Reviews for Flying Solo
missingmikey chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
Another great story! The happy family life just ahead of what's to come. Really nicely done!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
Aww, that was so sad and beautiful at the same time because it shows how much they all lost when Mary was killed. Nothing can make up for the loss of a mother's touch. Nice job.
Victoria chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
Another awesome story from before things went so bad! The Winchester's were such a happy little average family. You capture all of them so perfectly. I love your stories! I love the pictures you paint with your words! I wish there was a TV segment of your pre-stories to go along with the kick-ass series. Thanks for your continued works.
Kirabaros chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
Very nicely done. Nice showing John trying to deal with his two boys who are being little boys and Mary out for girl's night.

I like the thoughts she kept to herself because of her past that she kept from John. Nice set up for what is to come.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
As Sammy is 6 months old in this story then it sounds like Mary burning on the ceiling will be happening that night. Just loved the slice or normal you gave us with John having so relieved to have his wife home and take over half the bedtime duties of their children, having found it so difficult coping himself! Such a pity that tragedy lay ahead courtesy of the deal Mary made 10 years before to save John.
Veni0Vidi0Vici chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
["Thank god you're back."] Most of the time when someone is thanking God they're expressing thanks to a person kind of. Phrases like "Thank God," "in God we trust," or "God bless you" treat "God" like a proper noun, no matter the meaning. You might want to capitalize the G in the name.

[John growled in tired frustration and briefly ducked his head; wiping his wet cheeks and forehead across the sleeve of his shirt before glancing over his shoulder at the familiar voice; relief evident in his expression and tone at the sight of his wife.] This like many of your sentences is . . . really long. A bit of a run-on, I would say. A semi-colon conjoins two related sentences that stand on their own as complete sentences or is used in place of a comma when many commas are already used for other purposes. You’re being overly generous with your semi-colons and skimping on the periods and commas. The trick to using a semi-colon is *don’t* if you don’t understand how to use it or are unsure whether one would work there or not. Rephrase so that you use a comma and a period to the best of your abilities.

["How's my munchkins?"] I don’t think this grammar mistake could be justified by it being the dialect of Mary. It should be “How’re/How are my munchkins?”

["Mommy!" Dean yelled excitedly and then beamed up at his mother. "I'm helping give Sammy a bath."] His yelling seems rather sudden. If he was that excited to see his mother, then he probably would have yelled “Mommy!” whenever he first laid eyes on her.

The overwhelming sweetness of this one-shot was well done. You painted a picture of an “apple pie life” that both Mary and John enjoyed. I love how you explored their relationship and perhaps added something to it: a bit of concrete into the stuff of Supernatural’s most unexplored stories.
I grew warm, fuzzy, and tingly as I read this, overlooking the grammar mistakes for the picture you painted and the way you portrayed John and Mary. You could see them as any other couple, really, just as loving and close to each other. Yet, I personally, couldn’t help but feel dread for these characters as I knew something that they didn’t – how their love story would end.
It’s a well-crafted piece, with a reoccurring flaw, but an enjoyable story to read nonetheless. I think that you have a lot of potential – especially in writing these sweet little stories.
I liked it!
~Veni of LawlClan Critic Group
PenAndInkPrincess chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
...oh my goodness! You manage to make the cutest stories end leaving the reader with a melancholy hollow in their chests. I must study your technique! It's amazing, and it leaves you thinking.

Fave! (Yet again!).
bgeesfan chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
Wow. I follow you as an author because your stories are so good. This one, though...this one really was terrific. I love how you ended it and that Dean was already helping with Sammy before she died, making his transition to raising Sam more natural (as natural as raising at baby at the age of 4 can be).

Your stories never cease to amaze me! Please keep writing!

bgeesfan