Reviews for Surfacing
JQ chapter 18 . 5/28/2013
All's well that ends well! g Poor, poor Crane but of course Daniel wouldn't let him suffer through that alone. After all the times Crane's been there for him, I wouldn't have expected anything less of him!
JQ chapter 17 . 5/28/2013
I see I was completely wrong about Daniel being not pleased with the big payoff. LOL You do know how to surprise your readers, at least this one!
JQ chapter 16 . 5/28/2013
Well, you certainly wouldn't have seen a scene like *that* in the show! Though it really does make sense; I can understand your reasoning, etc. Aside from whatever Adam said to him, I don't think Daniel is going to react well to this money being used on his hospital bill so I see lots more turmoil in their future.
JQ chapter 15 . 5/27/2013
I have to say that Daniel is a lot more forgiving than I would be! First Steve, and now this Johnny character! Though I guess if he'd had him arrested it would only have caused more problems for him down the line somewhere, so maybe that was good thinking after all, LOL.
JQ chapter 14 . 5/26/2013
I absolutely did not see *that* coming - Daniel & Steve becoming friends! Way to turn things around, very interesting twist. Also was not expecting a Guthrie meltdown. Guess like the rest of his family I was just figuring he was taking everything in stride.
JQ chapter 13 . 5/25/2013
Nice scene with Adam telling Daniel, and Crane, about what happened after their parents died; poor Adam! But it seems to have served its purpose so that's a good thing. I would tend to agree with you on A's being 18 at the time of the tragedy; otherwise, I figure they'd have probably carted him off to foster care himself, especially back in those days. I can't see them letting him take on the responsibility of 6 siblings at 17 years, and it would be a strain to do it even at 18.
JQ chapter 10 . 5/24/2013
OK, I have to leave another review for this chapter, after thinking about it some more. LOL I don't know if it was a conscious decision to do this or not, but I like how you've reminded us that even though Daniel is a younger brother to Adam, Brian, and Crane, he is also an older brother to Evan, Ford, and Guthrie and be just as fiercely protective of his younger brothers as his older brothers are of him. Daniel didn't even hesitate to rush to Ford's defense, despite the very real danger to himself, which is worthy of a great big awww in my book.
JQ chapter 10 . 5/23/2013
Well, there I was thinking this was going to be a sorta happy little chapter, D getting better, helping out around the ranch a bit, making progress, going back to school...and then wham! You took him/them right back down to the depths again! I like how you've made Ford the calm, confident assistant caregiver here - I can see him being that way, calm and quiet for the most part but probably made of steel deep down inside. And oh Evan, always a spitfire!
JQ chapter 9 . 5/22/2013
And the angst continues... Seems everywhere the poor kid turns there's another challenge, though that makes perfect sense. It's good that you're dealing with all of this so realistically - no magical healing in a few days. It definitely would take quite a while to recover from something like this and there would be setbacks along the way. It will be interesting to see how going back to school goes, especially since I don't think his big brothers can go along with him!
JQ chapter 8 . 5/22/2013
Home at last! Great attention to detail with all the things he'd have to deal with when going home. Glad to see that Crane got over being mad at Adam relatively quickly. It's nice how you balance out the seriousness of scenes with some more lighthearted ones as well, for example Daniel falling asleep on Evan, etc. LOL
JQ chapter 7 . 5/21/2013
Awww, so much going on in this chapter, lots of angst for everyone! Nice reunion between Daniel and Ford, and then some nice juxtaposition between Brian comforting Daniel and Adam doing the same for Ford. I have a feeling Adam is in for some harsh words, or more, from Crane though! Just when you think Daniel is on the mend and possibly on his way home, you just HAD to throw something else at the poor kid!
Decadebaby chapter 18 . 5/19/2013
Wow! I read this whole story straight through. It was really, really good.
sknkodiak chapter 18 . 4/8/2013
What an amazing story. beautifully done and researched, and has someone who has had to recover from traumatic brain injury, I clenched my fingers every time Daniel had to overcome something new. I think you portrayed everyone's feelings and emotional swings so very well, too, right down to Guthrie's desperate attempt to return some normalicy to the family and his resulting meltdown.
sodakey chapter 18 . 4/7/2013
And a nice, fitting conclusion. Congratulations! Very satisfying.

I especially liked the turnaround point for Daniel - that moment of risk, of going out to Crane and no longer being the victim but the rescuer, and consequently pulling his focus outside of himself and his own worries. I thought it was a nice touch, and though perhaps unintended, an excellent mirror to the set up of the story (with the mine cave-in), where he went from being a victim who was shouldering a lot of blame to being the rescuer. I liked the consistency of character portrayal there - his decision not to dwell on the mistake, or the past, but to take action, and that decision making all the difference. It was especially nice to see that character portrayal drawn out of two circumstances where no one would have faulted him for not taking action. Great story continuity and development, and a nice way to close the circle.

On a writing note, I liked the clever imagery of Crane's progressive analogies as to what may or may not have been actively living in his stomach. ;) Once again, nice job.
sodakey chapter 17 . 4/7/2013
Finally, the pulling together of all those threads that have been running under the surface since the beginning. Nicely executed culmination of events.
- I like how you portrayed Adam's frame of mind and the build up to the eventual confrontation, both the discomfort of accepting help from Tom, and then finding evidence that might make him feel like he'd been shut out from his brother's progress and activities (the music, the car), contributing to his fractiousness.
- Crane was due a breakdown, and I like how you did it, with him kind of wondering at his own behavior with Adam.
- Adam and Daniel were both due some perspective with each other, and I kinda like how you had Adam turn Daniel's perspective around on him - the don't assume the worst of me, because I'm not assuming the worst of you. Well done. Good father/son dynamic there.
- Glad they finally got Daniel to hear the full truth about the mine. :)
- And finally, I'm glad you had Crane choose not to drive, even if he wasn't wasted. :)