Reviews for Variations on a Theme, with Tank and Gunfire
mllememoire chapter 23 . 2/26
I just reread this for the 3rd or 4th time and it's still fantastic. Thanks so much for writing and posting it for us to enjoy!
Jack the Sparrow chapter 2 . 2/18
You know; I can genuinely say I did not see that coming, and I don't know whether to be disappointed with myself or not.
soheil.nilavari2 chapter 23 . 2/12/2020
Wow. That was beautiful and fascinating. Shakarian till the end of time
bale626 chapter 23 . 5/2/2019
Clearly a much better ending to the story than the crap-ilogue. Nicely done.
Guest chapter 23 . 1/14/2019
Wow, this is unique and clever fanfiction. It repeats the events of the canon but it looks fresh though a bit transient. I wonder why Garrus and Shepard met. United hearts? :)
However, this work deserves more attention. Thank u very much!
P. S. Sorry for the pain in the eyes that my English can cause :)
tobias foxdemon chapter 23 . 12/20/2018
I first read this story over at archive of our own, but reviewing it here since I have an account here.
I gotta say, this was an immensely satisfying read.

Earlier this month I finished ME3 for the first time and was immensely frustrated with the ending (even with the extended cut ending downloaded). My first reaction was to shoot the catalyst kid on a whim because I thought that maybe it would disable or destroy the reapers in an alternative way much like you write in your story. Much to my surprise shooting the kid triggered the refusal ending and left me feeling heartbroken and wracked with guilt, like I had abandoned my team, my friends, the entire galaxy. I ended up reloading my save and went with the destroy ending (because control ending siding with the Illusive Man, and synthesis siding with Saren in my mind). I felt frustration that Legion's sacrifice was in vain, because somehow the mass relays could be "fixed eventually" according Admiral Hackett, but EDI and the Geth were dead permanently. (Besides, why have a deux ex machina ending that explains the reaper's origin and motivations? I thought that it was "beyond our comprehension" and that they were "infinite"?)

... Frustrated rambling aside... reading your story validated my thoughts, and reading about Shepard's experience in the loops was delightfully meta, like Shepard was playing and replaying the game and feeling as frustrated as I did. Your ending solved the ending of ME3 because the ending in the game was missing the most fundamental aspect of the entire series: teamwork. Shepard would have never succeeded in anything without the crew of the Normandy, without the the loyalty of her comrades and allies. I really wish that your ending where Shepard and her team comes together to defeat the reapers once and for all on their terms was a possible ending in the game.

Thank you for writing this! It's going in my favorites!
The Apocryphal One chapter 23 . 11/10/2018
Now THIS is the fix-it I needed. The time loop is handled well, the ending is perfectly sappy and happy, the characterization is spot-on, I love all the changes to the plot, I don't think there's a single thing I DON'T love about this fic. My gosh, the team standing WITH Shepard at the end, all using their talents to break the time loop? That's a beautiful mental image. And of course her relationship with Garrus was just aghalghaieotgh sweet and surprising (HE missed the shot on purpose! or what about the sudden "marry me"? That first reunion?). I love this so much, thank you for writing it.
Gone Wanderlust chapter 1 . 10/18/2018
10 outta 10
Orange et Blue Morality chapter 1 . 6/29/2018
This is still one of the best time-loop Mass Effect fics I've read and yet I've just noticed I haven't left a review here at all (I'm fixing that now). The characters are spot on, for one, and the increasing desperation that Shepard felt as she went around again and again is all-too-real. For all it's shortness, I didn't even notice that. It's just so self-contained, brief with the details but without actually failing to describe the important parts - the characters' motivations, thoughts, doubts, the reasoning behind their action.

Shepard _feels_ like Shepard; her highly-skilled no-nonsense, professional self a thick armour for the fact that she does actually care about the people around her. Also, Garrus. I don't care whether there was a romance or not between them in a ME fanfic, but if they're not good friends who have each other's back, I'm always highly disappointed. That is definitely not the case here.

I'm still cursing the death of Mordin, though, even if I can understand why the path is the one that ended up being true in the story.

Anyway, great story, and thanks for uploading!
bmsnakia361991 chapter 23 . 3/24/2017
I loved that story. Excellent work. I personally have only made it through the first part of me3 but I've watched my husband play through it so the only surprise was udina and cerberus XD. I told my husband what was going on in the story (something he usually hates) but he seemed to enjoy this.
Ash Lee Brodford chapter 22 . 3/22/2017
omg this was such a good read even on a second time through!
Ash Lee Brodford chapter 23 . 11/21/2016
OH. MY. GOD. This was so awesome and amazing and magnificent and perfection, a real masterpiece of storytelling. And the horror of living the same 3 years over and over for poor Garrus. He and Jane fought the Reaper war for 39 YEARS! At least Jane was out for 2 of those years every reset. That's what I love about time loop fic, the author can really do some awesome character development and relationships. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Monki-Neko chapter 23 . 10/15/2016
At first I thought this was just going to be a really long drabble series but it turned into an epic space opera with the best happy ending I've read so far! Love it!
sherndon86 chapter 10 . 7/19/2016
This is a fun story. I'm enjoying your work. I always love to see New Game type stories. Looking forward to continue reading it. I'm also working on a story if you want to check it out.
VGirl7553 chapter 23 . 3/14/2016
Was looking for a story with a plot similar to this. Then I found yours and I am glad I did. I am even more glad I did after I read it because it is really well written and an excellent story. I love the concept and I love the writing and it is just well done overall.