Reviews for Uncle Simon
Sandy chapter 1 . 9/10/2014
Very well written! Most of the time when people "play in someone else's universe", they don't get the characters right, or the scenery. This comes out almost as if Ms. Bujold had written it herself-if she had to time to do the little "irrelevant" background bits. The little snips of Miles's childhood, the unknown relationship between him and Simon, the follow-up to Ivan's marriage-everything is just as it should be.
Beloved Daughter chapter 1 . 6/29/2014
Brilliant story! Simon is one of my favorite characters from this series and it was lovely to see a story about his relationship with Miles as he grew up. Quite a few poignant scenes. I particularly loved the hospital scene and the red food dye.
Amanthya chapter 1 . 3/18/2014
P.S. Sorry for the double review, I just have a new appreciation for this fic after trying to re-read the last two books.
Amanthya chapter 1 . 3/18/2014
That was perfect, utterly perfect, in every way and every part. I loved it. Especially the part where Illyan is grilling Miles about the Order of Merit (and Miles's thoughts are so perfect it could have been Lois writing). But the whole thing was 10/10, the Merit part just pushed it to 11/10. You did every character justice, detailed nicely and chose your dialogue well. Thank you for sharing this, it really helps make up for some of the things we don't see in Alliance or Cryoburn.
Reba Jean chapter 1 . 3/5/2014
Marvelous. This is a great addition to the Vorkosiganverse fanfiction. Very nice journey through the years exploring the relationship between Miles and Simon.
triggerpoints chapter 1 . 10/23/2013
I like the changing perspectives on Simon and Miles' relationship
Guest chapter 1 . 10/5/2013
Loved it what miles never said but should have.
Amanthya chapter 1 . 5/10/2013
So many important scenes...the one where Illyian forgives Miles hit me most deeply - like I'd been waiting for it, needing to see it, without knowing it. And the ending was warm and wonderful, the perfect ending note. I loved the whole thing.
jes13 chapter 1 . 4/30/2013
Just re-reading this and loving it more. It feels right. Thanks!
Queen of the Red Skittle chapter 1 . 3/29/2013
You write so beautifully. Thank you for sharing this story.

sparky40sw chapter 1 . 1/4/2013
I have loved the Vorkosigan universe for 20 years, to the point of donating at least 3 sets of the stories to various libraries where I have lived, and reading Shards of Honor to my wife to get her hooked on the series. With that background - you are in every regard worthy of sharing here. Well written, lovely spare style, with every word just right for the sentence, and nothing wasted.

thanks so much for sharing.
wanderingsmith chapter 1 . 12/23/2012
beautiful story. had me in tears several times.
think I'll recommend to my father (who likes LMB).. who knows, you might introduce him to fanfic!
GoldenRoya chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry...

Seriously. This is an incredibly amazing story - well, series of stories. I love the morphing of Miles' and Simon's relationship through the years, and the deft way you dealt with the difficult parts - I was a bit weirded out that you seemed to skip over Miles' getting fired, but reading on, I saw why. Bravo.

My favorite part, though, is at the end, where Simon gets his revenge on Miles for all of Miles' most hairbrained stunts. ""Now that, is revenge. I notified your parents that you were missing in action three times. And I notified them of your death."" Ooh, ouch, burn! I wonder what-all we might refrain from doing as youngsters if we knew how badly our parents (or uncles, whatever) were panicking on our behalf. And what sorts of revenge they may enact later...

Incidentally, excellent handling of the Cetagandan affair. I'd never quite looked at it from Simon's POV before, and he's right - the political compost heap Miles waded through is appalling. One wonders what might have happened if Miles had done as he ought and turned the baton over right away... Hm, there's a mystery there, methinks.

Anyhow, wonderfully done! This is going right to the top of my story favorites list, and, I suspect, straight to head-canon.
Hettie chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
Lovely. Completely believable. I enjoed it.
Thobbit chapter 1 . 9/22/2012
"He came to a playful attention before Miles. "Lead on, commander." " Is when all my waff receptors were overloaded, but I managed to struggle through and d'aaawwwww! Simon is absolutely my favorite character.