Reviews for Surfacing
jcrom chapter 8 . 9/3
Boy you really did your homework with all the medical stuff. Impressive. I saw in your authors notes that you had some help. You could have made up a bunched of gibberish and I wouldn't have known any better. That's awesome that you took the time to research it and make it authentic. I loved these last few chapters but I decided to stop reading for the night. My old eyes are blurring now and also i wanted to end my reading on a high note. Daniel is home! Although, clearly there are challenges ahead...I can't wait to read about his progression. I can go to sleep happy now. Oh and I loved the line "I usually get a kiss first". Bahahaha!
jcrom chapter 5 . 8/16
This poor kid. His poor brothers. Poor me. I am heartsick. I can't help but feel everything they feel. You're an artist. A WORD artist. I don't even know how else to describe it. I wouldn't be able to, even if I tried. Lol. I can't even write an eloquent "Thank you" card. Fantastic story and so well written!
jcrom chapter 2 . 8/14
Oh man, this is good! This is the last completed story of yours left for me to read and Daniel is hurt in this one too! I can hardly take it! I am reading more. I have to. I won't be able to sleep!
MaryCS chapter 18 . 7/18
LOVED this story! I read it awhile ago, but was glad to rediscover it! You did an amazing job with the characters - including everything from their respective faults and devotion. I really appreciate you sharing your talent.
rainefan chapter 18 . 6/30/2014
I thought of reviewing after every chapter, but got so engrossed in the story that just never happened. From beginning to end, this was not only wonderful but wonderfully written. The characters were all fully developed and true to my memories from 30 years ago. (Man, I feel old.) I've always remembered this episode with a regret that we never got a resolution to Daniel's situation - and here you have provided one. From his physical health to his mental state, I remember feeling that there were a lot of holes. And you have filled in all the gaps. Thank you so very much!
JQ chapter 18 . 5/28/2013
All's well that ends well! g Poor, poor Crane but of course Daniel wouldn't let him suffer through that alone. After all the times Crane's been there for him, I wouldn't have expected anything less of him!
JQ chapter 17 . 5/28/2013
I see I was completely wrong about Daniel being not pleased with the big payoff. LOL You do know how to surprise your readers, at least this one!
JQ chapter 16 . 5/28/2013
Well, you certainly wouldn't have seen a scene like *that* in the show! Though it really does make sense; I can understand your reasoning, etc. Aside from whatever Adam said to him, I don't think Daniel is going to react well to this money being used on his hospital bill so I see lots more turmoil in their future.
JQ chapter 15 . 5/27/2013
I have to say that Daniel is a lot more forgiving than I would be! First Steve, and now this Johnny character! Though I guess if he'd had him arrested it would only have caused more problems for him down the line somewhere, so maybe that was good thinking after all, LOL.
JQ chapter 14 . 5/26/2013
I absolutely did not see *that* coming - Daniel & Steve becoming friends! Way to turn things around, very interesting twist. Also was not expecting a Guthrie meltdown. Guess like the rest of his family I was just figuring he was taking everything in stride.
JQ chapter 13 . 5/25/2013
Nice scene with Adam telling Daniel, and Crane, about what happened after their parents died; poor Adam! But it seems to have served its purpose so that's a good thing. I would tend to agree with you on A's being 18 at the time of the tragedy; otherwise, I figure they'd have probably carted him off to foster care himself, especially back in those days. I can't see them letting him take on the responsibility of 6 siblings at 17 years, and it would be a strain to do it even at 18.
JQ chapter 10 . 5/24/2013
OK, I have to leave another review for this chapter, after thinking about it some more. LOL I don't know if it was a conscious decision to do this or not, but I like how you've reminded us that even though Daniel is a younger brother to Adam, Brian, and Crane, he is also an older brother to Evan, Ford, and Guthrie and be just as fiercely protective of his younger brothers as his older brothers are of him. Daniel didn't even hesitate to rush to Ford's defense, despite the very real danger to himself, which is worthy of a great big awww in my book.
JQ chapter 10 . 5/23/2013
Well, there I was thinking this was going to be a sorta happy little chapter, D getting better, helping out around the ranch a bit, making progress, going back to school...and then wham! You took him/them right back down to the depths again! I like how you've made Ford the calm, confident assistant caregiver here - I can see him being that way, calm and quiet for the most part but probably made of steel deep down inside. And oh Evan, always a spitfire!
JQ chapter 9 . 5/22/2013
And the angst continues... Seems everywhere the poor kid turns there's another challenge, though that makes perfect sense. It's good that you're dealing with all of this so realistically - no magical healing in a few days. It definitely would take quite a while to recover from something like this and there would be setbacks along the way. It will be interesting to see how going back to school goes, especially since I don't think his big brothers can go along with him!
JQ chapter 8 . 5/22/2013
Home at last! Great attention to detail with all the things he'd have to deal with when going home. Glad to see that Crane got over being mad at Adam relatively quickly. It's nice how you balance out the seriousness of scenes with some more lighthearted ones as well, for example Daniel falling asleep on Evan, etc. LOL