Reviews for Droxy's Folly
muumi2three chapter 14 . 10/17
I agree, it was pretty cool that you managed to write a literal folly into the story. Thanks for sharing with everyone!
MyLovelyHorse chapter 1 . 8/24
Whoa - what a fantastic story! Gripping and beautiful and soul-shreddingly moving. I really love the way Snape is written - just always so full of doubt; trying to master his self-hate and constantly teetering on the edge of madness, considering his life and the world he finds himself in, I honestly can't picture him being any other way. And when the light finally dawns on him and he lets himself be loved... OMRG, it's just perfection.

All the secondary characters had so much life. I adore Pansy and Draco in this, and Lucius is always an evil treat. Everything with Ron was so moving. I really loved it! Thank you for writing it!
irononmaiden chapter 14 . 4/26
Dear god, this story was exquisite and heartbreaking. Every single page had me tearing up, and if the writing weren't so perfect, I might not have finished. Fantastic work!
Cause-and-Author chapter 14 . 4/8
Oh, I simply LOVE Lucius' little monologue to himself. Honestly, half the fun of any Snape-centric story is getting to listen in on all the twists and convolutions of a Slytherin mind.

Another entry in the "damn that secretive old poof, why couldn't he just spell something out for once in his miserable life" column of Dumbledore's sins. Honestly, I never loathed him so much as when the totality of his life and schemes were revealed in book 7. Fanfiction has yet to disappoint me in this regard - most SS/HG authors, at least, take the same dim view of him that I do.

Overall, excellent - EXCELLENT - work. I appreciate everything you did with the prompter, the title, the folly as a plot point, and how you worked it into your story. I'm extremely pleased at how you worked us along to the happy reconciliation, and very much impressed by your ability to believably portray furious-but-still-in-love.

I like to think that your Snape (ab)used his position as Foreign Secretary to establish an underground railroad of sorts, but perhaps he's not quite so willing to stick his neck out for any non-order members. Still, you saved the Lupins, which was cause for a big grin, and you applied glue to my broken heart for at least implying that some of the Weasley clan survived.

A possible launching-point for a sequel might be to have the Order regrouping in Magical America - a kind of double-secret-inverse D-Day invading Occupied England to free them from the Vazi Regime. Could be fun, or could be awful - you left it at exactly the right place to close the book on this story and leave open the possibilities for everybody to imagine.

Thank you - so much - for making this story a reality. You've achieved something wonderful!
Cause-and-Author chapter 13 . 4/8
Exquisite work with the alternating viewpoint. I love the idea of these two lovers laying in bed, exchanging all the secrets that nearly broke them before The End. I am also stealing the "kindle" line.
Cause-and-Author chapter 12 . 4/8
This is something that I have discussed with people before - Snape should be much more comfortable with hand-to-hand and muggle-fighting than he is ever shown in books or most fiction. So you win a thousand points for giving him the wherewithal to go Muggle and go for the kill. Another thousand for using his defeated, Stunned enemy as a shield against the unblockable curse, and another thousand for giving him the willingness to kill in defense of his lover.

EXCELLENTLY well done.
Cause-and-Author chapter 11 . 4/8
Oh. OH my. You used the ward plot point like a scalpel, I'll give you that. Her loving him was and is monumental; in spite of his everything, she forgives, accepts, embraces. THAT is the spirt, the heart and soul of any SS/HG fiction, and you've .. not captured it, per se, but lured it nearby so that if we're quiet, we can see it in life.
Cause-and-Author chapter 10 . 4/8
You know, I'm starting to think that Pansy is my kind of witch. She seems fun, which is a pleasant change from many other fictions' depictions.
Cause-and-Author chapter 9 . 4/8
Have I mentioned how much I love this Snape? Patient, methodical, devious, ruthless - and in love. You played this whole scene exceptionally, brilliantly well.
Cause-and-Author chapter 8 . 4/8
"Newly awakened Slytherin-Hermione" may become my very very favorite trope in all of fanfiction. I don't care how she got here, I don't care what the backstory is - give me a Hermione who is as full of cunning, guile, and manipulation as she is courage, indignation and fury.

The revelation with Ron, and his subsequent fate, was the most painful thing I've read all morning. His tumbling between lucidity and insanity are heartbreaking, the more so because he's just so earnest about it all. I never particularly cared for him as anything more than the obligatory side-kick until I read this.
Cause-and-Author chapter 7 . 4/8
A) I crave the delicious angst of misunderstandings and misinterpretations between lovers, and you're providing it in spades. Excellently done.

B) This is a Snape I can respect and admire. I also assume that he's subverted the portrait? Well done him!
Cause-and-Author chapter 6 . 4/8
This setup is almost too good to spoil with my sad little words. Their relationship, such as it was, and their passion and their damned secret-keeping struggles. Damn Albus, that old poofter! I absolutely adore the plot-point about the wards, which is something I'll gleefully steal.
Cause-and-Author chapter 5 . 4/8
Okay, the dance with Snape was a disturbingly good read. You're playing them all against each other, and doing it brilliantly.
Cause-and-Author chapter 4 . 4/8
Okay, I see my mistake in the timeline. Derp! I'm hooked on your plot - I love Phineus Nigellus, and felt that the entire mechanic of moving portraits was underutilized. Argh! I'm supposed to be _working_, but I can't stop reading!
Cause-and-Author chapter 3 . 4/8
Glad to see I was right about Snape's assumed loyalties! Now decidedly confused about Hermione's rescuer, but what's the fun in extrapolating the entire story correctly from the first chapter?

I gather that this chapter is set two years after the previous? Hermione has been working under Lucius for this long? Intriguing! You gloss over much of her "I'm out of prison" recovery, but leave tantalizing hints in the form of her taste for coffee and her casually-crude friendship with Draco (which I'm very glad to see, by the way - I know he's a fun punching bag for fanfic writers, but I truly believe that given better options he might have had redemption.)