Reviews for Falls the Shadow
guest chapter 8 . 6/12/2014
this is the darkest and one of the best aus i have ever read. it's haunting and beautiful and sad and disturbing and makes me want more of this world and so, so glad that it didn't really happen.
saltyavocado chapter 8 . 1/23/2014
I went back and realized I never left a review for this one, which is crying shame and should be remedied immediately. I'd have to say I have a special weakness for Dark!Circle, which leaves me aching and heartsick and absolutely delighted by how twisted and broken my favorite characters are (? I don't understand it either).

This fic is Perfect with a capital P as far as filling in the gaps go. What happened between the tomb robbers finding Sandry and Namorn. Briar's year as a convict and how he got to Emelan. Daja's war trauma and the way people have used her as a weapon, and how strong her resolve is in the face of it all (torture?! abandonment?! and still she refuses to yield to Sandry's cousin ahhhh just carry me out the door). And Tris, of course, whose story is so much more tragic if you remember poor Zhegorz's experiences with misdiagnosis, the way she no longer trusts anyone and wanders the roofs of the city after being drugged up to the gills. I could go on about TPierce's narrative coding for rare ambient magic paralleling our society's treatment of neuroatypical people, but that's a rant for another day.

Long story short, I REALLY REALLY LOVE this dark little universe you've made and the way you managed to bring the four together, all jagged edges and isolation yet still desperately needing the others because, in the end, they still want to believe the lie that there's a place for them to belong.
KomodoClassic chapter 8 . 11/27/2013
Dang.

The contrast and parallels with Sandry are /fantastic/. In the original, she fears the dark, and here she welcomes it. She's lived in it long enough to know it as a friend. And she's cold and dark instead of warm and lively. But for all that, she's still the one who ties the group together.

Briar is my favorite. And I love what you've done with him. He's bent (into a pretzel. Seriously, seriously bent) but I don't think he's broken, not yet. He's never stopped fighting. I love the description from Tris' POV: "A boy who stood against the world with knives in his hands and a sharp tongue to match, who would fight for what he needed because he knew how people took and never gave back."
It's almost enough to make me want to hug him, if he was the kind of character who you would want to hug. I mean, if you tried to hug him here, you'd get stabbed, but he's so...I love him. And what you've done with him is awesome.

Daja is still sturdy, still strong, still composed. And honestly, I see the most similarities between her and her AU counterpart, out of the four. She sees clearly, and it's almost like she didn't change as much, like she could have turned out the same even in canon.

Tris- -wow. I really admire you for being able to write her, especially in an AU. I've always found her the hardest to understand, and she would be the hardest one for me to write. I love the way she sees things.

Also:
"Briar opened his eyes to darkness." "Darkness surrounded him."
"Daja opened her eyes to darkness." "Darkness surrounded her."
"Tris opened her eyes to darkness." "Darkness surrounded her."
"Sandry opened her eyes." "And soon, Summersea would open its eyes to darkness."

Absolutely, chillingly beautiful.
KomodoClassic chapter 7 . 11/27/2013
Whoa.
Shivers. Really. This is so- -I mean, Briar is my favorite character. And this is just so dark- -whoa. It's- -dang it, I can't find words.
Beautiful. Absolutely chilling. And in-character in a way that you only ever see at the beginning of the first book (and in Will of the Empress when Briar and Daja do that thing where she takes bets while he takes off ALL his knives).
"Long live the Duchess." And he drew the knife across his throat.
Wow. You know, I've never thought of what would have happened if Niko hadn't saved them, but you are amazing. I also read Always Us, and it was fantastic as well.
Saffygirl chapter 8 . 10/23/2013
Awesome chapter!
Can't wait until the next update!
L.A.H.H chapter 8 . 10/22/2013
Excellent update. I did reread in the end, but it was a joy to do so! THanks for updating
rosaxx50 chapter 8 . 10/22/2013
But OMG THEY ARE FINALLY TOGETHER, MY SHATTERED FAVOURITES how can I not love it. *Sobs quietly* AND THEY CLING SO HARD, FIGHT SO HARD TO SURVIVE, JUST LIKE IN CANON. AND THEN DARKNESS SURROUNDS THEM. ALL OF THEM. AFTER THEY FIND EACH OTHER.

