Reviews for Love is worth the risk
NEGirl chapter 1 . 5/3/2017
Very interesting. I truly enjoyed it and had a clear picture of it all in my mind. Did I see its rating as Mr? Probably not necessary if so...
ericajanebarry chapter 1 . 4/16/2016
I know this is an old story, but I came late to the fandom and even later to writing. I understand the importance of feedback to a writer. I am absolutely besotted with Isobel Crawley. She is my muse. I happen to ship her with Dr. Clarkson, despite canon, but I firmly believe that her marriage to Reginald was one of deep and abiding love.

I adore this piece. It is one of the best I've read in all of DA fandom. Your characterization of Reginald is precisely what I imagine he'd be like, and I also believe you've gotten right to the heart of Isobel/Penelope Wilton. Oh, what must it have been like for those two to deliver their son ... what with all the difficulties she's had (it's funny ... my headcanon for them includes pregnancy loss as well) and all their medical knowledge of what could go wrong.

I love the picture you've painted; that theirs is a marriage of equals, of "taxes and levies," as you so aptly put it. And then Matthew is born, and Isobel is all right, and as two become three, a family is born. Just brilliant, and such a joy each time I reread!
The Masque Doll chapter 1 . 12/16/2013
O, tiny blessing! O, loving parents! This is HIGHLY original.
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 1 . 8/13/2013
I love this! There needs to be more Isobel/Reginald fic out there. :) I love how you made them both people of strong faith, with Isobel's family off to be medical missionaries in India and Reginald losing himself in a prayer of gratitude when Matthew is born. Although we never got much explicit reference to it, I always had the sense that Isobel and Matthew were people of strong faith...the way Matthew loves, and shows grace, and is gentle and kind and long-suffering, and how that kind of love affects Mary, transforming her (or at least freeing her true self from the cynicism and bitterness that she began with)...I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest if his character, especially his strong ethical sense, is derived from a foundation of a deep faith conviction. Beautiful story, thank you!
theMatthewReview chapter 1 . 7/22/2013
O - precious baby Matthew! Thank you for writing this, it was just beautiful.
Lady Etiquette chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
I apologize for not reviewing this story sooner...mea cupla! I loved this fic and your take on Isobel and Reginald Crawley. Your interpretation is just how I envision them! Yes, he would be older, wouldn't he? TA man who dedicated his life to medicine/academia, probably a confirmed bachelor and doctor, and then met Isobel (I had forgotten her father was also a doctor!) And they are a team as much as husband and wife, together in body, mind and spirit (very different from, say, Cora and Robert, or even M/M for that matter.) Isobel and Reginald wouldn't have had all the drama as does the aristocracy...they would have been 'one' with a loving home. Yes, yes... "The husband that longed to save his wife and the doctor that longed to save his patient were once again reunited." ... "Time must have passed without his permission." What powerful and poetic imagery...such vibrant literature! Loved meeting Baby Matthew! Gift of God (...and Dan Stevens is sort of God's gift as a hottie, isn't he?) So sweet. A tiny version of both Isobel and Reginald...the best of both. So touching! I know we have talked about Reginald and Isobel and I think your take on them is spot on. Scrumptious! Thank you! :)
Avivush chapter 1 . 9/15/2012
What a wonderful story!
Pemonynen chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get round to this! I know we've talked about Reginald a lot, and he is exactly how you've described him to me. :) I especially loved how he compartmentalised his life - Reginald the husband, and Doctor Crawley, because how else could he cope?

And BABY!MATTHEW. I ACTUALLY CANNOT. TOO ADORABLE. And the references to the siblings that weren't. :( *Sniffs* And I LOVED that her family had moved to India so they were all each other had, really lovely touch. Basically, this is exactly how I imagined it to be after everything we've talked about. :) Wonderful work. :)
darkblueyank chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
Thank you so much for giving us a Reginald Crawley. I so often wonder how/if Julian Fellowes imagines him or his marriage with Isobel. It does seem to fit that he would be older and that Matthew would be the couple's last chance for a child.
R. Grace chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
Such a sweet, touching story. It's wonderful to see what Matthew's father might have been like and see all the little ways his father shaped who he is when we meet him in the show. Well done. :)
CoffeeEveryday chapter 1 . 9/5/2012
Very good! Please write more! Maybe with a 5 year old Matthew :)!