Reviews for Living to die
The Darkest wizard chapter 9 . 4/6
This is a fantastic story! Can't wait to read the sequel
You clearly put a lot of effort into this story, and it shows. You certainly didn't just roll this out without many hours of work, but the story feels too much like you're shoving a square block into a round hole with the setting. You're trying to make a big story with larger than life characters who are powerful, unique, and incredibly gifted. You want nobles and politics, ancient lineages and skilled blade-masters, big egos and beautiful women, and i can't help but feel you picked the entirely and completely wrong setting for that sort of story. Warhammer 40k, and the Death Korps especially, is really not what i would have recommended.

Firstly, in order to make the basic concept of your character being a noble from an ancient family work, you had to entirely re-write to concept of Kreig the point it become unrecognizable. The Kreigers don't have nobles, they don't have families, the don't have ancient heirlooms, they don't angst, they don't love, they don't have civilians, they don't have anything at all of the sort of story you wanted to build. A Kreiger is a faceless, mass-produced warrior with a heart and soul of cold steel. He feels no pain, no remorse, no love or affection, he has no family but the Korps, no father but the Emperor, takes no lovers but the sweet embrace of death and redemption. He feels no emotions but boundless hate for all the foes of mankind. He is more automaton than man. He is a symbol that humanity, in our struggle to survive the harsh world of the 41st millennium, has had to give up everything that really made us human. A Kreiger is not the character you wanted, and the story feels hamfisted and entirely ill-fitting in such a setting.

More than the Kreigers, Warhammer 40k is not the setting you wanted. Your story feels, as i have seen other comment, more suited to an anime or other more light-hearted series. The Grim Darkness, tragic struggle, black humor, and deep cynicism of the universe clash horribly with the more light hearted and, in contrast, almost cartoonish aspects of the story. Furthermore 40k is a universe that thrives on the depth, internal consistency, and sheer volume of it's lore. Working in a setting such as this is as much a work of research as it is of creative effort, and while you don't lack on the latter, I feel a distinct disdain of the former. Lore inconsistencies run rampant, especially in the first chapter where every description of Kreig, or the life on Kreig, flies in the face of every piece of established and published background. Established characters like Jain Zar are thrown about and killed by original characters, despite being some of the most powerful and world shaking entities in the entire universe. These are characters whose actions shape the fate of the entire galaxy, yet they are tossed out like cheap antagonists to serve as a thrilling and exciting fight and prove the strength of the original characters, without understanding or care of how such a thing shakes up the established universe.

As I've said, you've clearly put effort into this, more so than many have the time, effort, or creative will to dare and for that I commend you, but in my opinion this story shows a great deal of work is required. It comes off as ill-conceived and poorly considered. A work to build on, something to learn from, but i simply cant recommend it.
Lord Mortem chapter 9 . 8/30/2016
great story!
That0neGuy7 chapter 2 . 6/12/2016
i just wanna move on to the next chapter but by god this damn-well written story.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/12/2016
i just read one chapter and Holy God Emperor that felt like many awesome story
acelenny chapter 9 . 4/11/2016
Fantastic story, give me more, in the Emperor's name!
SomeGuyOverHere chapter 9 . 1/7/2016
Let me just say that this was a very, very well written story.
Everything in here feels like Warhammer 40k, you definitely nailed the feeling of the world.
The characters were both interesting and well developed, for a while I was afraid you'd made too many to keep track of like some authors do but by the end I knew each and every one of them.
The story is well paced and fun to read. I felt like I was reading one of those historical war novels about WWII.
All in all a really great story and I can't wait to read what comes next.
SomeGuyOverHere chapter 5 . 1/7/2016
Great war scenes, very well written.
Also, Colonel Stanton and Commissar Osei are still probably my favorite characters. That part about the Colonel's brain was pretty hilarious.
SomeGuyOverHere chapter 3 . 1/7/2016
I really like the Colonel and Osei's dynamic.
Also, I will admit that I was a little afraid you were going to make Eric one of those Imperial citizens who actually isn't prejudice against mutants, glad to see he's relatively regular on that part, not a lot of authors allow their main characters to have that trait.
SomeGuyOverHere chapter 1 . 1/7/2016
The Baron Von Shreider is a badass
Guest chapter 9 . 7/11/2015
Next update have the eldar elrich beat down talk with farseer and her paths leader about elrich
Guest chapter 4 . 5/3/2015
frak it now theres a deamon on board and I she ether wants 0817 or gina maybe both
John Spangler chapter 1 . 12/4/2014
Hi, I just wanted to say that I've read your story and I've loved it. It's a perfect depiction of the 40k world. Keep it up! I look forward to read the other stories of the series.
GuntherRiechwald chapter 9 . 11/29/2014
NOOOO! Well at least a new one is coming. Can't wait!
Thuzan117 chapter 9 . 11/27/2014
an excellent chapter as always. am i to understand from the comment at the end that this story is now over and "dying to live" will be the continuation? I think you did a fantastic job with erich and most of the characters and eagerly await more, hopefully we won't have to wait long.