect. thanks!
batch of books chapter 1 . 3/30/2017
Beautifuly written, the tense work is perfect, and the ending ... just ... yes. YES. 100% , with the correct amount of words. Prefect .
TheUnholySmirk chapter 1 . 3/19/2017
NOT THE FEELS! NOOOOOO!
AwesomeWork chapter 1 . 3/8/2017
It is a really well-written piece of work...
flo chapter 1 . 3/7/2017
Great. I was calm reading throughout, but the last line was like a bludger to the chest.
AyumiUK chapter 1 . 3/5/2017
I have no idea why I still click on stories with the tag tragedy despite disliking tragedies. But then...
Fics like this one. Oh gods. Fics like this one.
That's why.
Each word is measured, and carefully woven like ribbons and twine in the bracelet that resisted time.
Luolang chapter 1 . 2/8/2017
A very powerful piece for the low word count, managing to convey more emotion in under 700 words where many stories struggle to do the same with 70,000. Very nice.

If anything, the low word count really helps this story, as I can tell that just about every sentence was chosen very carefully here, and without the space to go into long introspections or narrative meditations, the sort has to show its meaning all the more clearly in the limited word space. And you manage to do that quite well.

Good choice also to use present tense here—it adds to the tone and atmosphere of the work. I also like that the girl is unnamed here, which seems fitting for this piece.

Colin here in particular seems like a logical outgrowth of the character we saw prominently in Chamber of Secrets: he's got that same enthusiasm, energy, and optimism we saw him have since his first appearance in the series, but he's more mature here and his character traits shine through from what we see of him. We can see him stumble and fumble a bit here, as teenage romances are wont to do, but he's definitely the Gryffindor here, making the first move to kiss the girl, and being as earnest as always.

And of course, for all the fluff and the sweetness that comes with a first love, there's the lurking tragedy to which the reader is aware and the girl is not. The dramatic irony there is utilized well, contrasting the girl's disappointment from the reader's realization in their minds.

More than just a commentary on the tragedy surrounding the conflict within Harry Potter proper, the girl's reflections in the ending portions of the work really spoke to me, and I think speak to a lot of people in general. There are opportunities and relationships in our lives that pass us by, things that one way or another, slip away from us or that we let go.

And every so often, we get a reminder of it and there's that spark of regret, the "what might have been." That line "She knows she is getting old because she remembers the picture differently, as if they had once been holding hands" is just about perfect for conveying that. As such, I found the ending porition to be very true to life in that way, and it was pulled off quite well in such a short space.

And the ending sentence excellently caps it off, ending with the twine bracelet and camera which started this all off, and framing the tragedy for what it is. More than just Colin's death, it's the lost opportunity that really sells the impact of the story here.

All in all, an excellent piece.
Phoenix chapter 1 . 2/6/2017