Reviews for Bremerhaven
Lauren chapter 15 . 6/10
Such a clever fic. Hope you post more soon.
Tara chapter 15 . 4/5
I love the morose atmos you've created in this story. Very dark. It's like I'm in the middle of a war zone with Georg and Maria. Hope you update soon. Need to get our couple to a happier place after their ordeal.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 15 . 4/4
Well that was an interesting turn of events. I do quite like the idea of Georg knocking the driver out (maybe because he didn't throttle the Admiral).
And he is once again, trying to make it easy on her, which only makes her more annoyed. But I do like the fact that even after everything they've been through, in the middle of the war, on the run, they can find some peace.
This was a very unique and intense, but definitely amazing story.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 14 . 4/4
Yikes! That ending was just awful (from the Admiral that is; I certainly wanted Georg to throttle him). But of course he doesn't just insult Georg, he's got to send Maria off to France with him, of course under the threat that he misbehaves and she's gone.
I love the idea that they have a little routine sorted out. And the way you explained his journey there was brilliant; it felt like it hurt, and it gave him time to reflect on all the horrors of the war.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 13 . 4/4
Oh my goodness. So many feels!
The despair they both felt was great; with her desperate for him to wake up, and him desperate for the pain to end.
I also loved the gradual nature with which this chapter was written. First he wakes up, then it's the oxygen mask gone, then it's the bedpan, then it's him starting to feed himself. It really made it seem believable.
I loved Maria's line about only the patients she cares about, and then when Georg's apologising it's 'only the ones I love'
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 12 . 4/4
Maria throwing herself into her work now that Georg is gone was perfect, and had an even bigger impact when he arrived. I love the idea of the Admiral putting him under her sole care.
And of course, everything that went through her mind as she cleaned him up, from cleaning a body that she knew, to the rings as a symbol for her uncertainty of her place in his life even now.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 11 . 4/4
Oh yes, another cruel cliffhanger, but you explained everything very well. His determination was clear.
I love the idea that he entrusted the poetry to Maria; and that to him it was much more of a diary. And I'm glad she was on the pier to see him off, but also that that's all it was; they didn't talk, he just saw her from where she was standing,.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 10 . 4/4
The comparison of Maria being a wildflower is brilliant! Especially in this chapter; you certainly took the theme and went all the way with it.
Anna pointing out what is probably going to be the harsh truth, but also accepting and acknowledging Maria's feelings was great, as was her wariness when she was with Georg. I liked how he told her it was okay for her to cry, and begged him to let her in.
And the dancing. What a bittersweet farewell.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 9 . 4/4
Another amazing chapter.
The fact that they haven't talked about the children; the one topic that always seems to be the most prominent is very interesting. I can totally see Georg having this reaction in this context, as well as seeing Maria wondering if it really was all her fault.
The fact that he asked her to do exactly what Agathe asked of him was especially strong, and Maria's response was perfect.
I just hope it doesn't have to come to that...
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 8 . 4/4
Beautiful. Just beautiful.
In the horrors of war you sometimes need moments like these. Love the mentions of things like schnitzel and noodles. The fact that she wants a place to escape to and be herself is great, and of course Georg would do just that.
That final section when they were there was incredibly powerful. The way his gift was perfect because he knew her was great, especially when contrasted with the fact that she was always an after-thought. I'm so glad he finally told her he loved her, and the fact that she didn't say it back right away, but they both knew she felt it.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 7 . 4/4
Loved the chapter.
Their parallel thoughts on seeing each other again was wonderful; I'm glad that they can both sort out their feelings, and I thought it played in very nicely to the end where Georg left it all up to Maria about whether they would see each other again.
The scene in the hospital was very nice too, with Johannes watching them, and Georg's 'big boy' line when Maria told him it would sting.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 6 . 4/4
That paragraph about his time with Maria and how they related to him not reporting immediately was amazing. Of course he can't say that to the Admiral though, but I'm glad it was in the story.
His breakdown in the bathroom was great as well; especially how you addressed that while he is upset at his punishment, he can see it was justified.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 5 . 4/4
This was intense!
I love how Georg was so protective of her, getting her into the trench and then make sure she's alright. Using the whiskey to bring her back to consciousness was great.
And then they jumped straight back into actions, because duty calls. And when they did, their thoughts about one another were still visible
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 4 . 4/4
Oh yes, very cruel, but up until then it was lovely.
I loved how she was so confused and unsure about what to tell him, that in the end everything came out just as it should. The line about her being bad at following rules, but still liking them was very interesting.
I also liked how he still proposed to Elsa, and then broke it off even though she didn't return. It made for a wonderful comparison of how they both seem to run.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 3 . 4/4
This chapter was wonderful.
I loved Johannes one-sided conversation with Maria; I'm glad he mentioned Georg's situation with the Baroness.
The return of Georg pulling on his gloves and how he cut in much the same way as when they danced the Laendler. I also enjoyed that they quickly grew comfortable around while not having the very first moments be perfect.