Reviews for Calculated Risk
gracerealized chapter 15 . 3/25/2013
Oh I don't know HOW I missed this when you published it, but it was a very nice surprise to find today. Thanks so much for helping me avoid the work that the snowstorm was SUPPOSED to have gotten me out of until the weatherpeople were wrong ... again. ;) Great read, great fun, thanks so much for keeping the Kono/Steve love going, sometimes it's all that keeps me watching is the hope that someday they'll fix it all. Well, that and to stare at that pretty pretty boy. ;) Please keep writing and we'll keep reading and enjoying ... a lot!
quisinart4 chapter 6 . 12/6/2012
Oh gosh, the way he remembers it's been 115 days? HOT. *swoon swoon swoon*!
quisinart4 chapter 5 . 12/6/2012
(When they lead the furious and screaming woman towards the police car, she keeps cursing her husband and the miserable life she had with him, and keeps saying how glad she is for doing what she did, never regretting it for a moment. Her hate filled claims makes Kono flinch a little, and she feels the sweat trickling down her neck. When she takes a peek at Steve he looks somewhat shaken too.)

That's a little chilling, gosh. :( I can definitely imagine that being the worst case for them to work on after they've already talked about their relationship and how they're both uncertain about a future relationship in general. You do a great job of throwing in their work cases and with so few words, having it leave an impact. Great work. :)
quisinart4 chapter 4 . 12/6/2012
(She looks around her and searches for a normal kit among the bunch, a kit which will show a frowning face, an image of a wagging finger, or a neat electronic one which will say "what the hell were you thinking?". Secretly she looks for something appropriate to show Steve, a kit that will say something like "congratulations! you are having a baby seal". There isn't any.)

Omg the "baby seal" one is so cute hehe. And yeah, those other phrases/logos are much more appropriate in her situation but unfortunately the companies don't make that because by the time you're taking the test, too late!

(He feels like a stalker, following after her every move. Every sip of water she takes, every bite of food. Every time she disappears to the bathroom, and he fights the urge to run after her to make sure she's OK, and that the morning's episode is not reoccurring. He watches the calendar, counting the weeks and realize that if he'll continue to focus on her like this for the next seven months, the crime rates on the island will practically be rising.)

Awww :) :) That's so sweet in his own way!
quisinart4 chapter 2 . 12/6/2012
(It's actually better than feeling like an adolescent, which is the other similarity that comes to his mind. He thinks about asking her what she thinks about it, but he's reminded that her adolescence days are much more recent than his. It's somewhat disturbing, actually.)

Hehe, I always love the age comments, makes me grin.

Also, hi, I'm bored work and re-reading this so hope you don't mind random comments showing up in your Inbox!
christinaxa chapter 15 . 11/1/2012
I love the transition from the end of the last chapter (where Kono was yelling at Steve) to being a little more calm right before the baby comes out. I thought it would have been the other way around but this works so well! I loved the moment after where it was just the three of them having some alone time before the whole family barges in. It was so touching when Kono decided to name the baby after Steve's dad, then said they'll have a Hawaiian name for the next one. It's all planned out, I see ;-) I would literally pay money to see a baby on the show just to have the three guys making funny faces at him/her as you put in here! Loved the bonding moments between Steve and little John in the bathtub, plus the comments from various people when the couple tried to take him surfing. Hilarious.

I'm sad this story is over, but I'm definitely looking forward to reading what else you have in store for Steve/Kono fans!
tanya2byour21 chapter 15 . 10/29/2012
I loved the ending and I loved this story. Great writing.
Tanya.
Shani8 chapter 15 . 10/29/2012
How cute! I loved it very much, and I think you wrote the birth scene to perfection! Well done! :)

I'm sorry to see this story come to an end, but I look forward to whatever else you have in the works when it comes to stories. ;)

Thanks for making me smile! BRAVO!

