Reviews for Baltic Adventure
CaptainNancy382 chapter 8 . 8/24/2014
I LOVE you and your writing. Please keep going. Your continuation of the S&A world makes me so happy
EstellaB chapter 33 . 7/27/2014
"...count nine months backwards. Mostly they use their fingers."

This is one of my favourite lines ever and made me snort out loud. I don't think I've ever heard John use sarcasm before, so it just goes to show how angry he is.

I find it somewhat odd that Captain Flint would instantly jump to the conclusion that John is exclusively at fault. Nancy is very much mistress of her own destiny, after all, and babies do normally require the involvement of two people. I suppose he's the closest thing she has to a father, and I'm under the impression that fathers always do blame boys and not daughters. I love his description of Nancy, and I do love the idea that the whole of the lake was in a constant muddle over what she might decide to do next.
EstellaB chapter 28 . 7/27/2014
I love this version of Roger-competent and thoughtful and kind. I also love the way that he has noticed that his mother and father, and John and Nancy, are in love (though he doesn't call it that). This incident is horrible for Susan, but I'm glad it was Roger there, because it will be good for their sibling relationship.

I want Roger to find a happy relationship, but as far as I'm aware, he hasn't been given one in any of your stories so far. I hope that he gets one some time after Pieces. It's particularly hard on him since John and Nancy, and Dick and Titty, are so revoltingly perfect for each other. Poor lad.

I'm irritated by Jim again (asking Roger's permission, effectively, even though he's younger than Susan and everybody has repeatedly reminded Jim that she's an adult entirely capable of making up her own mind), but I'll have to like Jim eventually, because I want Peggy to have a happy ending.
EstellaB chapter 26 . 7/27/2014
Hurrah! Three cheers! Swallows and Amazons forever!
EstellaB chapter 22 . 7/27/2014
Dick is so wonderful. I know I say that a lot, but this chapter is gorgeous. He reminds me (in some ways) of someone I love very much indeed (although the someone is highly extroverted and Dick couldn't be more of an introvert if he tried), particularly when he comments that the frequencies are all wrong for English, and when he talks about random trivia in an effort to get round to whatever he really means. This chapter bespeaks such a lovely quiet intimacy between him and Titty, and I can certainly see why they were embarrassed when Mac suddenly interrupted them.

The sister test makes me grin. I can definitely see Dick being staunchly and quietly protective of Dot, although it's a little more surprising (and therefore even nicer) to see Roger's protectiveness of Titty. It makes me want to ring my brother and find out what sort of things he would deem to constitute a fail of the sister test, if indeed he has developed such a thing.

This is proving to be a fantastic comfort read, despite all the peril!
EstellaB chapter 17 . 7/27/2014
This chapter is lovely, and sad. I didn't feel like I could review the previous chapters with David, because they were too heartbreaking and I didn't know what to say. They were beautifully written, though. Part of my personal headcanon for these characters is that Titty, somehow, becomes involved in the Kindertransports. I know that she would have been just too young, but I can't seem to disentangle her from the idea. I'm glad that John and Nancy rescue David, but it's just so awful for everyone involved.

I'm also glad that Nancy told John. One of the things that I respect about AR's Nancy is that, somehow, she knows how to be vulnerable. Even though she is strong and fearless and stubborn and loud, even occasionally a bit obnoxious, she still sometimes lets her guard down, and I like the fact that she is secure enough to do that. It's reflected well here.
EstellaB chapter 12 . 7/27/2014
Clever to give us the description of the crew from Dot's viewpoint, so that the physical descriptions don't seem out-of-place. I also liked, very much, Dick considering the snoring and giving a detailed response-it was just so terribly in character and lovely. Dick and Titty instantly preferring one another in the way they speak and gave recommendations to Mac made me smile (albeit a sadder smile, because I know how much they have to come in front of them before things get properly sorted). I wonder, do they even realise that they're interested in each other at this point? I know they are by the end of the story.

Arbroath Smokies sound delicious. I looked on Google Maps to see if Arbroath was close enough to Glasgow for me to seek them out next time I'm up there, but alas, it's more than three hours on public transport. That is quite a long way to go for fish.
EstellaB chapter 6 . 7/27/2014
Nancy and I feel very similarly about the subject of make-up. I think I have a lip gloss somewhere that a friend made me buy for a wedding. I love the fact that Jim, despite hardly knowing Nancy at the start of the story, knows about the GA. She obviously looms large in many of Nancy's anecdotes. I suppose she's an excellent character.

