Reviews for Reflections on a Peacemaker
BrinkPinkZinnia chapter 2 . 8/31
It's weird whenever you remember that Trigun is a Space Western set in our far future. Ah, to have watched Star Trek, and then wake up on the planet of Gunsmoke. Or even back then, standing back on the polluted, dying earth, thinking about the futuristic utopias dreamt up in the past.

Doc is doctor not a miracle worker, but he's trying!
BrinkPinkZinnia chapter 1 . 8/31
I used to live next to a family that spent half their summer up in Bear Country, so their kids have been handling hunting rifles since they were well, kids. You can't send kids to frolic in the fields where here there might be maneaters unless they have a gun and know how to use it. Tragedy is what sometimes happen in these parts, North in Canada or South in US, when kids who have been sheltered by their parents and don't know the danger about REAL guns have access to real guns in the house of the kids who had been brought up with guns, the kids who know about gun safety but is too young to consider that other kids their age might not know it.

And little kids try to eat everything, Vash and Knives are one year old at this point, they might be intelligent enough to speak, but they are just plain inexperienced and super curious. Damn Steve! HOW do you leave a gun behind when you get drunk? Shouldn't it have been secured in the holster? Horrid man.
Joshua miller chapter 4 . 2/1/2016
This is a very well written and thought out story staying close to the anime and most likely the manga it help exsplain why he has his gun and why he dose not always use but never kills
jaimi-or-jaemi chapter 4 . 3/26/2014
*grins* interesting look into how he developed his talent for using his gun, thanks for writing
JasperK chapter 4 . 5/9/2013
An interesting reflection, and a pertinent one.

Thank you for writing this.
JK
D-Watson chapter 4 . 10/29/2012
Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this transcendental gunfight. I get that it's supposed to be a manifestation of Vash's internal struggle, but something about the execution rubs me the wrong way. On a wider note: being as proactive in his pacifism as he is, I guess I just see Vash as someone pragmatic enough (despite his extreme ideals) to naturally not have a beef with any means that might prevent the loss of lives, weapons included. Having Rem show up, in any shape or form, to teach him guns aren't necessarily bad feels to me like downplaying Vash's own ingenuity in reconciling a pacifistic frame of mind with the reality of living in a world where everyone seems to have an itchy trigger finger.

But that's just my two cents, so don't take it as a criticism of the story itself. It's more like a divergence in character interpretation :). As for the story feeling like a rough draft, I think you're just being hard on yourself. The language here isn't as poetic as it is in some of your other stories, but this /is/ written in first person and I wouldn't expect Vash to wax poetic in every single line. It's a straightforward account of a decision-making process, and, as such, works just fine.
D-Watson chapter 3 . 10/29/2012
Wow, Vash, shooting a target through the heart on your first try counts as sucky aiming? You really ought to give yourself a break, man.

(Also, I love how he learns to spin his gun just because.)

Not sure how I feel about Rem's appearance, I'll reserve judgment until I see how that plays out. And I really must apologize for not reviewing this sooner. There's no excuse, really. I sadly have the attention span of a fly ;_;
D-Watson chapter 2 . 8/29/2012
Oh my god, Doc is McCoy! :D

I always did wonder why Vash didn't just get rid of the guns, back when both of them were in his possession. I really like your tendency to dig into these gray areas of the canon. Doc's speculation about Knives already training for his mission, too - the anime never did deign to explain how he came to be Vash's equal when it comes to sharpshooting. Or why Knives would /need/ to be that good of a shot in the first place, since he clearly did not intend to take out the human population one at a time using puny bullets for the job.

In any case, I like where this is going.
D-Watson chapter 1 . 8/27/2012
Figures that Vash would think every new random object he bumps into is a food dispenser. I don't think Rem slapping him was out of character. It's a very parent-y thing to do in a situation like that. As for Steve, I love that you left his intentions open to interpretation. The guy is a scumbag, but he's not necessarily quite evil and/or creative enough to leave a loaded gun near two kids in hopes that they'll use it to kill each other. I mean, I suppose that's an option, but I'm glad you left it open. I reckon the next part is going to deal with Vash's trusty revolver of mass destruction? Can't wait.