Reviews for More Than Meets the Eye
sandycub chapter 5 . 6/17/2013
So glad that you referred this story! This was just amazing! Bobby was so great with the boys and was so good at taking care of them, especially sick little Sammy! Love Bobby being there for the boys, with the boys whether they are big or small!
Woman of Letters chapter 5 . 1/23/2013
That's tellin' him, Ellen!

Card-playing scene at the end was fun.

I love Weechester stories but don't read a lot of 'em. Your use of dialogue and "play" with the boys - the hide and seek games, the Batman and Transformers talk - and Sam finding (and naming) the kitten, the "summer at Bobby's", Sam's illness, John's giving in to the idea that he has to be human some time and be a dad, Ellen and Jo being in the story - all of those made this a fun read for me.
Great story.
Woman of Letters chapter 4 . 1/23/2013
Dean is so grown up here. It's sad how he really never had a childhood, and you show that, beyond what he could get at Bobby's or Pastor Jim's.

My favorite line here: "Dean smiled down at his brother teasingly. 'Dude! You've got cute girls here!'

Sam screwed up his face and reached for the small cup of juice on the tray. 'Ick. Girls got cooties, 'member?' "

Also very bittersweet: "Dean got to work then, cleaning and re-bandaging with the quick efficiency that John himself had taught him. It didn't take more than a few moments, and when they were finished and Dean had thrown away the bloodied bandages, he looked into his father's face. 'Dad, while we're staying here... can we... would it be okay if we... just played catch? And maybe go fishing in the pond? Just you and Sam and me? Can we... can we try and do just regular stuff?' "
Woman of Letters chapter 3 . 1/23/2013
I love how you characterize Bobby and John here - Bobby trying to be the father the boys don't really have, because he's so involved with his hunt for Mary's killer. Also, Ellen's firmness, the way she deals with Dean, shows that you really know the character. I felt like I was watching the show, when he asks her a question she'd rather not answer and she says, "Inside. Now."

So sad, when Sam is crying on the phone for Dean and Dean has to say goodbye.
Woman of Letters chapter 2 . 1/23/2013
Ha! After all the grief Dean gave Sam about the name "Bumblebee," he's using it anyway!

Oh no - Sam is sick! Not good.

You pack a lot of story into your chapters. I like that. So far we've dealt with John's neglect, the boys' need for a normal home, Bumblebee the kitten, and now Sam being sick. All in 2 chapters.
Woman of Letters chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
Cute Sam and Dean playing in the salvage yard. :) So sweet. I enjoy the way you characterize them as kids. Especially how Sam sometimes mispronounces his words.

Loved these lines: "Losing his big brother's respect didn't fall easily on Sam. He slumped beside Bobby on the couch and pouted, his lower lip quivering slightly. 'Fine.' "

Also:

"Dean scoffed and shrugged. 'Don't you have some things you don't tell me?'

Sam shook his head. 'Nuh, uh. I tells you everything!'

There was something in that statement, so honest, so simple, that went into Dean's heart and stuck there. A grin pulled at his lips as he reached out and ruffled Sam's hair. 'You're always going to tell me everything, right, Sammy?' "
mememeems chapter 5 . 9/8/2012
wonderful story! very cute and adorable :) i loved it!
yaya-wr8t3r chapter 5 . 9/1/2012
This was a really sweet story. I loved how you wrote Sam and Dean, giving each one of them their own identity while also showing them together as brothers. I enjoyed reading it :)
dulcinea54 chapter 5 . 9/1/2012
Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing!
rozzy07 chapter 5 . 8/30/2012
This my dear was a wonderful story to absorb and be uplifted by. Your Bobby was nigh perfection as a substitute dad and even John had his ruthless edges softened by the love for his boys. And the boys...wel they were just a delight to read about. A wonderful mix of brotherly moments of love and concern and sheer childhood jiggery that left a glad smile on my face. Loved it from start to finish. Thanks for such a wonderful read.