I do think that Susan is consistently heroic in the way she deals with Jim. She doesn't lead him on and yet is never actively rude unless she has to be, and that is a masterclass in diplomacy. You're very good at showing instead of telling in the way you narrate, which is impressive. Normally I prefer stories which tell, at least about social things like the way she gently rebuffs Jim (there is some question about me and autism and my ability to understand subtext, which is why I like these things to have a clear explanation), but you manage to make things quite clear without ever resorting to dull exposition. Thanks for that!
EstellaB chapter 4 . 7/27/2014
"My landlady kept coming in with medical problems."

Yes, that'll happen. (I'm also a nurse).

Jim, in this story, irritates me right from the start, although I suppose it isn't his fault-in the 30s, most men of a certain part of society did think it was a shame for women to have to work. It certainly makes Jim an interesting foil for John, who gets so upset when he realises that getting married will ruin Nancy's chances of being a teacher and doing something she loves.

The idea of John and Jim reading Georgette Heyer whilst Susan and Nancy read physiology textbooks makes me happier than I can express. Not sure if that's just something they are saying as part of the summer holiday cover, and I'm not sure that I want to know. I like the fact that Nancy and Susan are finding some common ground-I always thought that the more natural friendship would be between Nancy and Titty, but actually, Nancy can be as pragmatic as Susan in some ways, and Susan is certainly not lacking in a spirit of adventure.
EstellaB chapter 2 . 7/27/2014
The story of Nancy and Peggy and the raincoats makes me tear up. It does every time I read this. Just thought you ought to know. (I promise not to review every chapter and spam your inbox, but that is one of my favourite/the saddest parts of the story, and I just wanted to say so).
EstellaB chapter 1 . 7/27/2014
I'm not sure if I've ever actually reviewed Baltic Adventure before now. If not, apologies! I have read it before, and it's one of about four stories on this site that I come back to when I need cheering up (the others can be found in the Jane Austen, CS Lewis and Harry Potter fandoms). I absolutely love it. Of course I do, because it is John and Nancy's love story and that is my favourite of all romances in all fandoms, and it's so perfect for both of them that they begin their relationship amidst spies and war and battle.

In terms of just this chapter, I love how Titty's character is written-particularly that line about being both the oldest and the youngest. Of course Titty would see being the middle child as an opportunity to learn about other people, instead of just being 'maladjusted' according to the traditional cliché portrayal of middle children. She is just the right amount of firm with Bridget here-I think she's probably an excellent big sister. Peggy is very well-written, as well. I have learnt a lot about Peggy from your writing-I was never able to get a proper handle on her when I originally read the books (she was, after all, often overshadowed by Nancy-and even in Winter Holiday, she was overshadowed by the fact that she was trying to fill Nancy's shoes), but going back and rereading them in light of your stories has helped me to see that she's actually a clearly-defined and interesting character, just by herself.

I came to your user page, as I said, to reread this, and then got the delightful surprise that Pieces has been finished. I changed my email address a few months ago, and apparently my FFnet reminders started going into my spam folder. Now I get to spend an entire evening, at some point, reading it from start to finish. I'm so looking forward to it :)
Heliopause chapter 35 . 12/21/2013
The hedgehog! :D Three million cheers!
Oh... I've just got to the author's note. :) Lovely, re the hedgehog in real life.
and here we are at the end of the story! Thank you for such a long, well-structured, character-filled, PLOTTY story! And thanks also for the info about the Hitlerian Youth Patrol, and (more cheerfully) for the lovely evocations of place throughout!
Heliopause chapter 34 . 12/21/2013
A wedding! So it's next year already. :)
Coffin! Well, that was unexpected!
(I liked Peggy's mildly risque remark about buttons! :) )
Goodness! Two death references in a wedding chapter! I guess that'll teach Williams not to dance with the wrong girl!
Good heavens. Is that another death reference?

Oh, I do like the church being real! - though I'm concerned about the mice in the next downpour. :)
Heliopause chapter 33 . 12/19/2013
I had been thinking that everyone seemed to have lost track of the time (ie for a-full-term-plus-a-few weeks baby), especially since Nancy was home at Beckfoot in April (which can't have been terribly long before David was born), and not visibly bulgy.
Heliopause chapter 32 . 12/19/2013
Once again, I really enjoyed the sense of place (and time!) here, as well as the character interaction.