Hugs,
Shani :)
lynnrxgal chapter 15 . 10/29/2012
Awww... great ending!
insomniMANIac chapter 15 . 10/29/2012
*yay* I don't how you do it I can't even multi- task and write two fics at the same so I commend you for that. Uncle Danny was hilarious and it doesn't matter who the baby looks like cause both of his parents are smoking hot. It was a very fitted ending to a fic I really enjoyed reading. *Mckono forever right*
xo
TvFanatic97 chapter 15 . 10/29/2012
I think the way you wrote the birth scene was very plausible...well it seemed it to me (I've never given birth). I'm going to give an extra long review because this is the last chapter

Steve being clueless is just so adorable and hilarious. It was funny (and partly true) how he wasn't really sure where to stand because he didn't know how he was needed in the whole birth thing but I think he did a great job all in all. It was incredibly sweet how (despite his not so impressive start when he first arrived at the hospital at the end of the previous chapter) he was very supportive of Kono and was there for her. It was hilarious how Kono was now telling Dr. Lee she couldn't hold back and that she needed to push, when in the previous chapter she was refusing to go into labour because Steve wasn't there but now that he was there she was ready to get it over and done with.

Aw, the whole scene when Peanut was finally born was just perfect and had me in awe. Steve's awe at was adorable. I laughed out loud when Dr Lee said, "I'm not going to let you cut the umbilical cord. I don't really believe in letting emotionally challenged men running around with scissors around the delivery room..." it was perfect and I agree, if I were in her position I probably wouldn't let him do it either.

I loved it when they finally both got to meet Peanut, it felt like all the madness and chaos that has surrounded this whole pregnancy and their relationship was all worth it as it all amounted to that special moment and it was a very well-written scene and you reflected all this very well!

Kono's maternal instincts kicked in very quickly (not that I'd expect anything else) and it was cute how she ordered Steve to watch the nurse as she cleaned and performed the quick tests. I feel quite sorry for the nurse having to work with Steve's terrifying gaze watching her every move, I'm pretty sure she probably hasn't had to deal with parents like Steve and Kono during her time working in the maternity ward.

You wrote the chaos (and cuteness) of when their family and friends finally got to meet the baby very well and the whole atmosphere of them around was very similar to what it has been like throughout the fic so bravo for your consistency but you also wrote the slight change in tone to the chaos due to the arrival of the baby really well. It was such a nice and sweet gesture for Kono to name the baby John after Steve's dad and Steve's reaction to that was so well written that it was palpable but also in-character.

It's great that Steve is still fairly clueless and is learning as he goes along and he doesn't get everything right, an example being how he took the baby into the ocean...and of course Danny's reactions to these things are always hilarious. It's nice to see him getting it wrong though because it shows a human side to him; it doesn't matter how much preparation he put into this and how many books he read or spreadsheets he made...he'll still get it wrong every now and then (even with Kono, seeing as he called her maternity leave a "vacation"). With all that said it is nice to see him do it right as well, especially with the scene he put John in the bath. That was the most endearing scene I've probably ever read and just picturing it had me in awe and I was aw-ing out loud.

It's lucky for Steve that he didn't have to wait until little John could walk before he could have sex with Kono again. It's hilarious how something ruining the mood (temporarily) or someone interrupting them during sex has been an on-going thing throughout this whole fic and I'm really glad you had it in the final chapter...just to round everything off. It's quite funny how now it's Kono who has everything planned out whereas to begin with it was all Steve, it's definitely a good sign of the character development and how they've grown and changed throughout the fic...kudos to you for that!

That was a lovely ending to an icredible fanfic and it had great promise for their future (with babies that have Hawaiian names). I have truly enjoyed reading this, as I always do with all your fics and thank you so much for writing this. I look forward to any future McKono fanfics you may write!
bushy4 chapter 15 . 10/29/2012
That was a great ending. Bravo!
Lydia chapter 15 . 10/29/2012
I was very sad to say to goodbye to this story, but then you said "until the next one" and it perked me up right away :) I'm no expert since I don't have kids either, but your imaginations and common sense regarding your Steve and Kono make better than good sense to me..

Awwww, you created such a beautiful moment for the arrival of peanut! The moment we've all been waiting for and you didn't disappoint! Every moment was precious and darling, and I was actually in awe reading about how in awe Steve was.. I loved how Kono's mom thought the baby looked just like Kono, even his blue eyes ;) Kono's mom is such an alpha, haha.

I got all misty reading the part where we find out peanut's name. :sniff: Good job, Kono, for being so considerate and loving. I could just tell how grateful and appreciative Steve was by her gesture. I mean, he's been such a good boy (albeit a flawed one, which is better) in this fic and I for one am so happy ;) But I have to say that "vacation" comment was very stupid and ignorant, haha. Good thing he looks like a "world famous male model" or I would've been very upset!

