Reviews for The Black Cat
VegetarianSex chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
Powerful and devastating. How do you manage to channel the 1960s so perfectly? More, more, more!
ShakespeareCop chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
I wanted to review on this before I left for work, as I forgot to review on your previous story and I'm trying to make it a habit of reviewing on this fandom when I can, in order to support the authors whose works I admire.

First, I want to say what a wonderfully written piece this is. I think I mentioned before that I don't necessarily personally see Pete and Jim in a slash light, but all of your work is incredibly well done and an enjoyable read.

Secondly, I wanted to tell you that every bit of what you wrote was very true back in that era. By the time I became a police officer, our state had repealed the sodomy laws, but I remember some of the older officers reminiscing about literally "gay bashing" during club raids and what "fun" it was to beat the crap out of some poor guy, just because he was gay. It always made me sick to think of my fellow police officers getting a thrill out of using excessive force like that against the citizens we were sworn to serve and protect.

So I applaud you for writing this story, it serves well to remind us of a darker time in our society and bring to light the fact that such things really DID happen back then.
Sugarfoot chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
fuioeruteriougjdfkjghuohyeru iherjgdfkgh righjughdfjkgh dkfhgkdfhgjdfhgjdfhgj dhfghdfughyrtyerjkgh jkdgh jkdfhgdfkjghuierhurhjrkehgjk dfhgjk

Translation: THAT ENDING MAN, THAT ENDING.
Bamboozlepig chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
GAH, I forgot to mention how the secrecy also rang true...chalk that forgetting up to being interrupted by a squawking guinea pig who thought she heard the arrival of treat. But yeah, homosexuality back then was seriously closeted and kept under tight wrap, and often only a select few knew if someone was gay. So you portrayed that angle very well, too. And you can thank Chloe for interrupting my original review and forgetting to put that in there when I got back to it! (And now my train of eloquence is shot, all due to a noisy guinea pig, damn it.)
Bamboozlepig chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
I'm so glad you wrote this story, it is so agonizingly beautiful that it ranks up there with your Blackberry Bush piece. The struggle you've portrayed is as relevant now as it was then, and I love Pete's emotional turmoil as he fights to find a safe balance between the two worlds he inhabits. Porter's betrayal of their friendship is breathtakingly stunning and inherently cruel as he ultimately rejects Pete with a blanket condemnation of "what he is" and not the content of Pete's character or the personality of the man he has been friends with for a number of years. The remark the cop makes to Sgt. MacDonald about not wanting "the sickos" around his kids really struck true as to how people's fear and ignorance can shape their prejudices and make them hate without really trying to understand WHAT they're so blindly hating. So I'm glad you wrote this, it is an extremely powerful and thought-provoking story and very well written, IMHO.
Aconitum-Napellus chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
Wow, that was hard to read. I mean, the subject matter, not the writing. I'm not an Adam-12 fan but I knew it would be good because I know your writing. I was wondering today what it might have been like for GM in the 50s/60s, and perhaps that answered my questions.