Reviews for An Officer and a Gentlewoman
Sillylilbit chapter 1 . 12/19/2013
LOVED this! I haven't read anything from Honorverse in at least 5 years...this was an absolute pleasure!
And the whole "negative gay character" thing...that's exactly how I felt!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/30/2013
An interesting read, and for the most part an enjoyable one for this Honorverse addict of 20 years (I started when the first two books published, long before it became the runaway it has since turned into), I found the characters rang fairly true, especially Foraker who is one of my favourite secondary characters of all time in all fiction. Naomi was poorly treated in the second half of Crown of Slaves in my view, and you were right in her conduct was left unexplained except in the most superficial way. I will say I found your interpretation of Virginia Usher the least credible in terms of feel, but even there it wasn't off to me by all that much, and the logic for her reasons both personal and professional struck me as entirely credible/plausible. So in terms of basic characters, basic premise, and plot logic this struck me as a very nice piece of fiction to read, good enough that if I had paid for it in a short story collection I would have found it money well spent.

It is also always a pleasure to see someone writing bisexuals in a favourable way. My wife and I are both bi, and we have both had to put up with a lot of shall we say less than pleasant elements in our lives because we refuse to pretend we are anything other than we are (now, we don't go out of our way to rub peoples noses in it, we just don't do anything to hide it either such as whenever it is contextually relevant, same as heterosexuals don't in their behaviour, like when publicly commenting on how attractive someone is and so forth). We also notice how hard it can be to see good portrayal of being bi in a positive (or at east not a negative to evil light) in fiction, for some reasons a lot of the time we feel like both the straight and gay sides see us as some sort of threat/perversion, and while we sort of expected that from the straight side I have to say getting it from the gay community really scarred both of us. So thank you for your concern about such portrayals and writing something that felt good on that score as well on top of what I had to say about the more standard elements of your story.
capriciously quixotic chapter 1 . 10/12/2012
I love Shannon as well, and found it a pity the books don't feature more of her, and being tucked away in Bolthole makes it difficult to ship her with anyone.

Naomi's somewhat more likeable here, although it's a bit of a stretch to have her running away from home, and for Ginny to dislike her to such an extent. Still, it was well written, and I agree that the professional spies probably wouldn't get along with Shannon, who only pays attention to important things.

I've noticed the negative portrayals of GLBT characters as well, and although you have to pay attention to find those brief references, they're either sexual predators (of genetic slaves), antagonists, or happily married women who used to have relationships with other women, while the men barely appear.
Barbarossa Rotbart chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
Nice story!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/2/2012
I read for entertainment not social commentary. Your story was good, I liked the characters.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/28/2012
One minor correction, Thandi Palane was not a "Scrag"; she was from an impoverished frontier plane (Ndebele). Her "Amazons" are Scrags, however.

The Virgina Usher character was a bit more abrasive than previous text would indicate, and I thought for awhile that there would be more "wheels within wheels" with Victor and the Ushers involved. But apparently not.

Still, a well-told tale.
skywiseskychan chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Heh, I love this little short story. It's quick, well thought out, and a fun read. I would love to see a full length Honor Harrington story out of you. I also agree that it's a shame how marginalized Shannon was after she got to bolthole.

On the story itself yes the end is a bit weak, and they really do leap into bed but still it is rather amusing.
pokermind chapter 1 . 9/15/2012
I enjoyed the story, even the "an Officer and Gentleman" ending. I think you caught Shannon's "loose canon" personality perfectly. I miss her appearance in later books

poker
Guest chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
Enjoyed your drummer.
Tks for your time.
Sully
bhut chapter 1 . 9/1/2012
That was a nice story, though a bit heavy-handed in relation to sexual orientation of the various characters involved here; most of your stories aren't that intense (not couting Harley/Ivy ones, at least). Still, I certainly had fun reading it, even if I'm not a big fan of the Honorverse and its characters. Thanks for breaking out of your hiatus, in any case!
Captain Kurt Hoffman chapter 1 . 8/31/2012
Hi there,

Y'know, as much as I don't really mind the Ushers, this story was well done and enjoyable. I wouldn't mind reading a one-shot sequel or something of that sort.

That was a hint.

In all seriousness, well done, and thanks for a good read. I needed a pick-me-up. Keep up the good writing.

Regards,
The Captain
shanejayell chapter 1 . 8/31/2012
Good job. I liked it. :D
Guest chapter 1 . 8/31/2012
Heh. Yeah, the ending is a bit rushed but I liked it. :D
Alsike chapter 1 . 8/30/2012
Oh man, I've just been getting into the HH books, and clearly femslash makes everything even better! Also, I just love the whole military romanticism of this story.