Reviews for Transcendence: Digital Fire
Crazyeight chapter 7 . 11/15/2014
I was kind of confused about this chapter, mainly from the Gabumon/Matt interaction in regards to the questions and attitudes put forth by the kids they talked to. Matt tearing up especially comes to mind. While they would be aware of how closely the attitudes of the children reflect the decisions they made during that pivotal moment in the Dark Master arc, I don’t think they would be so emotional about it now. I am reminded of their last scene together in Adventure where they both pretty much decided that there was not much left to say, and I am also reminded of how just a few episodes earlier Gabumon had to snap Matt out of his funk in the cave. And even in that particular battle with WarGreymon, they both agreed to fight Tai and Agumon together and Gabumon points this out to Matt rightfully in your chapter. Fast forward to 02’s representation of Matt and he’s a lot more calm and collected about himself. He is the sort of person who looks forward to the future and only uses the past as lessons to build himself into a better person. He has learned some value in letting go of the past because it chained him in his first adventure and gave him a wrong sense of purpose.

I don’t know, but I don’t think I can buy that Matt is afraid to apologize for his actions back then after all this time, especially since he appears to be the sort of person who lets his actions speak for him (his reunion with Tai in the first season spoke volumes). I could be being a little too critical on this point, but Matt's scene strikes me as one that has been repeated often enough in this story and the previous one, so it doesn't really do anything for me as a reader.

It was nice to see BlackAgumon start to get into the story more. I found him rather absent of purpose up to this point.

Otherwise, it’s…not a bad chapter, but to me it’s not one that shines. It continues a lot of the themes already present in the previous chapters; emotions not being voiced being one while Renamon and Guilmon continue to be sort of mysterious. Overall I’m not really sure how this chapter advances the story or the characters beyond getting BlackAgumon to start to move, which is a welcome change of pace.

-Crazyeight
Emeraldpichu chapter 1 . 11/2/2014
This is a surprisingly good story. Early in the first part it was a bit hackneyed in how it got the plot rolling but the character interaction keep me going and then it got really good by the end. The second part excellent all the way through so far and the way you work with the story material for the multiple sub series into one seamless world is literally something i have only seen one other time. Now I'm rather invested in seeing were this will go and cant wait till next time.
Ultimateblack chapter 9 . 10/29/2014
There is a weakness with the exchange front. Who is going to supply the yen? And how will the front change the bits back to yen? And who will change currency other than tai?
Ultimateblack chapter 6 . 10/29/2014
Wow, I think I'm becoming your most frequent reviewer. Please note that the characters are speaking japanese and what we're reading is a translation. So, Davis couldn't have said that he can't stand japanese, because that's his mother tongue. The japanese are masterful in their own language but have difficulties with others. Also to point out the subject tai was studying in the first chapter, I don't think the japanese study Shakespeare...
Ultimateblack chapter 3 . 10/28/2014
There! Redband agumon. Isn't that good enough to distinguish the season 1 agumon and season 5 agumon? Although you did say you wanted to give RB agumon a nickname... You should change the part in the chapter so that not all agumon wear red armbands, because they don't. Only Masaru's does.
Ultimateblack chapter 1 . 10/28/2014
I know that it's for the plot that you changed the deijiimon-tachi no appearance. I should point out that it's a bit hard to imagine changes when we're so accustomed to the normal looks. If you've watched the epilogue of season 2 and you'll have noticed that agumon was only up to grown up taichi's thigh... So being a head shorter than an Asian man (who is kinda short) is still pretty tall for a digimon. Also, be careful with YOUR, YOU'RE, THEIR and THEY'RE. This is a mistake most frequently made by authors. ️
Guest chapter 5 . 10/21/2014
Omg your writing style is like playing digimon world! Digimon owning shops, using bits as currency, items with mods, weapons and armor... And the stunning personality provision for digimon. Absolutely amazing and fun to read. Faved!
Ultimateblack chapter 60 . 10/23/2014
You know, with the royal knights and human armies, you might as well channel season five into this. It'll be awesome seeing frontier characters making cameos and masaru jumping in to punch digimon in the face every now and then. Then we can have fun with the agumon(s)! But seriously, this is getting close to season five, and I look forward to it.
Ultimateblack chapter 45 . 10/22/2014
A couple of things to point out:

Have you mentioned before that agumon underwent physical alterations? I know he is bigger than an average agumon but does he have a tail? He shouldn't be able to bump guilmon with that stump on his rump

