Reviews for Courage
Imagination that chapter 17 . 9/18/2014
Yep have fun with that whole time travel bit, because it was even hard to wrap your head around in the game. My personal favorite being the Song of Storms, you learned the song from guru who learned it from you. Any way great chapter and I like how you made it so they don't have to go back to the temple every time Link needs to time travel. Also you did a good job on building up the redeads' abilities for freezing people. I imagine you're doing that for future battles kinda psyching your character out in a way, if that makes sense.

Anyway good job and I look forward to future updates.
The Unplanner chapter 17 . 9/18/2014
Yep, time travel is the last resort. No amount of defenses should require time travel to bypass. All you'll do is create a mess of plotholes, and worse, paradoxes. We still don't know how, in Majora's Mask, Link can keep the Hero's Bow but not the Arrows, the Wallet but not the Rupees, and what happened to all the loops before the last. Was everyone saved in one of the loops saved by the breaking of the loop during the last? At the Dawn of a New Day, has Romani been kidnapped by alien cow thieves? Anju and Kafei manage to get married during the staff roll, so I assume all the good outcomes happen after the last loop. There is no way to save Anju's marriage and Termina simultaneously-actually, you have to do that twice, to get the Postman's Hat OR the Couple's Mask. But you should definitely have both before fighting Majora, even though having them both is a paradox. Ouch, and my last complaint about time travel is that my brain isn't wired for multiple dimensions (beyond three) or time travel. Just thinking about that kind of mechanic hurts my head...
The Unplanner chapter 16 . 9/18/2014
So, that's what the Shadow Temple meant. "Shadow Temple... Here lies Hyrule's bloody history of greed and betrayal..." I thought the developers would never explain that, and lo and behold, here's the first plausible explanation I found. Of course, Skyward Sword said that Sheikah are a separate race, created by and for the goddess. Even then, Impa was the last survivor, and she disappeared without leaving an heir, so the Sheikah in other games must be a separate people. I like your explanation of what happened since then better than the usual BS that game developers use to try to tie every single event back to the Legend (of Zelda). Capcom is a major offender; none of their explanations of Megaman X are even consistent with their other explanations of Megaman X. At least Nintendo has consistency when it deals with plotholes.

As a side note, I noticed that you've clearly resized the map of Hyrule. Ordinarily in Ocarina of Time, you could cross the whole of Hyrule Field in one in-game day, though not necessarily in time to catch the drawbridge at Castle Town. Travel time is expanded quite a bit here. I liked how some survivors went to other places (like Lon Lon Ranch) in your story, too.
The Unplanner chapter 13 . 9/18/2014
Having read to this point, I'd say Malon is pretty well written. Sorry for not reviewing previous chapters: I found this story today and wanted to read it before my iTouch's battery ran out. As for Sheik, you did well with the character. "He" evokes Impa from Eldin Province in Skyward Sword-that jerk you'd like to punch if they weren't perpetually right about everything. Way better than the emotional manipulation Zelda uses in that game.
KhanQueso chapter 17 . 9/17/2014
Good luck with time travel; its tricky. However, I think you have saved yourself some trouble already by limiting Link's ability to alter the past. As a further aid, I recommend establishing a list of rules for time travel and make sure Link does not break them. You don't have to put the rules in the story, they just need to work behind the scenes to prevent any time travel plot holes.

I have spotted one potential problem; Link does not appear to have a way to return from the past. The master sword disappears when he arrives in the past, and he only came back to the present because the goddesses kicked him out. If he didn't try to change the past he would be stuck in it.

I feel that time travel should have a role in the story. Link is the Hero of Time after all; some time travel is expected.
Darcie11 chapter 17 . 9/17/2014
It's in the ocarina of time verse, of course time's going to be relevant. Actually it's sort of relevant in most Zelda games come to think of it. Don't worry about it, it's your story. Whatever you need for the story to progress. I don't mind one bit.

What's going on with Kakariko? I'm nervous about finding out what happened to it.
Great writing, as always!

LK
Awakening5 chapter 16 . 9/16/2014
I can't believe it's taken me so long to finally read this story! I've been wanting to do it for a while now, but I wouldn't have time, and then I'd forget. But I'm glad I got around to it!

First, I must point out how much your writing has improved over the course of the story. Your pacing, or perhaps plotting, grows so much. Initially, I just kept wondering when we would meet Zelda or when Link would start to make real progress. By the most recent chapter, I may be looking forward to Zelda, but I'm not terribly concerned with when she shows up. I've grown to care about Link and understand where he is as the hero. I love Sheik-especially when I peer into his head.

