Reviews for Taking Chances
KIMMIKY chapter 12 . 11/17/2014
ohhhh bamf Gwen. Multiple uses for chairs! things to sit on, stress relievers and sorceress bashers! I want a set. Gwen and chair, just in case my house gets invaded by evil magic users bent on destruction, i'm sure my home insurance policy would be cheaper if i did!
Guest chapter 12 . 9/2/2014
I hope you're not going to have Merlin running back to save Arthur etc.

And why would Merlin flinch at being called Emrys? It's been almost 10 years that he's been called it and was never shown to have any problem with it.
mersan123 chapter 12 . 8/14/2014
Hey, great chapter. Hoping Gwen catches upto Merlin soon and Merlin is able to save Gwaine. So much happening. With Morgana in Camelot, will Merlin find it in his heart to help?
Many thanks.
Linorien chapter 12 . 8/14/2014
Oh good, he made it to Gwaine.
Guest chapter 9 . 7/18/2014
Arthur looked away briefly. He seemed more worn than before. "You can't blame me for my father's sins."

Why not? After all, did you not sentence someone to death? Did her brother not get killed because of you? Yes, Arthur they did. You are entirely to blame.
Guest chapter 5 . 7/18/2014
"Morgana is plotting again," Gaius continued. "I'm afraid that if you leave, you'll be placing the lives of many of us in danger."

Well Gaius, perhaps it's about time you stepped up instead of expecting Merlin to do everything and to put up with everything. It always annoyed me how Gaius would act as though he knew what was best and should be obeyed by Merlin, even when his actions were wrong. The situation with his old love Alice immediately comes to mind, blaming Merlin for telling Arthur that she poisoned Uther, when Gaius turned in Freya and also Fina (in series 5) without hesitation.
Guest chapter 10 . 7/3/2014
"And part of him, deep down, was afraid of what it would mean. If magic wasn't what he thought it was, then…"

Yep, that's right Arthur - you've gone hunting and killing sorcerers all based on a lie told by your father and that means a lot of people were innocent. You're nothing more than a murderer.

I think we need a Gaius scene, perhaps Arthur asking why Uther said magic is evil and Gaius explaining that it was because Uther needed someone else to blame (other than himself) for Arthur's mother not surviving the magic that he asked to be performed so that he could have a son. That his guilt needed to be taken out on others for not listening to the warnings (we know that both Gaius and Nimeuh warned Uther there would be a cost to using magic to have an heir).

It's about time Arthur found out the full extent of the horrors his father has wrought.
Guest chapter 9 . 7/3/2014
"Arthur's knuckles grew white from his grip on the sword, and his arm was shaking. Merlin waved his hand, and the sword flew out of Arthur's grasp. Arthur's gaze followed it, then he turned back to Merlin, hurt."

Why is Arthur hurt? It's OK for him to threaten Merlin with a sword but OK for Merlin to defend himself by removing the threat? Or is it that he's just finally realised (after the lightening bolt) that he's actually just a man, defenceless and that Merlin is the one with all the power? Arthur has always thought of himself as above Merlin and now he's had it made plain to him that really, he's the one with no power but that Merlin is far above him.

Perhaps that also shows Arthur that Merlin is in fact also a better man, because he *doesn't* use that power to enslave others or to rule over them, whereas Arthur and Uther both used their perceived power to rule. Uther was after all very fond of telling people how he conquered Camelot, that he didn't inherit it. Basically, he's the son of an invader and now Arthur is realising that there are others out there who are better than him and his father because they don't use their power to take over kingdoms.

What a humbling experience, to realise that you're not the better man, the most powerful but actually not a lot better than a tyrant or the son of a tyrant. I so wish all this had happened in the show.
Guest chapter 5 . 7/2/2014

How selfish you are Gaius, to put that on Merlin. Maybe if Camelot doesn't have a magical protector, then it will learn that it needs to free magic so that it can be defended. Why should Merlin protect somewhere that wants him to be killed?
NatashaEmrysCrain chapter 11 . 7/1/2014
I liked that last bit. I really liked that last bit.

Awesome story and so realistic too. A lot of other reveal!fics are too happy with everyone too accepting, despite years of Uther declaring magic this magic that, so it's good to see a fic where everything is fixed overnight and actually has a lot of angst going on.
Linorien chapter 11 . 6/25/2014
Good thing Gwaine can think on his feet, or sitting down, whatever. I'm liking where this is going and I am looking forward to more.
mersan123 chapter 11 . 6/21/2014
Wow. What a terrific chapter. I had wondered what had happened to Gwaine (and now I know!). Loving the story. Wondering if it is time for Arthur to learn of Merlins talents. I do have to admit it is refreshing to had an angry Merlin for a change. As a rule he is too forgiving of Arthur and I am enjoying the way Merlin is reacting to Arthurs actions and attitude.
Love the story. Love the conflict. Love the angst. Love the angry Merlin.
Hope to see more updates soon (hope you don't mind a little bit of begging!)
Rachelle Lo chapter 11 . 6/21/2014
Ha HA! I'm so glad to see you back in the game for this! A truly wonderful chapter. Gwaine is amazing.
Guest chapter 11 . 6/21/2014
Glad that Gwaine wasn't fooled in the end. I'd hate that Merlin would end up with something like his magic gone for Morgana to confront him. He shouldn't need the others to come to his rescue, it's time for them to face each other without artifice or trickery.

Come on Merlin!
Sarah chapter 10 . 4/9/2014
I hope you're going to finish this. It's a cracking story so far.