Does ranamon still have her beast spirit? Or is she just an average digimon with no memories of the past?
Ultimateblack chapter 24 . 10/22/2014
Hmmm... Renamon and guilmon interact in a familiar way... I think they're like tigress and Po in the first KFP movie
Ultimateblack chapter 11 . 10/21/2014
Yeah man! Izumi (frontier) reference! I like how you portrayed the characters like the original japanese version. It might be OOC for dub watchers but absolutely enjoyable for sub watchers like me! Anyway, renamon should have warmed up to the other digimon like in tamers. Speaking of them, will the tamers appear later on?
mikehuber chapter 21 . 10/17/2014
hmm sounds like the group split up. i wonder if gabumon is going to have trouble with this new digivolution. sounds like an interesting problem for matt to try figuring out. i was wondering what tai thinks about the whole situation with gabumon digivolving differently. sounds like barbarmon is going on the offensive and trying to destabilize the group.
Crazyeight chapter 6 . 10/5/2014
Cody’s statement that it seems so strange that no adults have digimon partners is…a bit off. Even setting aside what Tamers revealed about the link between digimon and children, it’s important to remember that digimon and the digital world was a *very* new development in our world (younger than the Internet’s appearance in mainstream life) and that would make it rather difficult for anyone to have partner digimon (made even harder by the facts that the early digital world would have been quite primitive and that groups like the one Gennai was a part of seem to prefer the two worlds being separate—which is a matter of practicality actually. Gennai gave some reasons why this would be bad, but I think it’s also important to remember that digimon might inadvertently drive humanity into extinction). We can speculate on the role that the dream world has had on human history and the life forms that may or may not have existed there, but history and folk tales indicate that such events are difficult to judge and may not have been particularly common. Factoring in religion, it could be that such entities did not require a single partner in order to exist at a high level of power, and instead may have needed *many* ‘partners’.

The OC’s so far don’t have very much presence. Some of this may be due to the lack of any distinct personality or language patterns as I’ve mentioned before, or even chemistry with the characters. I have to keep backtracking just to remember who is being talked about and if they have had a role in the story previously.

Not sure how this chapter fits into the story. It really reads like it's mostly filler.
Crazyeight chapter 5 . 10/5/2014
Line from chapter 4: “I only meant that there can be multiple paths through digivolving… some are shorter and easier than others, some are stronger, but all have their drawbacks.”

The statement that this doesn’t tell the Digidestined anything is…well, Considering how much experience they have at this point, what they know about digimon and how they battle, they wouldn’t need much to be told to them. For starters, it’s acknowledged that digimon are divided into three types—data, virus, and vaccine, which takes a rock, paper, scissors approach in terms of advantages and vulnerabilities. It’s not certain that type will play a huge role (since level and experience are important as well. Consider the scene from season one during the tail end of the Myotismon Arc where two Champions of the Virus and Vaccine attributes—Tuskmon and Snimon respectively—held off three Vaccine Ultimates—WereGarurumon, Zudomon, and Garudamon—for a considerable length of time and seemed to be exceptionally good at their job), but it is important to consider. Given that the Digidestined digimon were specifically selected to fulfill the role of soldiers in a war whose opponents were predominantly of the Virus attribute, they were all chosen for their combat advantage or have a virus-cleansing ability (Lillymon for example despite her being at a huge disadvantage as a Data type has the wreath ability). So while technically SkullGreymon and his related Viral forms aren’t ‘wrong’ evolutions (except in how it occurred courtesy of Tai forcing him) it was the ‘wrong form’ for the job required when every edge counted.

I think my biggest concern with this so far is that—aside from the fact that nothing is really happening right now and everyone is telling each other to stop apologizing all the time—is that far too many of the characters sound the same, using words that I don’t recall them using often (like Veemon using the word ‘anticipate’ for example)
Crazyeight chapter 3 . 9/10/2014
Line: ‘Ah, you’re digidestined, are you? You’re girlfriend too?’

I think you mean ‘your girlfriend’, not ‘you’re’. ‘You’re’ is a contraction of ‘you are’, which is not the context given here.

Pretty sure you can’t describe Tentomon as being like a ‘ladybug’ as Ladybugs typically lack horns on their shells and they have a distinctive appearance overall that clashes with Tentomon. ‘Beetle’ is a more generic term that would more accurately describe Tentomon. A generic description would be best since it gives a quick image of what is expected visually, whereas ‘ladybug’ is very specific.

Renamon’s statement on digimon not getting involved romantically because they lack (biological) genders flies in the face of what we’ve seen of digimon cultures (and what Renamon is likely to have seen, especially if this is the same Renamon from Tamers who met a *married* digimon couple). Digimon don’t have a problem with the whole romance thing despite the lack of biological genders (never mind the fact that even in human’s gender isn’t a prerequisite for romance). Not sure where this came from except that it seems to serve as an interjection of the romance subplot.

I have to apologize for not being further along in this story. Work is picking up (I’m on six days a week now) and I’m trying to be thorough with my analysis of the chapters to make sure that I’m not missing anything in my notes. There’s not a whole lot ‘wrong’ that I can see so far, but…it’s as you said to me before. Not a whole lot is happening, which is making it a bit difficult to get through.

-Crazyeight