Reviews for Efficiencies
Hummingbird2 chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
'Year Of Hell' is among my favorite episodes, and you did a fantastic job capturing the characters (especially Tuvok and Seven) and their difficult situation. Thank you!
KJaneway115 chapter 1 . 9/5/2012
Very well done, AF. I thought you really captured both Seven and Tuvok - their understanding of each other, Seven's sort of dispassionate view, tempered with a kind of innocence about life as an individual, her curiosity. Even though she barely shows any emotion, you manage to convey the fact that she is really starting to care about everyone in the crew. Nice answer to the prompt.
badmelk chapter 1 . 9/5/2012
that was really nice :). i think you have seven and tuvok's voices down pat.
Juddysbuddy chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
This was so touching! I especially loved B'Elanna's acts
of not-so-random violence and the wonderful thing Seven
did for Tuvok. Brought tears to my eyes as I was reading
it and again when thinking back on it. Thanks so much!
Ronnie chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
Excellent story! You did a wonderful job with all the characters.

Thanks for sharing.
Cerulean.Phoenix7 chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
You've captured both Tuvok and Seven wonderfully in this. One thing that really stood out to me in "Year of Hell" was how their logical personalities complimented each other, and this was brough out through the closeness that they developed. I always thought that there was more to that (hence my request), and you did wonders with it :D

Seven's logic is infallible, and I love the slight innocence of how she views things. Though extremely intelligent, there are little nuances here and there that she does not quite understand, and you got that, which I really like.

Tuvok, of course, is perfectly done, and you wrote him wonderfully in his loss of sight. Also, someone else asked how he knew that Janeway was smiling (something that I was wondering myself), and you responded that Janeway's voice always grows softer when she smiles. That is an incredibly astute observation.

What I love the most is the simple caring between Seven and Tuvok, how their friendship, even in these dark hours, allows for the little things, these little gestures of kindness and respect that suit them both. And Seven giving this gift to Tuvok, this gift of solitude and control back to him, represents how much she understands his need for that, and I think it represents her own need of that as well, and that is why she understands.

I also love the nods to the other characters, Janeway and B'Elanna in particular.

"The Captain … is the Captain. Always. In a way, she reminds Seven of her former Queen – always in control." - I love it when people draw comparisons between Janeway and the Borg Queen, because those similarities are there, and are chilling in every instance.

"Except that Janeway can be irritable, even irascible at times and exhausted at others, but she continues to make quick and effective decisions regardless. If she does not get enough sleep or nutrition, as the EMH claims whenever he is online, such deficiencies are not reflected in her performance. Her interactions with crewmembers inevitably improve their efficiency; remarkably, Seven has found that even her own performance appears to benefit from speaking with the Captain from time to time. She is beginning to see what Commander Chakotay meant when he once described the Captain as the one that holds us all together, and Seven is convinced that doing so, in turn, sustains the Captain."- Janeway in a nutshell, no matter what comes her way she persists; she does not falter. It is a quality that I both love and admire about her. And Seven is right when she remarks that people's performances benefit from speaking to her. She is the foundation for all of them, and I think that you've captured this beautifully here.

"We may be down, but we're not out." - The PERFECT Janeway line. I love it.

I also love your attention to B'Elanna in this, and how the little things you subtley place here and there represent such critical parts of her personality (the "piss off, Seven" moment is still a classic). And I really love that you used her taking out anger on crippled panels to affect the end of the story. I really love it when authors pay attention to little details like that and use them to their advantage.

In a single phrase: I love it, and I thank you for writing such a wonderful tale :)

CP7
Runawaymetaphor chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
""I will let you have your privacy then, Commander," she says, and silently heads for the door.

But he senses that before leaving the room she turns to watch him. The blade in his fingers begins to travel across his face, slowly and deliberately at first, but increasingly sure of its path.

His head is held high as he faces the mirror he cannot see and allows the silence to enfold him."

One comfort of mature friendship (one that is sometimes hard-wrought) is the knowledge that there are those, waiting for us and watching; even in those instances when visual confirmation of their devotion is rendered an impossibility, whether by mere distance, or, else, personal limitation.
PinkAngel17 chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
That was amazingly well written! So much vivid and wonderful descriptions. The feelings and atmosphere throughout were perfect. Plus I loved the bit about B'Elanna as well as Seven's contemplation about the Captain. The, "It appears that her most recent acts of violence may not have been entirely random" line was absolutely great and just the right amount humor I thought.
angelscatie chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
Great short story. While it is not my favorite people from Voyager, it definitely fits into the universe that you have created. Keep up the good work.
point-blank47 chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
Thought I might actually get in first, but nope.

You've done a very good job of representing both Seven and Tuvok's thought processes - if ever you decide to stray from P/T again, I shall certainly be reading (but then, you know that, don't you?).

I particularly liked/smiled at this bit:

"Vulcans value their privacy," he has told her more than once and she has come to understand that this is a polite way of conveying a sentiment similar to the one Lieutenant Torres once expressed when she told her to "piss off, Seven."
antra chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
I was surprised to see this pairing coming from you but certainly looked forward to it.
Both Tuvok and Seven are interesting characters and their minds are more unlogical and ineffecient than both would to.
I expect both will never acknowledge aloud the real reason Seven did this
Alpha Flyer chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
CrlkSeasons: Janeway's voice always softens when she smiles ... ;-)
CrlkSeasons chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
"His (Tuvok's) hands run along the edges of the console, as if to reassure himself of its dimensions before he can trust his fingers to find their place on the keypad. It is an odd gesture, one that betrays a hesitation Seven has not previously observed in the Vulcan."
You set yourself a task that requires a delicate touch indeed, - injecting emotion into the objective observations of Voyager's two most logical souls. Nice work, very skillfully done.
I do have one question, though. How did Tuvok know when the Captain smiled?
Sweetdeath04 chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
This is wonderful! Such a well written piece! I adore the friendship between Tuvok and Seven and that she basically became his eyes in Year of Hell is so lovely. Great job! You more than did it justice!

SD04