Reviews for When the War Came
arethosedustyjumpwings chapter 20 . 8/14
Another devastatingly perfect chapter from the master of angst and tension! It absolutely kills me that Jo is left to wake up alone, and even more so that she blames herself for it. Just... THESE KIDS. I just want them to be locked in a room together so they can talk about their feelings and then, preferably, kiss. A lot.
I loved this bit: "She can't help but think, as she follows him into the mess, how the bad never stays bad with him. It melts, so easily, back into all right, into comfortable, into good. Into walking together and sitting down and knowing that they can still just be themselves. When there's nothing else, they can still just be themselves." Obviously they need to discuss some stuff (see paragraph above, ahaha) but they KNOW that, despite everything, they are at one with each other. They know that they know each other and that they'll be okay.
Loved loved loved the Paris scenes - "It wears its battle scars uneasily, bricks and withered autumn flowers and wrought iron a quiet change of scenery from the Dutch countryside." - and the bit about her swallowing back the bile and writing, because that's what she must do, she must tell the story. (Intentional or not, nice foreshadowing to Landsberg, btw).
Thanks for breaking my cold dead heart with that ending! And thank you for this story, darling: we both know we've struggled and sighed and wanted to quit with both our stories, but it's honestly worth it to get to read your writing and what you've done with this gorgeous, heartbreaking, perfect show that means so much to us. Love and kisses, darling!
arethosedustyjumpwings chapter 19 . 8/12
WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN
I would like to rehash all the lavish praise I heaped on you when you were writing this chapter because you so deserve it. It's well-written, well-paced, and just lovely how the climax of the chapter (ahem... no pun intended) is enough of a surprise to be satisfying to read, but still has a sense of inevitability in the wider arch of the story.
I love all the little threads in this chapter and how they all interconnect and play off each other. I love the Brits! I love Tab's cameo (oh /honey/), and the juxtaposition of Jo and Frankie's position with regards to the men they love. The only point I would make is about the merit of line breaks, but it's hardly a pressing concern.
(Just realised I need facecasts for those Brits, stat: they're all so wonderfully chipper and I love them...)
arethosedustyjumpwings chapter 18 . 8/12
I am absolutely in love with the Tab and Smokey cameos in this. MY BABES.
This chapter is really well-paced, and - apart from the back-down-to-earth-with-a-bump shock of the ending - a little lighter than the previous few, which offers a welcome respite! Your covering of the Eindhoven scene was so cute: the flowers! the troopers more anxious to exercise charm than to fight the war! Nix! the photo! So so lovely.
That last little section was brilliant too - the faster pacing and Jo's reaction to Joe's wounding and everything. It's fast and gritty to match the situation - something you do so well. Much love, darling!
arethosedustyjumpwings chapter 17 . 8/12
So, once again, obviously I am the worst - /The Worst/ - for forgetting to review these last few chapters! Especially since I am in love with them/ your writing/ you.
I love the melancholy of this chapter, its eerieness, its sense of... unreality (if that's even a word). You can really understand how Jo must feel, trying to come to terms with everything but not being given time to, and trying to settle back into a routine but not even feeling like she's living it out.
But most of all I love that section in the pub, for the way you've managed to capture hyper-reality but also that feeling of things being seen through a veil - rather like being drunk, only Jo's not drunk despite the beer she's had. And then that not-quite-kiss and the talk with Bernard (which, incidentally, is placed perfectly to kind of explain Jo's hesitancy and what she didn't say to Joe). Just... boy, you really feel for Jo in this one.
(I would add a string of hearts here but this website doesn't like them I think. So consider this sentence a substitute for aaall the heart emojis and weeping faces)
GumihoGold chapter 17 . 5/9
You seriously write beautiful moments. Those minutes in the hallway leading to the kiss was just so easy to imagine and so suspenseful and I couldn't help but just hold my breath while I was reading! Wonderful job :)
I only recently started reading BoB fan fiction so I don't claim to be an expert I just wanted to say I love the character you've created and the ways in which she has grown over the chapters.( I read them all in 1 day) Really looking forward to the next chapter!
Shatteredxo chapter 20 . 10/5/2015
This is really good!
HipCheckChick chapter 20 . 10/3/2015
I was so excited today to see a notification for this story! This is one of my favorites. I love Joe and Jo! So awesome can't wait to see what happens between the two of them.
drovingallday96 chapter 19 . 6/3/2015
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to read some more because Jo and Joe are such a cute couple. They compliment each other perfectly!
Guest chapter 19 . 6/1/2015
DUDE. DUDE. You are brilliant. Not just because I am fangirling and giggling like a schoolgirl over that ending, but because you are actually an incredible, incredible writer. I can't even put it into words myself. You've really got it. xx, Leslie
HipCheckChick chapter 19 . 6/1/2015
So good. So glad they finally got together!
KatyCru chapter 16 . 6/1/2015
write more!
cchickki chapter 18 . 3/21/2015
Sorry for not reviewing right away, I've been super busy lately!

I loved the part when Easy Company was in Eindhoven. I hope they'll be able to get a copy of the photograph. Poor Joe, I hope Jo won't be too distressed, he'll be back!

Keep up the good work :)
Luckynumber28 chapter 18 . 3/1/2015
love. love. love. love. loooooooooooooove.

Ok, whew now that's over with... where do I start?
Some of the excerpts in this story read like poetry.
You intensely captured the jump on D-Day while keeping the reader personally involved with the character.
Your approach is sensitive to the original characters, you avoid making them into caricatures.
To be honest, this is one of maybe three stories in BoB fanfiction on here that I actually enjoyed.
PLEASE don't stop...if you can help it of course.
drovingallday96 chapter 18 . 3/1/2015
Wow, this chapter was a ringer for the emotions! This was beautiful writing though!