What's great about Sheik, too, is that I'm not sure if it is Zelda or not. Whether he is her disguise or not, I've found that I'd be excited either way. Whereas most stories I read, I prefer Sheik to be Zelda. If your Sheik is Zelda, then you've got a lot of interesting places to go with her character-how she truly feels about Link and his spurned duty, how she is able to hide her emotions so well, how she reacted to Malon was peculiar indeed.

If Sheik is his own person, then I love the character and look forward to meeting Zelda, too.

In any case, I eagerly await more, and hope that this story gains the traction that your others have, because it has turned into something great!
Darcie11 chapter 16 . 9/7/2014
Bonding time!
Both their stories are actually somewhat depressing, especially Link's since the whole incidence could have been avoided. If only he had listened... (I never listen to Navi either heh heh). We never do hear the full story of the Sheikah do we? I like your version of it. I just wish they hadn't all been wiped out.
KhanQueso chapter 16 . 9/4/2014
I like your interpretation of Sheikan history. I never thought of them as tragic before but considering that there are only 1-2 in a game, it makes sense.

I usually stick with the theory that the Twili descended from the Sheikah. The Sheikah found in the games were spared from the Twilight Realm on an individual basis, presumably because they were serving the goddesses instead of trying to subvert them.

I had forgotten about Navi entirely until you brought her into the story! It makes sense that she should appear in the story; as far as I can tell Link's history prior to leaving the Kokiri Forest is the same in your story as in the game. (I might assume too much!)
Imagination that chapter 16 . 9/4/2014
Interesting backstory for the Sheikah, it's always nice when authors create their own origins and story for them because as you said the Sheikah part is left very obscure in the games. I also like how you showed the bond with Link and Navi but put in her death; I'm guessing that was done so you didn't have to write her into the story too much and you can give Link a bit of tragedy. Great job.
Imagination that chapter 15 . 9/1/2014
I stumbled across this fic and I have to say I'm enjoying it immensely. In truth there are few OoT fictions that I like well enough to read through but yours has thus far kept me intrigued. It has a nice balance of story line, originality, action, and comic relief (irrational fear of cuccos was a personal favorite). I look forward to where you next take this story, good luck and keep at it.

Later
KhanQueso chapter 15 . 9/1/2014
Oh snap! Sheik finally lost his cool! I wonder what was in the letter. I'm assuming there is some trouble with the Master Sword, but is that enough to make him snap on its own? I know that he gets angry inside, but he has been very good at keeping a mask on so far.

I am curious about Sheik and Zelda's relationship. Are they the same person or not? I suspect that they are the same person; Sheiks thoughts in his conversation with Malon are probably the strongest indications of this. Assuming they are the same person, I wonder if Sheik's spite towards Link in the first few chapters was more theatrical on his part, or an actual reflection on what Zelda thought of Link.

I suspect answers (or at least tantalizing clues) are coming soon!
Darcie11 chapter 15 . 9/1/2014
Yay! You updated! So so happy!
I like the tension in the group. No one seems to like Sheik - which has me all depressed because I love him - and if he is in fact Zelda (which I'm still hoping for) that'll just make things more complicated, which makes this story scrumptious!
I hope you can balance working on two stories at once, because I'm looking forward to both this one and Forged!
LK
Drika-Veras chapter 14 . 8/25/2014
I wonder how his face will be like when he discover that Sheik is Zelda xD Because until now he basically curse every step he/she make.
Good to know that you won't give up! Even if you shorten the story a bit is better than let it unfinished :)
KhanQueso chapter 14 . 8/24/2014
I read Strangers a short while ago (definitely a good read) and decided to check out your other works; I am glad I did.

I feel that this story has solid pacing and a good ratio between narrative and dialogue. The characters are believable and I find myself interested in your OCs, particularly Landon and Trenton (normally I care little for OCs). I hope that they retain some importance in the story even as Link rises to his full potential.

I also appreciate the spin you've taken on OoT. I enjoyed the game's story, but I find that it translates poorly into writing when the adventure is retold step-by-step. I am glad to see that is not the case here.

As a final note, your story is worthy of so many more reviews than it has received. I have read stories with hundreds of reviews that impress me less than this one. I hope Courage will gain the traffic it deserves soon.
59 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »