Reviews for The Good Soldier
Dearly-divided chapter 19 . 2/17
Oh dear lord. Please tell me that this story has not been abandoned, because I think it will cause me physical pain if that is the case. This story is wonderful, fantastic, brilliant, enthralling and I am ever so desperate to read more of it. As a history nerd I love how intricately you've woven the war into the story, and the your characters are marvellous and this story is just so damn good. I adore Erik and Christine's relationship in this and it is tearing me apart to think of them both so unhappy. Please please please please please continue this story. Please. I just think it's so fantastic!
bellawu chapter 2 . 11/7/2014
this erik really is difficult person to work with
bellawu chapter 1 . 11/5/2014
love the first ch!
Phanarah chapter 19 . 10/27/2014
Oops sorry, I see it was the same chapter but modified, thanks again! :P
Phanarah chapter 19 . 10/27/2014
Can you pretty please put the chapter back up again? I've been looking forward to your update for soooo long! :)
Igenlode chapter 19 . 10/26/2014
I noticed this chapter had disappeared, and wondered what you were doing with it... (NB: I think you can take the M rating off again, given the changes.)

*Not* the usual broken-home story, but a discontented woman taking and then discarding a lover... and it sounds as if his aunt, at least, is or has recently been in contact with his father. His mother's sister, presumably - I wonder how *her* life and subsequent upbringing was affected by her sister's scandalous doings!
jezczacc chapter 19 . 10/26/2014
Welcome back!
jezczacc chapter 18 . 9/28/2014
This fanfic is so underrated!

A very well thought vintage story that got me hooked since the first chapter. It broke my heart seeing Erik's frustration and sacrifices towards Christine. I couldn't get this story out of my head for a good few days.

Keep up the good work and all the best!
jezczacc chapter 1 . 9/22/2014
The fanfic is so underrated! I am hooked by the very first chapter! It's nice to see a story that isn't just all about the love between Erik and Christine. I gotta say you've chosen a hard topic to write about, but I'm very glad you did nevertheless. Hope to see more of it soon!
meatpuppet1 chapter 18 . 8/18/2014
So he's going to go and get himself blown up. Great distraction buddy. Very noble, very patriotic, but a tad on the risky side. Anyway, love this story. I've been lurking for a long while, but I decided to follow today in case I forgot what the story was called later. :P
Toriana chapter 16 . 8/5/2014
He won't accept it - and then where will you be?
Toriana chapter 15 . 8/5/2014
Well, gracious, how civilized we've become - where do we go from here?
Igenlode Wordsmith chapter 19 . 6/7/2014
Congratulations on the detective work - yes, it was I who recommended your story to the reviews archive, though I'm afraid you may not see much feedback from that: when picking stuff from it to review people tend to fight shy of long multi-chapter stories, on the whole... Still, I was very thrilled to see my first-ever recommendation picked!

An interesting glimpse into Grey's workaday existence here, when he's 'on the job' and not with his parents at Hedley: there's actually a very strong resemblance to Christine's living arrangements in her own little flat with gregarious, noisy neighbours. It hadn't occurred to me to peg him as a competent and creative cook - *that* presumably didn't come from institutional living! - an endearing extra touch that Christine apparently hasn't encountered yet...

Or perhaps she has. I was actually a bit puzzled by the discovery of Christine's hairbrush, since as far as we knew she doesn't even know where Grey lives, never mind keeping possessions in his bathroom. But he did promise that she could ravish him all she liked once they'd made a formal commitment, so maybe Rochard is right in his assumptions.

Very much a bachelor chapter, this, with its cheerful belching, snoring and general untroubled crudities. Realistic but a bit jarring after Christine's PoV - probably more so because this sort of material didn't get published in contemporary novels (and the highly explicit sexual description *certainly* wouldn't have been publishable!), so I'm not used to encountering it in this context...

I note that Rochard is *not* raising his doubts with Grey over Crawley's motives for consenting to the mission, which one assumes he would have done six months earlier. But actively seeking to go undercover into France in order to miss his friend's wedding probably is a little difficult to explain without straining the friendship :-(

The end of this chapter looks to be pretty squarely into M-rated territory to me, and I don't actually think it's necessary for the story: it's pretty obvious where the characters are going without details of every last taut muscle and weighted shaft. In any case you might need to double-check the rating for safety's sake.
Also, I suspect that 'condom' might be an anachronism - isn't 'French letter' the usual term?

(He waited until both men had gone before asking, "how much longer are you going to pretend nothing's going on?") - missing capital on the 'How'
(He watched , his adrenaline surging, as she poured the drinks) - extra space after comma

(When he felt her tugging on the zip at the back of her dress) - centre-back zippers didn't really come in until the 1960s, so far as I'm aware; 1930s and 40s dresses normally have a shorter side opening and/or buttons at the neck.
kpmindc chapter 19 . 5/29/2014
The category of your story is romance but the only character listed is Christine. Hoping the romance is between Rochard and Christine. I wish it was Rochard and Christine in bed together! But wherever you take this story I will continue to read and enjoy. Thanks for sharing your writing.
Sarahturt chapter 19 . 5/28/2014
OMG an update, yessssss! Woo Hoo! Thanks for making my day! Brilliantly written as usual. I can barely wait for the next! :D