Reviews for The Guardian of the Walls
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
This was lovely, well done!
The Battling Bard chapter 1 . 2/15/2006
Incredible really, that you can state with such certainty that Celegorm was blonde, when Tolkien himself was undecided. Indeed, before his death, he had all but dismissed the idea, given the inconsistencies that arose with this theory. Good story anyway.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 1/26/2004
I've never really understood Aredhel, but your version of the story makes a lot of sense. Very plausible and beautifully written story.
Pink Kryptonite chapter 1 . 11/5/2002
This is one of my all time favorites. Sorry that it took me so long to review! I don't feel right reviewing stories that are this good. But, I'll try.

I like the way you portray Aredhel, stubborn and strong. She loves Celegorm, but can't admit it to herself. (I understand; I certainly don't want to become my parents either!) And the story flowed very well, and left a lot to the readers imagination, which is great but at the same time irritating! I really do hope you write more about them. (I read the other one from Celegorm's POV and was blown away) Thank you for writing! :)
jillian baade chapter 1 . 9/4/2002
Do you think she'd have married him if she had reached him instead of getting lost and finding Eol? This story sure explains Celegorm's reaction to Eol years later when they met while Eol is searching for his wife and son. Have to feel shocked that Celeform didn't strangle Eol, I would have if I'd been him. Aredhel was wrong, she WAS having sex with Celegorm, but then i guess she had to 'feel' bound for it be so.
Maia1 chapter 1 . 8/9/2002
Brilliantly written, and absolutely tragic. You make Aredhel into such a compelling character: so powerful, so strong, so flawed, so tragic. There is such primal power in this piece. Blood, sex, instinct, love, hate, rage, longing... you've captured the untameable wildness of the elven -and human - heart.

Oh, and I love the lions!
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 8/3/2002
A strong Aredhel? Indeed she is, but she still needs someone to help her guard the walls.

Its a very good little story, Deborah, and very insightful. The imagery is wonderful, too. I specially enjoyed the scene in the cave of the lions. Wow!

And, about Celegorm being blond. At last I know for sure! Ive always suspected him to be blond, thoug; only that, then, after who would he take? Hmmmm.
vorondis1 chapter 1 . 7/17/2002
Well, here I am, finding myself on Celegorm's side. Why can't Aredhel believe he loves her? Does he resemble her father? Does she resemble her mother? She's really treating him badly. No wonder he turns nasty later!
Celandine Brandybuck chapter 1 . 7/16/2002
*shakes head* Goodness. The history of the Noldor is just full of wrong choices, isn't it? Especially in the king's house...

I like your Aredhel - well, not like, she's not very likeable, but this is how I would have thought of her. Very proud, very strong, very certain of herself. Restless - the image of the lions ties into this as well. Great characterization there. And if Aredhel's take on what constitutes the bond of sex is inaccurate, then Maeglin would be essentially illegitimate - which could explain something about him, as well.
Soledad chapter 1 . 7/15/2002
I wonder if the two had the courage to really bond, how the kids would have turned out? Maeglin the Great Hunter, perhaps? And maybe, just maybe, Aredhel would have had a better life than it turned out for her. On the other hand, considering how mad the sons of Fëanor had become... who knows.
Artanis chapter 1 . 7/15/2002
Another haunting fic of yours. Noldorin pride... *shakes head*. If only Celeborn was a Noldor, his love and Galdriel would have ended in the same disaster as others. Poor Aredhel, too relieved to find Eol who wants to listen. she was vulnerable, tired, angry, and cannot think straight that time. That is why Eol can captivate her easily. My friend told me that we dont fall in love with handsome or valiant guy, but the one we think care for us. Again, poor Aredhel. Now what is she thinking in Mandos now?
Mouse chapter 1 . 7/15/2002
Wonderful. I love your characterization of Aredhel: her refusal to bond to Celegorm, her love of the hunt and the strength that is involved in it. The passage about the blood and guilt-bond is my favourite- powerful and lurid. This story brings a clearer understanding of why exactly she was "not unwilling" for Eol to take her to wife. Your writing is pure excellence ... as always.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 7/14/2002
Celegorm/Aradhel was done wonderfully. I like being able to compare their relationship with Maedhros/Fingon because Celegorm is no Maedhros and Aradhel certainly isn't as forgiving as Fingon. I never thought that Celegorm purposefully didn't see Aradhel during that 1 year she was among his people, but it makes sense. The story was very complete and well-done. I hope it has stareted you on more side stories. I want to see Celegorm's POV. Or to hear what Curufin has to say as a third party. :b And you explained better than anyone else why Aradhel would get together with Eol. She was just plain tired, and I think part of it was to spite Celegorm. Good thing Maeglin ended up in Gondolin instead of Nargothrond. I don't want to think about what Celegorm or Curufin might've done to him considering what they did to Finrod. And it's put Celegorm's attraction to Luthien as being almost purely political, which seems right too.
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 7/14/2002
Wow.

Firstly, I liked the idea of Aredhel, like Galadriel, being directly involved in the Kinslaying. She never struck me as the type who would stand aside and let the men do all the fighting.

I loved the part in the lions' den - Celegorm speaking lionish... :) I wonder what they were saying...

It's a pity that Celegorm and Aredhel never did get together, and it's sad that Aredhel ended up with Eöl when it was Celegorm that she really wanted.

Great job! I love your stories.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 7/14/2002
This is what I love about fanfic - seeing a character in a completely new light through someone else's interpretation. I've always dismissed Aredhel as foolish, but your story offers a perspective on her motives I hadn't considered.