Oooooh, Briar. His story is less painful because we all ready saw him meet Sandry, but his struggle to be free just speaks to me. All that raw determination to escape from his captors, only to fall into darkness.

Daja. DAJA. It's actually painful how clear-sighted she is. I am cursing you for everything between the lines about how Frantsen has tortured her (but of course they would - even if they weren't determined, she's only a Trader), and she is still so grim, so practical about feeding and building up strength because of course she is. Sandry and Daja and DAJA BELIEVING SANDRY AGAINST HER MIND TELLING HER OTHERWISE BECAUSE INSTINCT, Sandry coming at a point where kindness meant so much. The reason Sandry would let her go (because it furthers her agenda anyway) is so telling. Every observation from Daja about how creepy/scary Briar and Sandry are and how this speaks to her soul gives me LIFE. Also, how do you write Daja's dialogue, she's got that dry, quietly defiant wit that I love about her in the books - it's so completely spot on.

(But mostly Daja being bruised DDD: )

(It was that thread on Glake's fault, wasn't it?)

And the absolute contrast between Tris's and Daja's section made everything all the more creepier. Daja's section is painful in its sharp accuracy, the way it captures each detail of reality. Tris's passes like a dream, like a monologue, and after Daja's, it gives the distinct impression that she's largely lost her grip on reality.

And... "she just wanted something that was hers". Because they're tired of hiding. What a good summary of what each of them are looking for.

Plus I always, always appreciate your Sandry - she's so scary in her utter conviction, the way sarcasm slides off her. She's like that creepy little girl trope where she's so painfully earnest and brutal at the same time. MY FAVOURITE, BASICALLY. And omg MAGES OF HER OWN and OMINOUS ENDINGS.

(Wow I'm really getting coherent, aren't I?)

tl;dr - Forever in love with your slightly insane, completely unrestrained mages with darkness and power at their fingertips, forever in love with that wild, desperate grab for survival and freedom and people who understand, forever in love with all the blood they're going to shed.

(RE: your PM - sorry to hear about your computer troubles :( . I am doing a good job distracting myself, so not your fault at all. This reminds me, actually, did I ever tell you that I did answer those top 5s (on lj) you asked me for, ages back? Top 5 tv shows / pairings of all time / character deaths.

My dp is from "Bloodlines" by Richelle Mead, with my current OTP and everything. 90% of what I've done the past few months has been for them, especially writing-wise. I'm having trouble writing anything long for any other fandoms, Emelan included. It's not really new, though - it's just because I'm reviewing from this account instead.

As for Glake, lol yeah I deleted my account. It was part of my plan to move on from fandom and everything - I deleted LJ and tumblr and DW too. But it failed, and I reinstated everything because I couldn't stay away.)

(I like you too.)

(Did you sign up for yuletide after all?)
Unformal Sorrelle chapter 8 . 10/20/2013
Whoo! I love the new chapter! This AU you have is always so wonderfully dark and yet at the same time it's kinda fluffy at the same time. Maybe it's like the dark chocolate of FanFiction? I dunno, but I enjoy it!
mercuryandglass chapter 8 . 10/20/2013
Your writing is, as always, perfect. This chapter made me especially happy; they're all together!
phoenixphlight chapter 8 . 10/19/2013
Absolutely wonderful, as always. I particularly liked Sandry and Daja's sections.
mistrali chapter 1 . 6/6/2013
This fits the tone in canon really well. It's an eerie look into what might've been, and the parallels are spooky.
Shadowdawn199 chapter 7 . 5/9/2013
So amazing. So chilling and scary. But I love it. ESPECIALLY DARK TRIS. I love DARK TRIS. Please keep writing, I want to know what happens next.
Licorice Tears chapter 7 . 1/29/2013
wOnDeRfUl beyond words.
L.A.H.H chapter 7 . 1/26/2013
Excellent chapter. I particularly enjoyed reading about Briar using his magic. Thanks for writing
The voice of all things chapter 7 . 1/25/2013
Wow! I love this story. Exploring the darker possibilities is a great idea. These are four great mages, after all, and I can't wait to see what becomes of them! Sandry is still a rally point for the group, but she's bringing them together in a different way. Please keep writing, there aren't enough good CoM stories out there.