Reviews for Change of Heart: Captain's Prerogative, Part II
Tony7323 chapter 35 . 10/30/2013
Pretty Good I Liked It
Tony7323 chapter 32 . 10/30/2013
Sorry But Don't Like That Chapter U Had Shea Jumping In Bed With 3 People And 1 Couple, Shea Comes Off Like A TRAMP
Tony7323 chapter 25 . 10/30/2013
Now Chapter Was A lot More Fun To Read
Tony7323 chapter 21 . 10/30/2013
So Far This Getting To Be Dull This Shea Is Not Very Loyal To Jean-Luc Or Riker At All. And She Doesnt Seam To Care Who She Jumps In Bed With ... Me i Dont Like Her At All ... But I Will Finish The Story
Tony7323 chapter 1 . 10/29/2013
Wow That Was A Very Intense 1ST Chapter I Loved It. And I Can't Wait To Read Where It Goes Next
Alara Rogers chapter 35 . 4/19/2013
Huh. I was with you up to the point where you claimed that the Continuum wants to purge all emotion, doesn't really *have* emotions, doesn't understand desire or love and wants the universe to be free of such excesses, and so on. These are people who fought a war because one of them wanted to die. Two of them died for love of a child they had, and the others killed them, as nearly as I can tell out of jealousy since they could have taken Amanda Rogers' parents' powers away and didn't. Every single one we've ever met has been *very* emotional, sometimes bordering on raw id, like Q and his son. And Q plainly loves his son, he's just incompetent at dealing with him. None of your description of what the Q are vs what D is makes any sense to me given what we have seen of the Q... they are not about harmony, making things more peaceful, eliminating excessive emotion, etc. Q himself seemed to think that their loss of interest in existence over time was the result of boredom, and the Q who wanted to die claimed that they used to have passionate arguments and now there's nothing new for them to talk about.

I've seen a number of different interpretations of what the Q are, but this is the first I've seen where most of the story seemed to basically get Q right and characterize him correctly, and then it all fell apart at the end. To me, it seems like the conflict between D and Q ought to be around whether it is better to have that entity, the supreme universal entity, be a single being uni-mind or a collective of individuals. D is a single being, with the flaws and positive traits of a human being; he's united and singular, he cannot conflict with himself, but his motives are sometimes selfish. Individual Q are also often driven by selfish motives, but they can be checked by the Continuum; the Continuum as a whole can usually control its Q and keep things smooth, but because it is comprised of individuals it is capable of fracturing into internal conflict.

If this is the case, then the Continuum are preferable to D because they check each other, but D's continued existence is preferable to the Continuum swallowing him because *he* can check *them*. D is too plainly driven by base human emotions to be sole god of the universe; he'd abuse it as badly as any one individual Q would, and no one could stop him. But if no one can check the Continuum, then if they end up off balance or conflicting with each other or they fight a civil war or they get a really stupid idea in their heads and decide to carry it out, no one can stop them either. So plaintiff should still be denied because the Q cannot be given sufficient power to absorb D; the status quo should be maintained. D obviously didn't bother to consume and take over the Continuum during any of the centuries before Shea existed, so either he doesn't want to or he can't; if the Continuum joining with Shea means that they have the power to essentially absorb D, that's not the status quo, so the end result has to be the same. But claiming that the Q don't have emotions or that they want to check excessive emotion and make everything harmonious is... weird, because it's not in line with anything whatsoever we've ever seen a Q do.

And I doubt very much that joining the Continuum would make Shea as emotionless as herself-as-dark-entity. Q himself throws temper tantrums but then relents and doesn't kill when he could because people make emotional appeals to him. At Farpoint, he froze Tasha Yar because he was mad at her, and Troi screamed at him that he was being a bully and unfair and cruel, so he unfroze her. He threw a Shakespeare volume at Picard and then ran off rather than do anything nasty to him when Picard pissed him off in the episode about making Riker a Q. Q feels gratitude (and lashes out in irritation when no one lets him discharge his gratitude), he plainly didn't really want to kill Amanda Rogers, he saved Picard's life for no particularly good reason, he dropped major hints to Picard during the All Good Things test, he didn't force Janeway to cooperate with him... none of this is consistent with the behavior of Shea-as-dark-entity. Q, in fact, behaves a lot more like D, except that D is frankly more smarmy about it. (Q annoyed the shit out of Vash but didn't basically kidnap her and force her to return with him. Of course, Vash wasn't part of him either.) The reason Shea should not join the Continuum is not that her personality would radically change; she *already* behaves like a Q. She stirs up trouble because it's fun, she hurts people's feelings either because she was mad or because she felt it was best for them if she did it, she breaks the rules if she doesn't agree with them, she does what she wants and does what others tell her to do only if she cares about them. This actually makes her a hell of a lot like Q as we've seen him. The reason Shea should not join the Continuum is that her existence outside the Continuum preserves the balance; the Continuum would overwhelm and consume D if Shea were a Q, and this cannot be allowed because no one entity, including the Continuum-as-entity, can be allowed that much power over the universe.

So it's weird, because I feel like there were ways you could have gotten the exact same result as the end of your story by sticking to a characterization of the Q that's more in line with the overly emotional, chaotic way we've seen them act, but instead you sort of fell off a cliff by painting a picture of the Continuum that just doesn't look like what we've seen. It's been a good story aside from that.
nathasa39 chapter 35 . 11/26/2012
me ha gustado mucho su historia, ha estado llena de aventura y acción, espero que continúe su trabajo es muy bueno, gracias por esta lectura tan interesante.
nathasa39 chapter 32 . 11/20/2012
otro gran capitulo.
nathasa39 chapter 30 . 11/13/2012
muy interesante. espero su actualización.
nathasa39 chapter 29 . 11/11/2012
muy interesante.
nathasa39 chapter 28 . 11/7/2012
intrigante, esperando por mas.
nathasa39 chapter 27 . 11/5/2012
wow! buen por mas.
nathasa39 chapter 26 . 11/2/2012
muy por mas
nathasa39 chapter 25 . 10/30/2012
muy interesante, otro capitulo genial.
nathasa39 chapter 23 . 10/28/2012
buen capitulo muy por mas