Reviews for And A Doctor
Henry Vyne chapter 2 . 9/15
! This chapter did not disappoint!

Honestly, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is too good for a review. I will come back later and give a detailed review, but screw it it's late (or early) and I just want to keep reading, so for now this one will have to suffice.
Henry Vyne chapter 1 . 9/15
I can't even begin to express my love for this chapter.

I feel John is a sadly underrated character, both in the show and fandom, and stories like this give me life. Seriously, I'm so excited to keep going, I almost didn't stop to leave a review just so I could get onto the next chapter.

Not only is the subject matter of this amazing, your writing is absolutely superb! You have just the right amount of dialogue and narrative, and you switch between the two perfectly. I'm no medical expert, but everything John said about Greg's indisposition sounded very doctory and authentic, so great job on that!

I absolutely -love- John dropping the mobile. At first I thought his arm was acting up, but you definitely surprised me! John really is a lot more clever than people give him credit for, and I'm so happy that you managed to tap into that aspect of him so well. Truly, he's an amazing friend, not only to Sherlock, and I love that this chapter focused on that, as well as not only his attentive medical attention, but his attention as a friend, too. So on point!

I love the distinction you draw between doctor and soldier, and truly, it's not something I had given a lot of thought before. It makes me so happy that their are still new aspects to the show and characters that I'm still discovering, so thank you for helping me along with that! While fluff stories certainly have their appeal, I really love ones just like this one - ones that really base themselves in canon and draw more attention to little things that are easily missed, things that while small and seemingly insignificant, actually hold a lot of value.

A lot of people seem to kind of sweep John under the rug while praising or focusing all their attention on Sherlock, and even while this is a very John-centric chapter (which I love), you still gave Sherlock credit and thought (which I also love), while keeping the main focus on John. Very well done! It's not only about John (amazing), but still... considerate, I guess, of the other characters, you know?

I love how it starts at the very beginning - just talking about John. It was small and to the point, but not rushed. You spent the perfect amount of time on it. And then you just go right into the scene with Lestrade, which I loved every bit of. Also, the beginning of that part. "Lestrade wasn't a leaner." Again, a little thing that I overlooked so easily, but actually holds a lot of value and speaks volumes for the character! Super cool, dude!

The interactions and dialogue were spot-on - I loved every bit of them, especially John recording Sherlock's mutterings for late research.

Also, the chapter was blissfully long! Thank you! Long chapters are the amazing, and paired with writing with quality such as yours, it's absolutely wonderful.

"Every profession does something that shocks someones who's not in it."

I really like that line, and the whole conversation around it, but that line especially caught my eye. :]

I feel like I haven't said enough about how perfect this chapter is, but anything else would just be me repeating myself and breaking the dam which holds back all of my adoration and respect for John, so I think I'll just end this here.

Wait, no! I love John's joke about how Lestrade will have to make it up to Anderson and Donavon for leaving them with Sherlock - another clever part. And how John respected Lestrade's privacy by not answering Sherlock's question without a moment's hesitancy. Super, super cool. And pretty much all of Lestrade's musings on John, specifically his similarities to Sherlock, and of course, that last line.

Absolutely amazing job! I can't wait for the rest of the chapters!
Toothtooth chapter 6 . 8/27
Ok I love this chapter too. I love how much passion and feeling you out into writing and the characterisation of John and Sherlockmare the best. I'll come and look for this again and again because it's fantastic.
Toothtooth chapter 5 . 8/27
This is my favourite chapter by far because it's so sweet and I can't even say how much I love it
Toothtooth chapter 4 . 8/27
Oh my gosh I made a squeaking noise at the end because this is so sweet all the way through. I love your interactions between Sherlock and John
Toothtooth chapter 2 . 8/27
I know I'm gonna love all your chapters but I love how you write John so much. In addition to the fact that no one really covers doctor John like you do
Toothtooth chapter 1 . 8/27
Woah I love this, I like the relationship here with John and Greg, and John's method is the best.
I absolutely adore this series - you did a fabulous job exploring both John and Sherlock through the lens of medicine. John must have been terrified when he realized why he was in shock, and I'm glad Sherlock knows John well enough to realize when he needs help. And I can argue that John doesn't do anything by halves either - he stayed for three weeks in the hospital, got an infection, and had to be re-intubated twice...yikes. Fantastic piece of writing! I genuinely enjoyed it! :)
Amazing chapter! I think that as a doctor, seeing and having a friend as a patient is one of the worst possible scenarios that can occur. John's quick thinking is wonderful and I loved the scene where he and Sherlock are having two simultaneous conversations in the hospital. I also love the way you've developed their relationship throughout the course of the story - from friendship to admiration to gratitude. Love the story so far! You are a fantastic writer! :)
I loved this chapter, especially because you did a fantastic job with the medical terminology (do you have a background in medicine? Sorry if you already mentioned that you do and I missed it...)! I still am amazed at the fact that John would see an elderly woman presenting with sudden decline and bruising and think warfarin immediately - I really hope I'll be able to do that at some point. And Sherlock should regard John with admiration. He deserves it, and he's just as much a genius as Sherlock. The scrapbook of John's is a lovely idea, by the way. :)
Ah, this was such a bittersweet chapter - I hurt for Mrs. Turner and Danny but at the end, I realized that Danny found solace in finally being able to let go and Mrs. Turner recognized that as well. John's empathy and caring nature really pronounced itself here and I'm glad Sherlock realized what a gem of a friend he has at the end. Spectacular work with the chapter! :)
You've captured the sheer brilliance of Watson in this chapter - carbon monoxide poisoning is lethal and hard to detect, especially over the phone, and Watson was able to do that. Although Sherlock is the more obvious genius of the two, I actually think John's genius is more encompassing. Amazing chapter as always! :)
Oh my goodness, this story is fantastic! I adore John - he's an amazing person and a fabulous doctor! I loved his subterfuge with the phone; like Lestrade said, John has really learned from Sherlock. :) Awesome chapter, and I'm looking forward to the next chapters!
145796213 chapter 6 . 6/27
The interactions and the detail were amazing, and I was pleasantly surprised by your portrayal of Donovan. :)
Ernil i Pheriannath chapter 5 . 6/22
I love this story so much, I already read it over on ao3 and then discovered it here again so I had to review again. This chapter is my favourite but I love them all to be honest. Thanks so much for writing something so wonderful!