Reviews for Mind the gap
Guest chapter 15 . 9/27/2019
Huh. I like it, it's the kind of story I like, short, without pretension, it doesn't have any big goalg, it's a simple, light story.
A tad too angsty for my liking at times tho, but it's just me.
jgkitarel chapter 15 . 5/27/2018
I liked this fic, and it's my second time reading it. Diamond in the Rough was an awesome deconstruction of the Gappy-stu fic, and this manages to reconstruct it quite well. You have a normal person, one who is more than willing to let things go as they will and settle down while those who have the knowledge and power try to find a way to send him back home.

Of course, the plot has other ideas, but this is someone who doesn't DESIRE to be a hero. In the end, he becomes one, and shows his true mettle by not only being humble about it, but also the fact that he gave the credit to Marisa. After all, all he wanted, was to go home.
Galer chapter 15 . 4/28/2018
This demonstrate that good peopel can exist.

And the lavels like Hero are not necesary to be a good person.
randomwriter413 chapter 1 . 12/6/2015
This seems like..an alright gappy fic.

Well done! Most fics involving gappies/totally not self-inserts are...well, you read touhou fics. You probably know what I mean.

The characterization was alright, the chemistry between the couple was rather well and thankfully didn't come off as forced. [Why Aya needs an apprentice is beyond me, though. Eh, it's a small detail.]

The villain was a rather good example of how most gappies see themselves. EG: EYM TE HERO!

All in all, a rather good fic! Can't wait to see the movie version by Spaz!
Guest chapter 13 . 9/16/2014
This... is not very good. Your sense of pacing is way too fast. I don't think I'll bother finishing.
Feng Lengshun chapter 15 . 7/24/2013
What a nice story. I came here from the recommendations in DeviantART, and I was not disappointed by the story.

In terms of writing techniques though, it's a bit too confusing and hard to read, and the ending was a little confusing too but regardless, it was still a good story. In fact, it was amazing that it was able to offset the flaws. I would like to see this as walfas in any case.
Calamity2007 chapter 1 . 5/20/2013
I just read Mind the Gap, upon request from one of Spaztique's livestreams, and I have to say I really did enjoy this fic and can see why this is recommended. I really liked the character Isaac and though he was believably portrayed in the fic as well as the other characters. That tengu OC was also pretty cool and I do like how Reimu did poke fun at how, later in the fic, a certain plot twist made it seem like a bad fanfiction. And yes, even though the chapters were short, I thought this story was nicely condensed and easy to read. It's going to be interesting to see how this contrasts to Diamond in the Rough, which I haven't seen the full movie yet, and I can't wait to see this be adapted into a Walfas movie.
PMiller1 chapter 15 . 4/8/2013
This is just wow.

The very idea that someone who maybe gaped fighting off a Gappy sue who think he the Good guy!

And nice Cameo for Mima in Ch 12.
Omegahugger chapter 15 . 3/7/2013
My initial reaction: I think that was one of the best endings I've ever read.

Now, on to business: Sturmy asked me to review this little tale of yours (several ages ago). It had something to do with "writing an actually good Gappy Stu fic without knowing anything about Touhou". However, and I don't know if Sturm realises it, but I have an irrational hatred of those fics. So, when reading this review, keep in mind that I usually wouldn't touch this genre with a 10-foot pole.

Thankfully, I feel confident in my ability to ignore unfounded feelings of stupid dismay, so here I go!

First of all, there's Isaac. I don't know much about normal Gappy's, but I liked this one. He was perfectly fine with merely settling down and/or returning home. Of course, the theory of narrative causality (which our little villain certainly believes in) dictates that he becomes embroiled in the plot nonetheless, but at least he tried. On the bad side: Well, I've never liked sudden powers at the end. However, they seem common amongst gappies, so I guess it falls under " unfounded feelings of stupid dismay". Also, engineers seem rare. C:

Next up to bat is Syrena, our love interest. She's a good character. She and Isaac have good chemistry, which in my own opinion is the most important thing for any pairing of any kind. I would complain about Aya suddenly having an apprentice, but since it quickly brought her and Isaac together and established her inquisitive nature while staying within possible canon bounds, the good outweigh the bad here.

Last one on the character front is our bad guy, Graham. really like him, although I do also have a soft spot for villains who think they're heroes Unfortunately, he is kinda stupid. Really, a guy like him ought to know that the Main Villain is never the one to lie broken on the ground yet coming back up again, nor does a hero ever kidnap the girlfriend... But then again, he is the actual villain. Therefore, a few delusions are fine, nay, expected!

On the canon side of things, you've got things pretty well down. There were actually several times were I was going "Aha, I can complain about this!", but then you always went ahead and proved me wrong. In the end, the only "wrong" thing I could remember was gappies being common, and even that is mainly based on my own interpretation of canon. So you definitely get a gold star for that.

Now, on to the writing: Well, it is good. Not great, but not bad either. Chapters are a little short for my tastes, but I feel that way about my own works as well, so there.

All in all, I'd say that you succeeded in your little goal But don't let this be the end! You have proven to be capable, now you must write on and show us more greatness! And try playing some Touhou games! They aren't as hard as people say, as long as you are willing to shallow some pride and use continues. C:

P.S. 1 more totally irrelevant thing: Isaac, you better find a way to enhance your lifespan! No leaving a heartbroken Syrena behind in a few years!
ChopSuzi chapter 3 . 12/15/2012
Lol, I need to watch Touhou Project...
ChopSuzi chapter 2 . 12/15/2012
Heh, that's pretty wicked...
ChopSuzi chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
Wow, Sparky. You're getting better. Do you edit your own work, or do you have an editor?
RandomNumbers523156 chapter 15 . 10/28/2012
That was a nice fic, Spaztique recommended this fic and I was glad to read it. While I understand this is the script for the Walfas video, it was like watching it in the fast forward (like DBZKai Abridged, but that's the point, hehe), there are some typos, the separation of paragraphs could be better (everytime that the one talking changes, you can separate the paragraph), but yet you managed to make Issac a sympathetic character, having him an OC as love interest was pretty fitting, and Graham hamming up the scene while jabbing at meta-concepts was amusing. Though, I didn't think it was a reconstruction of 'gappy stu' (I asked if he knew of any reconstructions of gappy stu, and he told me this fic and that he's preparing a reconstruction of DitR), it has reconstructive elements, but it does seem more like John Carter of Mars, playing its tropes straight. The twist in the ending was very good, good work and the walfas promises!
RandomNumbers523156 chapter 11 . 10/28/2012
Zombie Reimu?
Dead Turtle chapter 6 . 9/5/2012
Well, this is getting interesting. Looking forward for more.