Reviews for The Yin Wife
leneypoo chapter 8 . 5/24
What a really great story. I feel so bad for Chichi. Yes, Goku is the one who tries to avoid killing people, but look at where that got him...dead and refusing to come back because he thinks it'll protect everyone. I can see how that sort of thing would hurt Chi Chi and how she could choose a different way even if it's not a fully conscious decision.

I think my favorites scenes in this fic were not the action ones (though those were good) but stuff like the argument between Goku and Chi Chi over Gohan. And Gohan confronting Chi Chi (though that was really painful...). My thought is that after Gohan gets past the initial anger at his mom, he'll blame himself for not being there to deal with the problem himself w/o all the murder. Pretty sad.
LeChick chapter 3 . 6/19/2014
I know this is about Chichi but I'm finding myself really drawn to your Vegeta. You've captured him very well.
Ren-Bot chapter 6 . 2/2/2013
i love this story!
its nice to see a women (which isnt an alien) actually kick butt
its such a great read, well done
JanellaBround chapter 6 . 11/7/2012
aaaahhh I got here! How could you finish the chapter so? I'll wait until you upgrade, the story is great!
JanellaBround chapter 4 . 11/7/2012
Your story seems interesting! keep reading!, I like the character chichi, I think there are several things you can write it
HISTORY83 chapter 6 . 10/3/2012
j'aime beaucoup ton histoire !
Mais , j'ai vraiment honte de le dire j'ai eu parfois du mal à suivre .
Comment expliquer , j'ai un peu décroché parfois de l'intrigue .
Bon courage pour la suite :-):-)
HISTORY 83
the confessed 12 chapter 6 . 9/30/2012
Sorry I didn't tell you before I'm a girl named Brittany, my parents tell me stuff like don't tell random people you don't know your name or your location and stuff like that. That is why I didn't tell you my name. I'm very grateful you mentioned me I thank you so much. I'm writing to much I'll stop here thanks again.
Bulma3678 chapter 6 . 9/29/2012
Great chapter! The part when Ox-King was there was cool, but did he die? I also noticed you said 'muffin button'. TeamFourStar?
BraBriefs chapter 6 . 9/28/2012
this story is absolutely awesome, don't forget to update, can't wait for the next chapter
kimdc413 chapter 6 . 9/28/2012
I was excited to see the update when I checked my email this morning:) this story is addicting...update again soon!
austin.todd.315 chapter 5 . 9/21/2012
Nice! I enjoyed this chapter alot.
Bulma3678 chapter 5 . 9/19/2012
Wow. Chi-Chi was badass! Update soon!
Alex chapter 4 . 9/19/2012
Argh. I submitted my review before I was wholly done. And now I'm curious. What are the troubling aspects of Bulma's personality you are referring to? I assumed you meant her recklessness and thoughtlessness. I don't think this is that troubling? I mean, there are worse sins to be especially in a fictional framework.

I have this troubling idea that you mean her recklessness and thoughtlessness are problematic specifically BECAUSE she's a mother (with the implications that mothers have to adhere to higher standards of conduct and fit some kind of motherhood ideal). If that's so, that would explain why I was triggered.

If a motherhood narrative calls a mother's personality troubling and ties it specifically to how that personality affects her being a good mother, that is misogynistic. Add in the fact that the troublesome aspects of Bulma's personality fall on what is seen as the masculine aspects of personality. So yeah, a mother who is being criticized for the more masculine aspects of personality and for not being femininely nurturing enough...and oh my god, this is becoming every motherhood narrative I've ever disliked in fiction.

Aaaand I think that's what my issue is with this story because debating the motherhood ideal whilst pitting two types of mothers against each otherand taking a side is a misogynistic narrative.
Alex chapter 4 . 9/19/2012
This is a loooong review of one aspect of your story that troubled me. Please don't take this as a flame because it isn't. If I didn't like your story and your writing, I wouldn't even bother with a review. I'd have dismissed it as ffnet detritus and moved on. Onto the actual review.

The troubling aspects of Bulma's personality and her narrative are what interest me in her. *kanye shrugs* I like that you addressed it but I don't see it as a negative thing in a fictional setting where people who don't know how to be functional (or those who have to evolve in order to be functional) appeal to me more in terms of exploration of character. I feel the same about Chi-Chi and all DBZ characters. Oh, to find PTSD Gohan stories for example. Back to the point.

I find it troubling that a fic focusing on an oft-ignored female character and her narrative has to take a "jab" at another female character especially when it's within the already problematic lens of motherhood narratives. I mean, I get it. The way your story is framed, it has to give weight to Chi-Chi's choices but you can do that without "jabs" at other female characters for essentially failing at motherhood. I was initially really impressed that though this was a Chi-Chi centric tale, you gave equal weight to Bulma and didn't write her as lesser...which is something that I've noticed happens to secondary female characters when a writer focuses on their primary female lead.

It's not a huge deal because in-story, I didn't even see it as a jab; it seemed like a valid reading of Bulma bringing the baby to the battlefield and also her not understanding what it means to have your child fight. It's easy for people to criticize before they become mothers or even when they are untested mothers. So I was totally with you on that.

The author's note, however, got me to take another look and I was troubled by the motherhood narrative (rarely have I ever seen a motherhood narrative done right without offending certain feminist sensibilities) being set up here.

For instance, I find Chi-Chi's choices for Gohan entirely valid - someone had to balance Goku's choices for Gohan - but I don't discount Bulma's viewpoint on the alien nature of the children either. Yes, even if she is an untested mother and even if she was a mother that brought her baby to a battlefield, she can have an opinion to give.

When viewed through the framework of a motherhood narrative where mothers (and women) are pitted against each other in narratives for their maternal choices and when they are being framed as sub-par mothers next to paragons of domestic bliss and maternal perfection,...well's that's problematic. And going back and re-reading your chapters, I noticed this exact problematic motherhood narrative being set-up with Bulma and Chi-Chi. The career woman who bemoans that she's not a real wife next to a near-perfect version of Chi-Chi who is kind, gentle, strong, incredibly self-aware but sadly without the canon foibles that balance her out and make her incredibly human. Surprisingly, your Bulma seems so human ironically because of the jabs you took at her.

Problematizing a character and addressing their issues can often make them more realistic. I say this because while Chi-Chi's choices for Gohan were valid, she wasn't perfect in her extreme reactions or executions of her choice to focus only on her children's humanity. And her extreme denial of her children's alienness is one such problematic aspect of her character that would flesh this portrayal of Chi-Chi out; for now, it seems as if you're legitimizing Chi-Chi's POV and endorsing it without making it clear that she's not wholly in the right either.

I say this because you have Bulma correct herself for her untested mother POV (I don't know if I see Bulma being self-aware enough to do this) but you don't do the same for Chi-Chi for not fully being able to accept the alien nature of her sons and her husband. Perhaps it's coming throughout the course of the story. I say this because I do think that Chi-Chi does change in her viewpoints (so does Bulma) towards the end of DBZ and perhaps you mean to reflect that through the story.

I really did like this story because I rarely get to read Chi-Chi stories that don't write her as a caricature. So I'm probably harsher on this story just because the writing is good. But now that I've noticed this motherhood framework, I find it hard to ignore it especially when it triggers all my real-life feminist issues.
kimdc413 chapter 5 . 9/19/2012
I am honestly enjoying this story:) your doing a wonderful job! Update again soon:)