I just knew she couldn't wait until little John was walking to have sex with him like Danny said! That ending! I have no words to describe how beautiful it was! You got me all choked up and emotional! I love the idea of Steve and Kono learning to juggle work and raise a family. It's a bit scary concept knowing how they can be. Ex: "precious criminals"? But despite all their craziness, I know they are going to okay, which makes it easier to say goodbye. What a beautiful story, beautiful ending and beautiful work! You're a marvelous storyteller and I really loved this journey every step of the way. Thank you :)
Lydia chapter 14 . 10/29/2012
I'm SO sorry I'm late! I cannot believe that you managed to write this chapter, the final chapter (T.T) and another one-shot during the busiest work week! Me, I couldn't even manage one review on time! Shame on me. Steve may not be a Superman but YOU truly are a Superwoman! As a penance (it's my pleasure really, haha), I'm going to stay up til I write reviews for all three! Believe me, I'm in McKono heaven :)

The fab four were just fabulous! There are no words to describe how perfect everyone was. Chin was perfect, Danny was perfect and your Steve and Kono, they're always perfect in my eyes :) Seriously, you nailed every character beautifully!

I love how Kono decided she was not ready, so she wasn't having the baby. Wish it was that easy :) Your Steve and Danny scenes were so precious! Each and every dialogue was perfect. Steve, he's like a kid in a store when faced with danger.. the excitement he feels is catching really. And that was such a perfect timing for the baby to arrive.. Steve wrapped up in danger and Kono raving mad coz of his absence.

That moment when Danny was looking up at Steve with his phone pressed to his ear and Steve imitating a circus balancing act.. that was beautiful! I loved that paragraph. And the way he found out Kono was having the baby and how he fell and hurt himself... again, so perfect I could cry :) Btw, I don't know if I ever mentioned it before but it's wonderful the detail and attention you give to their cases. They're not some random cases that you throw in; they are relevant to the story and I'm so impressed!

I love how she handled that young male doctor.. poor guy, haha. Steve being clueless about why she was screaming.. that was cute, really :) And I agree it's all his fault! Not because he got her pregnant, but because she didn't get the pain medication coz she was late waiting for him!
quisinart4 chapter 15 . 10/28/2012
Oh gosh I didn't realize this was going to be the last chapter! :( What am I going to do without updates to look forward to?! You'll have to start another story! This was such a wonderful ending that I don't want to let the story go! I'll have to do a re-read one night but until then, enjoy my way too long and rambling comment to thank you!

(and he wonders what exactly she means by asking him to join them. He would do it gladly, but he honestly can't identify a place in which he can actually contribute.)

Hahaha at least he's smart enough to admit he can't do much but just be there for her hehe. Smart man!

(It's the same color as Kono's hair, and he feels like his heart is going to burst out of his ribcage with excitement and awe.)

That's exactly how I felt reading this part and that sentence is so beautiful, it took my breath away!

(Kono orders him to stay next to the baby, which he does, obviously, watching the nurse like a hawk )

So perfect haha! I can see him focused on that poor nurse hehe. And I just love the family scene with everyone crowded around the baby and Steve not taking his eyes off the little one! And the "Navy school" comment was priceless hehe.

***Kono says "John. John McGareth."

Hate to burst in but typo on the "McGarrett". BUT OMG HAWAIIAN NAME FOR THE NEXT BABY AHHHH! Cannot stop smiling my face off! :D :D

("So how is it?"
"You mean being a father?"
"No, I mean being a world famous male model. Of course I mean being a father." Danny rolls his eyes at him.)

Dead. Just dead. I laughed so hard my sister turned to look at me from the other side of the room hehe. Oh but all this was so wonderful from Steve reading from The Art of War to taking the baby to the ocean and just how precious was the bathtub scene? I honestly cant stop smiling my face off! See Danny, he is a baby SEAL, not just the baby of a SEAL! :D Everyone making baby faces at John when Kono comes into work and Steve calling maternity leave a "vacation" had me dying LOL! sometimes he gets it so very right, sometimes so very wrong!

I can't thank you enough for this chapter of the best moments. You wrote such a lovely vision for their future and I just can't stop smiling my face off while thinking about it. :) Best way to end my day. Thank you for the story and please grace us with more of your work, I am anxiously waiting for it!