Reviews for Iconography
MCH chapter 1 . 4/6/2013
I just found this and I'm so pleased I did. It a short piece in which you cover a lot of Narnian time and history. The way you weave the story into all of the history is lovely from the highest of people Kings and Queen's and talking animals to the lowest of Narnia's inhabitants.

You covered the applewood use in remembrance as with Susan and her arrows. In adventure Jill in the Last Battle, to making ships figureheads - Dawn Treader.

The good the apples are put to travel shelters, a shelf in their house good luck for wedding and for the blessing of children. Then the evil when Shift used it to build the stable. But the tree of protection won that out over Shift in the end as it held the New Narnia within it.

Your ending is very good as Peter shut the stable door shutting off the eternal dark winter death while it protected the life on the other side of the door - eternal life.
HecatonchiresLM chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
A beautiful idea
Starbrow chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
This was a great use of the iconography of apples as a life-giving symbol of creation and fruitfulness, with wonderful ideas of how the wood might have been used throughout the history of Narnia. The sense of time passing is quite epic, as you include the very beginnings and endings of Narnia, with lovely imagery from both. I loved the implicit culture you give them, with the wayside shelters and the weddings and the homes using applewood furniture.

I'm surprised I didn't see any mentions of the Wardrobe, as it was made from the tree of the apple seed, was it not? (Forgive me if I missed it somehow in my initial reading!). I've always wondered if it smelled like applewood inside...

A lovely, LOVELY fic. Thank you.
Miniver chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
This is beautiful! When I saw your summary, I started thinking about apple references in the books, and of course I came up with Prince Caspian and The Magician's Nephew, but that was about it. The way you threaded the apple motif through Narnia's entire history, in large details and small, is both inventive and true to Narnia. The everyday uses of apple trees and their parts, in times of peace and war, add to the vision of Narnia as a complex and fully developed society. My favorite part is probably the last door of all, which Peter closes, and then the description of the Tree still standing in Aslan's Country. The ideas are splendid, but they work so effectively because of the beauty of your writing.
jeun chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
I love how you made a thread with the apple themes and have that thread connect to different parts of the seven books.
I especially liked 'When the Tree of Protection fell..' to '..so perhaps the rhymes were true.'
This part had a fairytale like feel to it.
Sorry I can't explain myself better than this.
Clio1792 chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
A very lyric piece; a poem-in-prose-with a great title, too!

Seemed to this reviewer that everything "worked" here!

Clio1792