Reviews for One of the Most Beautiful Things
LucyLuna chapter 1 . 1/7
I read Green Gables as a kid and have watched that new series of it they have on Netflix (the two feel very different in a lot of ways, but Anne is still a charming character in both) so I was curious to see what this would be like and what I'd learn about Anne's future.
It was sad to learn she lost a baby. But I like that she and Gilbert overcame that and had Jem. At first, I thought her trouble with nursing came solely from Joy and the guilt she feels you alluded to at the start. It seems like enough, I think, to really screw with a person if they really believe a mother's milk is as wonderful for a baby as Anne does.
I think you did well describing how she deals with the sense of shame leading up to the revelation. Trying to feed Jem bottle when possible and putting him down even when he's nursing because she just can't handle the feeling of wrongness she's experiencing.
The way you opened the scene with the Hammonds I really enjoyed. I liked how very "now" it felt, instead of it being a dream or a memory. Like the part about her gasping when her feet hit the cold floor. The thing Mrs. Hammond did in this was really disgusting. Like, I think that could count as some kind of sexual abuse. No matter how tired you are, you shouldn't turn your foster kid into a living pacifier.
Anne realizing she buried it and possibly other, similar incidents after she wakes was interesting and I like how you had her expecting more shame when she went to take care of Jem, but, instead, it was alright and she felt okay about nursing her son now that she understood where her shame came from in the first place.
Astrakelly chapter 1 . 2/10/2016
Just read this today, its really very good and frankly I agree with you that Montgomery would have wanted Anne's past to be up to the reader. I've read the prequal and its fine but I really didn't like it and don't see it as cannon, it just doesn't seem like something Montgomery would have written plus it just feels un-anne like
Connwaer Heap chapter 1 . 11/12/2015
This is really sad, poor Anne. I like ke how you wrote this, it's a lot like the books themselves.
Anne-Marie chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
Wow. That is something I could see happening in the movie version, they really did treat her poorly. An interesting idea, and well written.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/13/2012
I really enjoyed this story. Thank you for sharing it.
edwardfiend chapter 1 . 10/11/2012
I really enjoyed this story.
pleaseexplain chapter 1 . 9/11/2012
Its confusing, but cool
Azalea.Rose chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
I love this story, it's so well written.
SpangleyPony chapter 1 . 9/8/2012
Great story :-)
TLWtlw chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
Just one thing. The baby's nickname was always spelled Jem in the books, not Jim.