Reviews for Tonight and the Rest of Our Lives
FebWriter chapter 9 . 9/20/2012
Thank you, Amy!

Chapter 9 was one of my favorites to write in this story. Don't worry: the only man for Holly is Roger, so nothing even remotely like what happened on the show happens with Fletcher in this Springfield. I can't promise Roger and Holly desk sex in the current story, "Storm," but I think there will be a place for it in the story that follows "Storm."

The evolution of Holly and Blake's relationship was one of my favorite things about the show too, and I always felt that Blake was her parents' biggest cheerleader and fan, so of course she would be over the moon about them finally getting together and getting it right, especially because of her own happiness with Ross. (BTW, Ross and Blake will also remain together from here on out in this Springfield. No Rick, DNA test follies with Annie Dutton, etc.) I think on some level, Blake knew and accepted before either Holly or Roger did that they were meant to be together. I love all those moments where Blake talked about her parents that you mentioned. Blake hoping they would outrun the whole world was the one that fit the best here. Blake and Holly will have even more to bond over eventually in the next story after "Storm."

Holly returns to work at WSPR in "Storm." I hope you enjoy that story when you read it. Thanks for reviewing!
Amy chapter 14 . 9/20/2012
The next block of free time I have, I'm starting in on the sequel.

I can't wait for Holly to get back to WSPR, and not just because I hate Fletcher with the heat of a nova. I loved the early Gilly/Holly dynamic, and would love to see if their current relationship gets less prickly once they're working together again.

Nice story; thanks for posting.
Amy chapter 11 . 9/20/2012
Great mother/daughter chapter; the evolution of Holly and Blake's relationship was one of my favorite things about the show. I enjoyed all they had to go through to get there, and now I really enjoy them being in this good place.

I love Blake's remembrance of her comments at the Jessup farm as that is one of my three favorite moments of Blake talking about her parents. The first is when Gilly says watching Holly and Roger at WSPR has convinced her they both still have feelings for each other; Blake's, "You see it too? Thank you! I have been saying that for years" is just adorable. The next is when Blake is talking to Jenna and for once not baiting her, just speaking honestly about her parents. "If he could ever find the words, and if she could ever stop being angry long enough to listen ... who knows?" And then, "I hope they outrun the whole world and get away" made me let out a cheer.

I always adored Blake as a Holly and Roger cheerleader, even long before I was ready for them to get back together. It must have been such a terrible struggle for her, feeling that loving her father meant loving the man who destroyed her mother, so I'm almost as happy for her as I am for them.
Amy chapter 9 . 9/20/2012
I'm glad to finally have some time to fit in more of this story, and there were some great lines in this chapter. Holly grumbling that Fifth Street should have waited a day to burn down was my favorite, right until I got to the sex on the desk fantasy. I hope you're going to make that happen; perhaps that will finally purge the horrible Fletcher memory from my mind.
Cynthia chapter 14 . 9/8/2012
"You're the proof that life is good. You are my life." That's a perfect conclusion! Thanks so much for writing this. I look forward to the next story.
FebWriter chapter 14 . 9/8/2012
Hi, collaborator! :-)

Thanks!

There's a fair amount of Alan and Hope in the next story. I hope you'll enjoy it too, when I start posting it.
Mendys chapter 14 . 9/7/2012
Oh, my gosh! You've started posting it! Hurray!

(This is your collaborator, by the way.)

I can't wait to see the next story and this was absolutely divine, though I knew it was going to be from what I'd already seen!

I love that Alan and Hope have gotten a mention already!
FebWriter chapter 13 . 9/7/2012
Thank you, Cynthia!

I was never a Fletcher fan either, actually, but like you I didn't hate him until...well, you know. Rest assured: that will NOT be happening here, though. If Holly's desk sees any of that kind of action, it will be her and Roger.

We're in the same age range, as I too am in my mid-thirties, so what I know about Hope comes from researching the character. She's a Bauer and a Spaulding, a wife, a mother, a daughter (Mike Bauer is her father), a niece (to Ed and Maureen), a friend, an interior designer. She is Alan's (and Alan-Michael's and Faith's) anchor, and she softens Alan's rougher edges, though he does still have them. (I admit, that part is all me, since they divorced and never saw each other again on the actual show.)

The last part of this story should be up tonight, and I'm hard at work on the third story in this timeline. I hope you continue to read and enjoy. :-)
Cynthia chapter 13 . 9/6/2012
Your product placement and "violence is never the answer" moments made me laugh out loud. It was also good to see Fletch both put in his place and given his due-I never liked the fella, but I didn't hate him until . . . Well, anyway . . .let's just say that the wedding picture is the right thing to be on Holly's desk! I look forward to meeting Hope since I'm too young to remember her (mid-thirties).
FebWriter chapter 12 . 9/5/2012
Blake has waited too long to see her parents like this to let them screw things up without at least trying to run interference, but they're doing better than she thought they were, hence the pride mixed with her relief that Holly's supporting Roger launching his own business.

As I recall, Matt and Vanessa were really raked over the coals by their friends and loved ones for their relationship once it became public knowledge in the middle of Fifth Street in the first days of 1995. That fact fit neatly into the framework of this story, and while Blake was the most outwardly happy about the fact that the scandal of Vanessa and Matt's relationship took the heat off Roger and Holly for getting married, Roger and Holly are definitely feeling some relief that somebody else is getting the kind of disapproval that's par for the course for them.

Maureen has a continuing role in this timeline. She's not the only character who wasn't on the actual show at the time who will be featured as either a resident of Springfield, or a returning visitor, in these stories. The next person will be mentioned in the next chapter, and several more characters besides those featured or mentioned in this story will play a part in the next story.

I'm having a lot of fun writing this, and I'm elated that someone besides me wanted to see Roger and Holly end up like this. I hope you keep reading and enjoying the life I'm writing for them in this universe, because it's far from over.
Cynthia chapter 12 . 9/4/2012
I love seeing Roger "centered"-just what we deserve. Ditto for having Maureen back. I'm happy to say I didn't watch from Christmas 1994 through May 2000 (conveniently my college years through my M.A.). It's a wonderful thing to have this instead, and I heartily thank you for writing it!

Nice detail of having Blake check to see that Holly knows about the new business plan. Also, poor Matessa!
FebWriter chapter 11 . 9/4/2012
Thank you, Cynthia! I'm thrilled you're enjoying the story so much. :-D

Hold on to that thought about Alex. It will be revisited in the future.

Nope, no pod people here. I believe this is what they could have had, which is a big part of my motivation for writing this series of stories. The show didn't give it to us, so I'll create a world for Roger and Holly where they get the life they fought so long and hard to have together.
Cynthia chapter 11 . 9/3/2012
I love the punch line at the end! It's thrilling to see my favorite characters written as they ought to be, definitely *not* taken over by pod people. I've been appreciating your attention to detail as well. . . Regarding the current chapter, somehow I suspect that Alex isn't through with them yet, but at least she and Fletch are in each other's hair, which is also as it ought to be.
FebWriter chapter 10 . 9/3/2012
Thank you, Cynthia!

I knew when I saw the Elizabeth Barrett Browning poem that that was the one to include.

Yup, it's back to the old grind for the newlyweds, but public opinion of their marriage isn't going to faze them at all. The seed will be planted to facilitate Holly's return to WSPR by this story's end.
Cynthia chapter 10 . 9/3/2012
Ah . . . Back in the "real world" . . . But such a lovely hneymoon beforehand. Yes, the sooner you can get her away from the newspaper, the better!